Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Chrysler to Replace '05 Convertible Tops Under TSB - YAHOO!!

Old 12-30-2013, 05:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Chrysler to Replace '05 Convertible Tops Under TSB - YAHOO!!

I was lucky to have mine replaced for free last year. My car was imported into Florida and was traced to fall under the warranty program. I know someone else who had to pay $1200 towards the cost. I believe all owners should be given a warranty and Chrysler is being selfish as to who gets their tops replaced. I have had my share of grief with tires wearing out every 20,000 miles, Crankshaft Sensor and RCM Module problems, ash trays that are staying open, front end alignments with a special bolt etc etc etc....what will fail next?

Old 12-30-2013, 09:54 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Re: Chrysler to Replace '05 Convertible Tops Under TSB - YAHOO!!

Don't misunderstand; we love our car despite the (mostly minor) quirks. She is a Keeper! I've enjoyed doing most of the maintenance, even at my age. I would like to have a new truck someday, but Chrysler service has certainly chased us away as future customers!

Old 12-30-2013, 11:01 PM
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by ed1313ed
I was lucky to have mine replaced for free last year. My car was imported into Florida and was traced to fall under the warranty program. I know someone else who had to pay $1200 towards the cost. I believe all owners should be given a warranty and Chrysler is being selfish as to who gets their tops replaced. I have had my share of grief with tires wearing out every 20,000 miles, Crankshaft Sensor and RCM Module problems, ash trays that are staying open, front end alignments with a special bolt etc etc etc....what will fail next?
I run Hankooks and if I drive decently, I can get 30,000 to 33,000 on a set of tires. I kinda wonder what tires you are running that you are only getting 20,000 miles.

Actually, you have listed, I think, most of the common problems with the car - and the RCM resoldering isn't all that expensive to fix, you just need to find a local electronics or radio shop with a technician capable of soldering.

Once you replace the front end bolts, alignments are easily done - I had mine replaced last year and the guys at NTB can have the alignment done in under an hour.

Old 02-15-2014, 04:45 PM
Forum Regular
Lightbulb Re: Chrysler to Replace '05 Convertible Tops Under TSB - YAHOO!!

Please see our post today, 2/15, Re: Sticky: Roadster Rear Window... Thank You!

Last edited by lovecross; 02-15-2014 at 10:19 PM. Reason: clarify
Old 03-27-2014, 10:50 AM

Wife and I just bought a 2005 red roadster with 34K miles . After reading through the top problem threads I checked ours, and sure enough someone has repaired with what looks like epoxy. Car was originally delivered and has been in Texas its entire life. Would this be covered under the warranty even if repair does not appear to be leaking "yet" . There is some leakage indication on one side of the top. Thanks for any info, this forum is great and we love the car.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:23 PM

Well, after Chrysler declined any help in repairs on my 05 for the second time, I took matters into my own hands and ordered a top from stevewhitemotors on Ebay & had a local shop install it. Everything totaled out to around $1800, and it looks/fits perfect. A good chunk of the extra cost was the top pad set, which was $250.

The shop that installed it is Auto Interiors and Tops in Raleigh, NC (auto interior repair Raleigh convertible tops Raleigh accessory boat), I would highly recommend them. The shop looks dirty, but they do a great job.

It's great having a top that doesn't leak for the first time in over a year. I will not be purchasing another Chrysler ever again due to the way this was handled. I almost ended up trading in the X-fire for a 350Z Roadster..

Old:

New:

Old 04-09-2014, 05:31 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Sure looks nice now !
Hope you decide to stick with us.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:05 PM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by saturnine

Old:

Red Green could not have done better. Remember if you can't be handsome, you might as well be useful.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:37 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Red Green could not have done better. Remember if you can't be handsome, you might as well be useful.
Are you kidding !!!
That was quite obviously a job done by Billy Bob Turley from Shinbone, Alabama.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:21 PM
Forum Regular

If you live in CA, PLEASE write or e-mail(?) to CA Dept. of Consumer Affairs, Attn; Denise D. Brown, Director. Ask why Californians are left out of the Chrysler Warranty Extension for the Crossfire Roadster defective tops remedy??? Chrysler will not officially answer that question, in writing (because there is NO legitimate explanation when you look at all of the facts!) (forget, for a moment, that it is a convertible rear window, ANY detached vehicle window is serious, thus the Chrysler TSB in 2011, for only 9 States of first delivery) Mail (w/ documents?) to 1625 N. Market Blvd. Suite N112, Sacamento, CA 95834.THANK YOU!

Old 04-28-2014, 07:38 PM

Just wanted to reply to this thread and say thanks. Called Chrysler and found out we are covered by the extended warranty on the top ! 2005 x-fire 35k miles delivered to Texas. We bought last month and really like the car so far.
One question for anyone who has had this done: did you ask to keep the old top? Thought it might come in handy just in case

Old 04-29-2014, 10:34 AM
Forum Regular
Cool Re: Chrysler to Replace '05 Convertible Tops Under TSB - YAHOO!!

Originally Posted by samsdad
Just wanted to reply to this thread and say thanks. Called Chrysler and found out we are covered by the extended warranty on the top ! 2005 x-fire 35k miles delivered to Texas. We bought last month and really like the car so far.
One question for anyone who has had this done: did you ask to keep the old top? Thought it might come in handy just in case
Congratulations, your car was first sold in one of the Lucky States! Our's fell out one year ago. We called, always polite, they finally offered to cover $900 of the $2,500 cost. We said: not fair, they would not negotiate, nor put offer in writing, expired in 30 days. Wrote to Corp. with questions, US Mail, they never even responded! Few months later, filed local small claims case. Still No response! 5 weeks later, 2 suits show up on court day, one with fat "lawyer" brief case, he never spoke. Very busy courtroom, other rep. said something vague about climate, also rambled on about original warranty expiration (totally irrelevant). I was a little nervous, did a poor job in speaking, not bringing up all of the facts. Judge would Not look at my documentation (copy of TSB w/ official Warranty Extension from Oct/2011) which I should have included with my original filing. Got letter: we Lost! Disbelief, shock & disgust! Chrysler is Wrong and they know it! We won't stop fighting for everyone until time runs out for us, about 1 year. (other documents judge did not see: letter w/ reimbursement claim form mailed by Chrysler to "lucky places".

Old 04-29-2014, 01:24 PM

I have scanned over this thread but didn't see a list of the 9 states (where car was originally delivered) that the TSB covers. Is there a list somewhere?

Bob

Old 05-05-2014, 03:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Local area service manager offered to replace the top on my 06 for $915. He said that is half price. Not sure if I should do it or keep after Chrysler for a free repair.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:28 PM
Forum Regular
Exclamation Re: Chrysler to Replace '05 Convertible Tops Under TSB - YAHOO!!

Help, Please. An individual can make this request: ask NHTSA to hold a hearing on whether a manufacturer has reasonably met it's obligation to Notify and/or remedy a safety defect Or noncompliance with a Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard", as it pertains to the structural failure of the roof with a detached window, which has occurred to a majority of Chrysler Roadsters. Everyone potentially affected should have at least been notified regardless of where the vehicle was delivered. Time is of the essence. (safercar.gov)
THANK YOU!

Old 07-16-2014, 06:29 PM
Forum Regular
Question Re: Chrysler to Replace '05 Convertible Tops Under TSB - YAHOO!!

We have had contact with NHTSA, thanks for help from one of our U.S. Senators. NHTSA doesn't think detached window is an "unreasonable safety defect"!?! If interested, see safercar.gov . Look for recalls under 2005, Chrysler, Crossfire Roadster. Thanks for any help.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:08 PM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RED DOG
I bought my SRT6 roadster in Virginia June 2012 so it hasn't been in FL for two full years yet. I'm still going to write a letter to Chrysler and file a complaint with the NTHSA. Thinking this through a bit further however, I just ordered the 3M window weld adhesive and the related 3M glass primer. I'm going to try and re-attach my rear window glass. Hopefully it will hold until at least next June. The repair will actually cost about the same as if I had to have the rear window glass tinted in a new top.

Then next June I will contact Chrysler again. They should order and install a new top for me under the extended warranty bulletin X31 as they have already offered to do because I will have owned the car for two years and will be able to prove it's been in FL for two years (all the necessary notes are already in their computer file under my case number). Hopefully that will work (and save me about $1400.00 that I can use right now to buy my 62mm Karmen supercharger pulley and the bling bling belt wrap pulley kit from Late Model 21). I love it when a plan comes together!
This is a follow up to my original posts in this thread #764, #766, #768, & #771 quoted above . . .

So I contacted Chrysler Customer Care again, gave them my case number, sent them proof that I've owned the car for two years in FL . . . Guess what . . . They said they will process a claim and when it's approved they will notify my dealer to replace my convertible top at no charge to me. Everything is supposed to be approved by the first of next week. I am actually VERY surprised that this is apparently going to work out. I'm not holding my breath right now. I'll post a follow up when the job is actually done.

Old 07-24-2014, 03:51 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RED DOG
This is a follow up to my original posts in this thread #764, #766, #768, & #771 quoted above . . .

So I contacted Chrysler Customer Care again, gave them my case number, sent them proof that I've owned the car for two years in FL . . . Guess what . . . They said they will process a claim and when it's approved they will notify my dealer to replace my convertible top at no charge to me. Everything is supposed to be approved by the first of next week. I am actually VERY surprised that this is apparently going to work out. I'm not holding my breath right now. I'll post a follow up when the job is actually done.
They will probably come back with a "car was originally sold Aug. 2004.. sorry 10 year warranty has expired"..

I do wonder if they are calculating from the original purchase date or model year release date..

Old 07-27-2014, 11:35 AM
Forum Regular
Post Re: Chrysler to Replace '05 Convertible Tops Under TSB - YAHOO!!

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
They will probably come back with a "car was originally sold Aug. 2004.. sorry 10 year warranty has expired"..

I do wonder if they are calculating from the original purchase date or model year release date..
Pretty sure it is original purchase date. Still trying, with help from elected officials, to get State &/or FEDS to do Something. All model years & States of delivery were made the same & have or will fail.

Old 08-10-2014, 11:16 PM
Forum Regular
Question Re: Chrysler to Replace '05 Convertible Tops Under TSB - YAHOO!!

TOP QUESTION: does anyone know if Daimler/Chrysler or Chrysler Group conducted a safety recall or other safety campaign of the Crossfire Roadster in any foreign country, at any time, concerning the detached rear window defect/failure?

Quick Reply: Chrysler to Replace '05 Convertible Tops Under TSB - YAHOO!!