Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Rear window detachment - tsb 23-035-11

Old 04-26-2012, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear window detachment - tsb 23-035-11

Following is my dialogue with Chrysler on my rear window detachment:

Replace convertible top under TSB 23-035-11
Comments:
My rear window has detached from the canvas top twice. I have reglued
the
window using Gorilla glue but it is only a temporary fix. When the
window
detached, the rear window defroster also failed. TSB 23-035-11 extends
the
waranty on this item for 10 years. My VIN does not come up as part of
the
extended waranty. Why? The window detachment is a dangerous road
condition that can result in harm to others. I am requesting that my
vehicle be included in the TSB noted above. Thank you.

Dear George:

Thank you for contacting the Chrysler Customer Assistance Center regarding your 2005 Crossfire.

We regret to learn of the problem you are having with you rear window.

Unfortunately we can not add you vehicle into the TSB you described in your email. Technical Service Bulletins are informational bulletins relating to issues about a specific automotive component or area, and the procedures needed to address the issue. They are published to assist mechanics in resolving issues with customer vehicles. If your vehicle is added in the future you will be notified by mail.

Thanks again for your email.

Sincerely,

Maria

Customer Service Representative
Chrysler Customer Assistance Center

Comments:
Maria, Thank you for your prompt reply. I am still not clear why some
Crossfire's are getting an extended waranty on the faulty convertible
tops
and others are not. My understanding is that the extended waranty was
put
in place because of the faulty back window separating. The waranty was
extended to 10 years on that part. Why would my convertible top be
excluded? George Christofely

Dear George:

Thank you for contacting the Chrysler Customer Assistance Center regarding your 2005 Crossfire.

The reason that your vehicle is not included in the extended warranty is because the vehicle was not shipped to a dealer in one of the states on the list. The effected states are Alabama, Louisiana, South Carolina, Florida, Missouri, Tennessee, Georgia, North Carolina and Texas.

Thanks again for your email.

Sincerely,

Maria

Customer Service Representative
Chrysler Customer Assistance Center

Old 04-26-2012, 02:31 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Rear window detachment -tsb 23-035-11

Nice. I have one just like it.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:11 PM
AlG
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine was replaced back in January but they told me it was because I had taken out the extended warranty. I have no idea where the car originally was delivered as it was an ex Alamo rental. I originally used Gorilla Glue as well and it worked quite well although it looked like crap. I found that when I glued the window back I made two six inch prop rods to hold the window up against the top until it dried. I put them on the read deck up against the bulkhead. Left them there for a day and it stayed quite well. Had it like that for five months until the top was replaced. Only thing I worry about now is what happens if the same thing happens this summer. Chrysler said the warranty was good for 10 years and 100,000 miles but I don't know if they'll replace it more than once.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:23 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Looks like the TSB only applies to vehicles shipped to the "hot" south. I guess all you rebels can either send your roadsters to me in Michigan (where I will gladly drive them for you) or move north.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:16 PM

mine was originally shipped to chysler itself in detroit, i bought it with 5k miles on it and transfered the warranty to myself. i live in key west and of course my window came out. it was not on the lis tof cars covered because of where it was origianlly shipped, i was persistant and kept calling until i got a yes, keep trying. i now have a brand new top.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:47 PM
Forum Regular

Any Roadster owners from Mississippi here?

Old 05-25-2012, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by zcuda
mine was originally shipped to chysler itself in detroit, i bought it with 5k miles on it and transfered the warranty to myself. i live in key west and of course my window came out. it was not on the lis tof cars covered because of where it was origianlly shipped, i was persistant and kept calling until i got a yes, keep trying. i now have a brand new top.
Zcuda, what number did you use to contact Chrysler, I have been told that my wifes was delivered to Illinois and even though it has been in GA/Fl since 2006 it will not be covered. any help would be welcome. I tryed the 3m repair and the window just fell completly out again.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:35 AM
Received 343 Likes on 303 Posts
Default Re: Rear window detachment - tsb 23-035-11

How do you find out where your roadster was originally delivered? Crossfires have probably been relocated more than any other model manufactured.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:23 AM

i used Marine Goop and mine stayed glued for a few years

Old 06-17-2013, 10:25 PM

I am copying a response from another member. My problem continues. It's just the list of people who turn me down continues to grow. Please review the enclosed and write if you have questions. Maybe this will work, maybe not. They've had enough bad press already, a little more that poses a bodily injury threat might help. God forbid someone is killed or maimed by a flying sheet of glass. The punitive damages alone will be enough to put Chrysler out of business. I think it would also be very helpful if we had a count of vehicles involved. Something I can represent as potential plaintiffs in a class actiion.

Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you. I have been slugging it out with Chrysler to the point of an increase in my blood pressure. What I thought was a positive outcome, turned into an unmitigated disaster.. The Customer Assist robot told me to take the car to the dealer to get it assessed. He had turned me down numerous times so I thought that this was a new development. Turned out, same old, same old. The dealer took some photos then they turned me down. This is the dealer that originally sold the car. You cannot get anyone in management at headquarters on the phone. They have devised a system where everything is handled through an internal e mail system. Nobody comes to the phone. Pretty clever. Maybe it works in Italy. Anyhow, after the Service Manage promised me he would call me back tomorrow and try a few more things, he didn't return the call at all. I left messages and no return phone call. I called him awhile ago and unloaded on him.

The important thing, I think, is not to move forward with litigation. Unless something really stupid happens wear a sheet of glass kills or maims someone, it's an expensive proposition. I have been educated as a lawyer but chose real estate so never practiced. I have been referred from one attorney to another seeking someone who might take the case.

The better thing, I think, is the media. Living in Los Angeles all my life, I have a few connections that might get this story on the local news. Perhaps humiliating and embarrasing the bastards might work. It will surely bring bad press to Chrysler which is trying to stay afloat. They have serious recalls with Jeeps and other cars. Engine fire and stuff like that. Perhaps the story gets picked up and makes national news. I am suggesting that everyone contact their local news station's investigative reporter. I will attach the e mail I sent in case you want to use some of it. If complaints come from all over the country they will surely take some action. Plus all of the documentation we all have is damning.

When I hear from a local investigative reporter, I will let you guys know. If a story is generated, I would like to have at least 20 cars in LA for the shoot. Please advise if you can participate.

I will keep everyone posted. Write if you have questions.

I have told Chrysler in no uncertain terms that this will not stand. They don't know who they're fooling with.

Ian

Old 06-17-2013, 10:27 PM

Oops. This is a response I sent to another member.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:12 PM

I thought it looked familiar! Good luck with the investigative reporter - I hope it works out.

KevinL

Old 06-24-2013, 01:01 PM
Forum Regular

Having never owned a convertible before I did a bit of research before buying mine. The average life expectancy of a convertible top is 5-7 years. Vinyl tops are less at 3-5 years. This comes from several convertible top manufacturers.
If something should fail on my top on my almost 9 year old car, guess what, I got several years of basically free time out of it!
I cannot believe people keep throwing around lawsuit this and lawsuit that over failure of something that is beyond its normal life expectancy!
Hate me if you want, but top failure is a risk you take when owning a convertible that is older than 5 years. The blame cannot be placed on anybody but yourself. Can't accept the risks? Buy a brand new convertible or top and enjoy it for 5 years then replace it. Don't want to do that? Don't buy a convertible!
The time has come to accept responsibility for your own decisions.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:45 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFreak69
Having never owned a convertible before I did a bit of research before buying mine. The average life expectancy of a convertible top is 5-7 years. Vinyl tops are less at 3-5 years. This comes from several convertible top manufacturers.
If something should fail on my top on my almost 9 year old car, guess what, I got several years of basically free time out of it!
I cannot believe people keep throwing around lawsuit this and lawsuit that over failure of something that is beyond its normal life expectancy!
Hate me if you want, but top failure is a risk you take when owning a convertible that is older than 5 years. The blame cannot be placed on anybody but yourself. Can't accept the risks? Buy a brand new convertible or top and enjoy it for 5 years then replace it. Don't want to do that? Don't buy a convertible!
Wear and tear at joints-seams..fading.."plastic" window deterioration (Miata).. these I would expect.. not the glue letting go and dropping the whole window out. Would you like to be behind one and have that rear glass kissing your grill or windshield? Probably real lucky owners have noticed it letting go before it's come to that.
Just my .02's worth on the subject... and was a real deciding factor for trying to find one before the wife went Vette..

Old 06-24-2013, 04:19 PM
Forum Regular

The glue hardens and can crack with age, happens with every kind of glue known to man. The fabric that the glue is adhered to to hold the glass to the top deteriorates.
Sure I do not want that to happen to my car, nor do I want to be following someone that it happens to, or any part falling off the car in front of me for that matter. BUT the fact remains that it can happen. Will the rear window come flying out and kill someone? Not hardly. It is larger than the opening and is retained by the defroster wires if/when it does happen. Frequent inspection of the seam can prevent complete failure before it happens. I check my car over fully at least every other week, rear window seam included. If/when the seam looks to be separating, guess what, I will have to top replaced. Goes with the territory.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:26 PM

I'm with MrMiata - my '05 has 36K on it and has been garage kept since I bought it in 2008 (with 16800 on it); normal wear and tear I can accept, but hundreds of incidents of the glass falling out points to a manufacturing defect or poor quality materials/installation - all of which fall under the purview of the manufacturer.
I did a little bit of digging and found this website run by NHTSA: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchComplaints
If you search under 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster 79 complaints come up (mine will be #80); of those, 74 are related to the top. Another 25 can be found searching under Convertible.
I am one of the ones denied by Chrysler: I've since filed a complaint with the BBB in East Lansing and with NHTSA, and would everyone else to do the same - hopefully it'll get Chrysler's attention.

Thx,
KevinL

Old 06-24-2013, 04:27 PM
Forum Regular

Sorry I missed You in Yakima man, My 05's top looks almost new to New. I treat it twice a year with Ragg top convertible top cleaner, and I fully expect my top to last at least another ten years. Perhaps 20. I always park it under a carport or in a garage at home so that It is not always bombarded by UV rays ( in Seattle lol).

Your right Greg, if the window is falling out because of something that the manufacturer did then They should be held accountable, and Clearly Mopar Chrysler admit to some wrongdoing. In certain cases.
Originally Posted by MoparFreak69

Old 06-24-2013, 04:52 PM
Forum Regular

Google 'window falling out of convertible top'. You will find this problem affects all makes. Nobody else warranties the tops after 5+ years and I don't blame them. Audi would tell you to pound sand, not sure why Chrysler even agreed to help anybody out. It is completely beyond any warrantable timeframe. If the car was under 5 years old, that would be a different story. Thats like them giving you a warranty on your original tires because they are dry rotted. Makes no sense to me whatsoever. As soon as you accept that any time past 5 years or so is borrowed time with your top life becomes easier.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:09 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AlG
Mine was replaced back in January but they told me it was because I had taken out the extended warranty. I have no idea where the car originally was delivered as it was an ex Alamo rental. I originally used Gorilla Glue as well and it worked quite well although it looked like crap. I found that when I glued the window back I made two six inch prop rods to hold the window up against the top until it dried. I put them on the read deck up against the bulkhead. Left them there for a day and it stayed quite well. Had it like that for five months until the top was replaced. Only thing I worry about now is what happens if the same thing happens this summer. Chrysler said the warranty was good for 10 years and 100,000 miles but I don't know if they'll replace it more than once.
If you list your car for sale on Ebay, it comes with a free autocheck report. I did that last night, and found out that mine was delivered to Florida, where it was a rental.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:19 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Abaton6
If you list your car for sale on Ebay, it comes with a free autocheck report. I did that last night, and found out that mine was delivered to Florida, where it was a rental.
So list it for 30 grand and get a free report.. and maybe a SRT6 vert when all said and done...

Quick Reply: Rear window detachment - tsb 23-035-11