Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Changed my air filter...?

Old 04-12-2012, 08:36 PM
jlw
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changed my air filter...?

Hey Guys,

I changed my air filter and in a few days I got the check engine light go on. To lean, bad gas, air leak at the manifold, and bad o2 sensors.

What did I do wrong? Loose MA? Love the car but the air filter seams a little weak to me.

Thanks for your help.....
Later

Old 04-12-2012, 09:56 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Re: Changed my air filter.....?

Originally Posted by jlw
Hey Guys,

I changed my air filter and in a few days I got the check engine light go on. To lean, bad gas, air leak at the manifold, and bad o2 sensors.

What did I do wrong? Loose MA? Love the car but the air filter seams a little weak to me.

Later
Sounds like you may not have put the air cleaner back on properly at the rear. James

Old 04-13-2012, 10:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Changed my air filter...?

When you say "air filter" do you mean air filters? on the N/A there are two filters, one one on each side of the engine cover/air filter box.

You do have to seat the rear of the box on the T.B. and make sure the it has sealed properly (rubber ring), then tap the front end down.

However, I'm not sure that alone would cause the check engine light on, have you read the codes yet to see what is not working correctly?

Old 04-13-2012, 10:17 AM
Received 540 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by jlw
Hey Guys,

Later
Air filter seems a little weak, what does that mean?
To lean, bad gas, air leak ...... are they problems you have or guesses?
Confused, sorry.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:34 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Changed my air filter.....?

Originally Posted by James1549
Sounds like you may not have put the air cleaner back on properly at the rear. James
I agree. Make sure the airbox is on there nice and tight.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:02 PM
jlw

Yes, two filters changed, sorry bout that. I had the codes checked and it had three different code numbers which I did not write down. Standard o2 sensor to lean code, code for bad gas (which I can rule out at this time), and a leak in the manifold which would be I guess, air intake valve or the mass air flow sensor.

I am going to check the connection to the air intake valve and the ma sensor this week-end.

Thanks for your help

Old 04-13-2012, 02:14 PM
Received 540 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by jlw
Yes, two filters changed, sorry bout that. I had the codes checked and it had three different code numbers which I did not write down. Standard o2 sensor to lean code, code for bad gas (which I can rule out at this time), and a leak in the manifold which would be I guess, air intake valve or the mass air flow sensor.

I am going to check the connection to the air intake valve and the ma sensor this week-end.

Thanks for your help
When I first got my '05 I found the engine cover was not down tight and I had no codes set and everything seemed fine. But another member here had a tear in the donut seal on the engine cover to MAF and did have a problem the cause of which was not easily seen. So check the seal for rips and tears.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:37 PM
jlw

The throttle body was loose, the bolts were not very tight. I cleaned the tb and replaced the o-ring. Pushing down on the airfilter must have broken the seal made by the silicon gasket causing a small air leak. $18.00 for the o-ring. I did not use any silicon gasket material, o-ring only.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:27 PM
jlw

After about 100 miles the light on again. Removed the TB and added some rv silicon and drove it about 100 minles and the light came on again. I am going to look for the leak in a different area.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by jlw
After about 100 miles the light on again. Removed the TB and added some rv silicon and drove it about 100 minles and the light came on again. I am going to look for the leak in a different area.

JL,
The "check engine" light comes on for any number of reasons. Leaving the gas filler cap lose will also cause the check engine light. I know you just changed both filters and found lose carb in the process. Just don't limit your focus to the filter change.

Here's another good site to bookmark as well.....

http://homepage.mac.com/gregmeach/XFire/

Old 06-12-2012, 07:49 AM
jlw

Auto zone checked the codes for me. To lean- bad gas, o2 sensor, manifold leak. I replaced the lean o2 sensors and changed gas stations. The only thing it can be is a manifold air leak. All the other cars I have owned had clamps at every rubber joint. I will check the codes again but I think it is a leak.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:46 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by jlw
Auto zone checked the codes for me. To lean- bad gas, o2 sensor, manifold leak. I replaced the lean o2 sensors and changed gas stations. The only thing it can be is a manifold air leak. All the other cars I have owned had clamps at every rubber joint. I will check the codes again but I think it is a leak.
Do the propane torch test.
In case you are not familiar with this, you use a UNLIGHTED propane torch around all the places there might be a leak while the engine is idling, if the idle speeds up, YOU FOUND IT !!!

( if you are a smoker, it is not advisable to do so while running this test )

Last edited by ala_xfire; 06-12-2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:47 PM
jlw

The latest... I have had the TB off four times, bought (2) TB o-rings and (2) rear O2 sensors. I bought hose clamps and clamped every thing I could on the funky TB hose assembly. Tripped the service engine light and drove it 35 miles and the light came on again. When I started having problems with this was after I replaced the air filter and the car sit through the winter and I started driving it this spring the light came on for the first time. I decided to change the air filter and bought a different brand Nappa. I tripped the light and drove the car 60 miles and the light came on again. I was going to take it to have someone look at it. First I decided to drive it to our family reunion which is 600 miles, light was on. I came home and it sat overnight. I took it out for a short drive the next day and the light was no longer on. I have driven it a couple of hundred miles and the check engine light is still off.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:44 AM
jlw

One last note. I got the same codes a year later and a few months later the codes showing two front o2 sensors were bad. I found out that additives in cheap gas will turn the tip of these o2 sensor pink and they will have to be replaced.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:18 AM

Tighten the oil filter cap - make sure it's snug as mine was leaking causing the lean bank one/two code. Aligning the two triangles wasn't tight enough.