Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Class Action Lawsuit

Old 09-27-2016, 12:35 PM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts
Default Re: Class Action Lawsuit

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
Likewise, my toolbox is fully outfitted with both SAE & Metric tools. I've owned cars manufactured outside CONUS and if you wanted to perform any DIY work, you had to have Metric tools. But back 10+ years ago, when the Crossfire showed up in Chrysler service departments for work, most services mechanics didn't have the tools required to work on them. That's all I'm stating. In fact, when one thinks about it, the Crossfire may have been the only vehicle in the Chrysler lineup that was predominately metric or even had metric hardware. I now first-hand that the Chrysler dealership on my end of town back then had a specific toolbox fully loaded with metric tools so they could work on the Crossfire. Came up during a discussion with the Service Manager back then when I was pursuing something about the Crossfire.

And I agree with you that metric hardware is definitely more prevalent on current models, especially since the automotive market is more global today than say 10-15 years ago.
My 1993 Concord used some metric bolts and that is mentioned in the service manual, it says that metric bolts should not be lost and if unusable replaced with new ones. If I recall correctly my 1988 GMC van used some metric bolts as well.
So metric bolts are nothing new, I have had my metric tools for years and they were not purchased for the Crossfire or any foreign made vehicles. I also have a couple of sets of BSF/BSW wrenches as well, these are about fifty-five years old.

Old 09-27-2016, 01:17 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

I also have a couple of sets of BSF/BSW wrenches as well, these are about fifty-five years old.
Is that what used to also be called "Whitworth" ?
I still have some of those from my Triumph motorcycle days back in the 60's.

Old 09-27-2016, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Is that what used to also be called "Whitworth" ?
I still have some of those from my Triumph motorcycle days back in the 60's.
That is correct, I had them for my BSA bike and Austin car.
To confuse everybody the size on the wrench gives two systems sizes, the BSF and the BSW. For example, a 3/8 BSF has the same across flats size as a 5/16 BSW. Both systems use the same basic thread form, 55° as opposed to the standard US 60° included angle of the thread.
The only use I have for them now is my Myford lathe made in the UK in the fifties.

Last edited by onehundred80; 09-27-2016 at 04:24 PM. Reason: info corrected - hopefully.
Old 09-27-2016, 01:41 PM
Administrator
Received 879 Likes on 685 Posts

One lady on Facebook took her car to a dealer yesterday for an oil change.
They told her they had to keep it until the parts come in "For the recall on it".

So as to DEALERS, I say - to HELL with them.

Old 09-27-2016, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
They told her they had to keep it until the parts come in "For the recall on it".

And did you see my comment to her Mark ?

Old 09-27-2016, 03:35 PM
Received 522 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
My 1993 Concord used some metric bolts and that is mentioned in the service manual, it says that metric bolts should not be lost and if unusable replaced with new ones. If I recall correctly my 1988 GMC van used some metric bolts as well.
So metric bolts are nothing new, I have had my metric tools for years and they were not purchased for the Crossfire or any foreign made vehicles. I also have a couple of sets of BSF/BSW wrenches as well, these are about fifty-five years old.
Yeah, no doubt Metric & SAE fasteners have been in use on Detroit iron for some years. An example is my 2006 F-150 STX 4x4 Flareside. It has a 4.6 liter V-8 under the hood. And depending on where the motor was sourced from (Ford had 2 motor plants for this engine), the oil filter connection is either a 22 mm thread or a 3/4 inch thread. Mine has the 22 mm thread.

Old 09-27-2016, 03:36 PM

Now this is an interesting find!

Old 09-27-2016, 03:42 PM

That is correct, I had them for my BSA bike and Austin car. To confuse everybody the size on the wrench is the across flats size of bolts.
The only use I have for them now is my Myford lathe made in the UK in the fifties.
Yea, as I recall, a 7/16 Whitworth was somewhere around a 17 MM metric ......

Old 09-27-2016, 04:11 PM
Received 340 Likes on 300 Posts

Must have been the airbag recall. It may be 6 months until she gets her car back!!!

Old 09-27-2016, 04:17 PM

Yea, as I recall, a 7/16 Whitworth was somewhere around a 17 MM metric ......
What I said is wrong, I should have looked at the wrenches before shooting from the lip. The sizes on the wrenches have the BSF and Whitworth sizes, for example a 5/16 Whit (BSW) has the same across flats size as a 3/8 BSF.
Whitworth threads are coarse threads and BSF are fine threads.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am I understanding this correctly?

Its legal for a dealership to impound your car, without a return date, because they dont have the parts to fix something that they caused???

Old 09-28-2016, 09:36 AM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts

STEALERSHIP wants to charge her for storage charges! Either that, or an idiot is in charge there.

And did you see my comment to her Mark ?

Tell me, tell me!

Now this is an interesting find!

Dumb-A$$ stealership service manager!

Originally Posted by ZERACER
Must have been the airbag recall. It may be 6 months until she gets her car back!!!

Mine has been waiting for almost 6 months already, the car is in my garage since April 11th! There is NO WAY of knowing how long Chrysler will delay us owners (especially us LPW holders).

Originally Posted by JACxf

Its legal for a dealership to impound your car, without a return date, because they dont have the parts to fix something that they caused???

No, they cannot! They say the car is still able to be driven UNLESS they have modified the recall BUT they have not notified me yet (and I'm not holding my breath about Chrysler releasing ANY info).

Old 09-28-2016, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by JACxf

I am not aware of any recall that would identify your car as "not road worthy" requiring it to be "impounded" by any authority if particular defect were to fail. FEDS just warn you of the risk so you can make a meaningful decision regarding same.

If it were me, I'd have a court-ordered cease & desist paper served on the dealership service department & FCA based on stupidity of Service Manager. They'd probably have the car delivered to my house!

Think about it. If this particular dealer has taken the position that the car is unsafe to drive on public roadways. And is basing this on a Federal required mandate to recall & fix the defective TAKATA airbag module, it opens FCA up to significant legal action by other affected car owners since this dealer is an authorized representative of FCA.

Now we're talking "class action" lawsuit!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-28-2016, 06:41 PM

i am not aware of any recall that would identify your car as "not road worthy" requiring it to be "impounded" by any authority if particular defect were to fail. Feds just warn you of the risk so you can make a meaningful decision regarding same.

If it were me, i'd have a court-ordered cease & desist paper served on the dealership service department & fca based on stupidity of service manager. They'd probably have the car delivered to my house!

Think about it. If this particular dealer has taken the position that the car is unsafe to drive on public roadways. And is basing this on a federal required mandate to recall & fix the defective takata airbag module, it opens fca up to significant legal action by other affected car owners since this dealer is an authorized representative of fca.

now we're talking "class action" lawsuit!!!!!!!!!!!

I may want IN!

Old 09-28-2016, 06:43 PM

George, you still just going out and sittin in yer car and making ruuuba-ruuuba / vroom-vroom sounds, or are you driving it yet ?

Old 09-28-2016, 07:01 PM

George, you still just going out and sittin in yer car and making ruuuba-ruuuba / vroom-vroom sounds, or are you driving it yet ?

As a rule, NO! Mine doesn't make ruuba-ruuba sounds, and if it did I would not let Chrysler check it out!

I do sit in her, a lot...

Old 09-30-2016, 02:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And the Prowler is just now becoming somewhat a collectors marque, especially if it's a low mileage version.
You seem to be exactly right about that. There was an MB dealer here that sold a Prowler with 800 miles on it last month for $55,000!

I've been looking for one so I notice just about any that come up for sale. It's hard to find any under $30,000 now.

Old 09-30-2016, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
I may want IN!

The only people who make money on these class actions are the lawyers, the client pays for all rubber bands, staples, you name it and these might as well be gold plated staples for the amount they charge.
Forget the class action, sell it or drive it.

Old 10-01-2016, 04:25 PM

The only people who make money on these class actions are the lawyers, the client pays for all rubber bands, staples, you name it and these might as well be gold plated staples for the amount they charge.
Forget the class action, sell it or drive it.

Yeah Dave, the lawyers take a huge chunk. I am NOT going to sell her, BUT the only way to get their attention, is hit them in their corporate wallets (FCA Global, Chrysler North America, Takata, and any other swinging dick that can be added to it). Lawyers love deep pocket defendants!. 6 months waiting for an airbag (or some other solution for the fix like a swap temporarily, or bypass, or whatever) is totally outrageous. I believe they are sitting on their collective asses at FCA, to get sales generated ($ for them if I get tired and I buy another, AND $ for them if they do not have to fix mine under my LPW). I have asked them far too many times for INFORMATION, they do not want to give any info out. The latest, I have my Congressman in conjunction with NHTSA, looking into this for me. I gave FCA until the 11th of October to fix my car. After that a letter goes out to FCA and NHTSA. That's my mission, lets see what happens. If by @ 11 November (7 months since notification, 9+ years old defective airbag), I will start hitting the media with my case. If the media latches on, lets see how they explain that. There are many media advocate positions locally, to help confront the big guys. I see them helping many people. If I cannot get action in a DIY format, I'll ask them for help. Like that Sharon Stone movie Basic Instinct, I will not be ignored -Chrysler-! I'll continue to be a major PITA until my airbag is replaced.

I already had a 'Special Handling' senior rep telling me (in an email) that my car is safe to drive, lets see how they parse that if someone hits me and the damn thing cripples or kills me.

Tic Tock, Tic Tock, Chrysler!

Old 10-01-2016, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
".......If I cannot get action in a DIY format, I'll ask them for help. Like that Sharon Stone movie Basic Instinct, I will not be ignored -
Just keep your knees together when you talk to them or they will get the wrong idea about you.

Quick Reply: Class Action Lawsuit