Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Roadster rear window TSB - Rev "A"

Old 10-30-2012, 03:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Roadster rear window TSB - Rev "A"

Mine was done a couple of weeks ago. Drove into Chrysler handed over my copy of the TSB and drove away with a promise the top would be ordered immediately, which it was. Within less than two weeks I had my new top fitted by a 3rd party and it couldn't be better and I couldn't be happier. The dealer in Pompano Beach was top shelf.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:25 AM

It gets confusing with 3 options for glue. I have always been a fan of 2 part glues that can be purchased at auto stores. Why can't Chrysler make a recommendation for their mistake. As for gluing, why not lift the back top up and glue from outside using deep throat clamps? Good Luck, Jim A

Old 10-30-2012, 06:43 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jim A
It gets confusing with 3 options for glue. I have always been a fan of 2 part glues that can be purchased at auto stores. Why can't Chrysler make a recommendation for their mistake. As for gluing, why not lift the back top up and glue from outside using deep throat clamps? Good Luck, Jim A
Sounds like a great idea. I learned a long time ago that even the best glues need to be clamped for maximum hold.

Mask off everything. Use wood strips to spread the load. Maybe 6 clamps.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:45 PM

My 2005 Crossfire with 72,000 miles has a slight rear window separation in the corners. I started trying to resolve the issue in October 2012 with Chrysler. I have called the following numbers and the answer always ended up the same: they will not repair the top. I called 800-763-8422 and the rep Christine would not call me back (I called 5 or 6 times) and because of time the case was closed. After getting another rep Jerrod the case was reopened and I had to call him 3 times and received no call back. Again due to time the case was closed. I got a hold of Jerrod and he said someone tried to contact me, I didn’t call back and the case was closed. If someone contacted my cell there was no message! Lie number 2, Jerrod said the Chrysler dealer where I took it for observation said I knew the window was separating when I bought the vehicle.
I got the following numbers from the Crossfireforum. I than called 800-247-9753 and they said that my vehicle was not covered. Finally I called 800-992-1997 and was told my vehicle was not covered due to the state it was delivered to. They only seem to cover several south eastern states.
I'm as disappointed in the way I was treated and lied to as not getting the window fixed. This is a big enough problem that someone needs to research a fix. I believe the correct adhesive, properly applied will work. The adhesive could be applied and the top put up to tighten the fabric while adhesive dries. Without the fabric being tight there is too much pull on the adhesive. Thanks, The Crossfire is great but it is my last Chrysler, Jim

Old 08-07-2014, 01:38 PM

Well the dealer balked at the replacement top in September 2012. Now the rear window has failed completely and I'm in negotiations with Chrysler for the top replacement. The SB they read to me only included 7 states. unfortunately Oklahoma isn't one of them. tell me about the state upgrade please.

Old 08-09-2014, 01:51 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by danielcool
Well the dealer balked at the replacement top in September 2012. Now the rear window has failed completely and I'm in negotiations with Chrysler for the top replacement. The SB they read to me only included 7 states. unfortunately Oklahoma isn't one of them. tell me about the state upgrade please.
They lied, there are 9 States. Find copies of TSB/Warranty Extension, Letter sent by Chrysler to "select" group. Ask dealer why OK is different than TX or LA or Missouri etc. etc. etc.??? Ask Corp. same question??? Ask your State Dept of Consumer Affairs same question??? Ask for written response.

Old 08-10-2014, 03:27 PM

mine is a 2006 model that I purchased new in 2007 Never had a problem with the top until recently when one corner of the window seal opened up. I took it to my local dealer where I bought it but they turned me down for any assistance, telling me to try gluing it myself. After much thought and reading the forum and owner's experiences I decided to do just that. I bought some 3M 5200 in black and it when it cured it was better than before. I figured if it didn't work, I could always go for a new top, but not from Chrysler because they told me the replacement top is the same as the original and will "probably no doubt " come loose again in time. At least they were honest with me but this particular service department did not appear to be very familiar with this top problem and came across as not caring either and so I'm very disappointed with them now having two Chryslers cars in the garage..

Old 08-10-2014, 04:30 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

My original top was built by Karman, the replacement top from Chrysler I just installed came from a different manufacturer, Valmet.
HOWEVER, upon researching , I find that Valmet purchased the Karman convertible top business, so they are probably in fact identical with the same tendency toward rear window separation.
If anyone BUYS a replacement top, go with the GAHH top, lifetime warranty on glass separation :

GAHH: Convertible Tops, Auto Interiors, Quality Convertible Tops

or

Old 08-10-2014, 05:03 PM

Karman built those original tops and frankly, I heard they always had a good reputation in canvas and also hard top convertible construction but someone somewhere dropped the ball on this one. My local service rep at the Chrysler dealer (where I bought the car) told me the replacement tops were of the same construction which is why I'm shying away from that Chrysler replacement which by the way, is more expensive than a Gahh top by about 1000. My repair job came out pretty good and so far, I think I'm back in business with the rear window being secure which will allow me to take my time in replacing it.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
My original top was built by Karman, the replacement top from Chrysler I just installed came from a different manufacturer, Valmet.
HOWEVER, upon researching , I find that Valmet purchased the Karman convertible top business, so they are probably in fact identical with the same tendency toward rear window separation.
If anyone BUYS a replacement top, go with the GAHH top, lifetime warranty on glass separation :

or

I think it's a bit much that they need your old top...I wouldn't have a car to drive for two weeks!

Old 08-11-2014, 06:32 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

I wouldn't have a car to drive for two weeks!
Yes you would, but I wouldn't recommend getting caught in the rain, or parking it outside anywhere.

Old 09-09-2014, 02:08 PM

Is there a way to get verification that this revision covers roadsters from all states? My dealership is balking at fixing. Thanks all -

Old 09-09-2014, 03:00 PM

my dealer turned me down very quickly... gave me all kinds of excuses why they cannot help with a repair or a replacement top.... but they offered to sell me a new top, installed for about $3000. or I could try fixing it myself. Since my canvas was really in great condition, I opted to take their advice and fixed it myself with 3M 5200 in black. It really came out good and I'm happy with the results, it seems secured well now, tough as nails. but I'm still very disappointed with my Chrysler dealer.

Old 11-25-2014, 04:24 PM

After three (3) months of dealing with Chrysler (corporate), my 2005 Roadster top has been replaced at no cost under the TSB. I am so thankful to forum for providing guidance, resources and suggestions throughout the process. Yes, I am one of the fortunate ones, although the car was originally delivered to Iowa the car was in FL from 2006-2013 and GA since 2013. Interestingly enough, the first replacement top did not fit properly and was damaged; the second top seems fine. While Chrysler covered the full cost of the replacement top including a rental vehicle (and an additional $610 for a new top motor/relay board that malfunctioned somewhere between the 1st and 2nd replacement top), the local dealer (10 minutes from house) would not assist us. Rather we had to drive 45 minutes away to another dealer – Mall of Georgia Chrysler Dodge Jeep RAM (Buford, GA). The staff could not have been more gracious in assisting us and I would highly recommend them. On the other hand, the local dealer, Troncalli Chrysler Dodge Jeep RAM (Cumming, GA) refused to assist us and told Chrysler Corporate they would not accept the warranty coverage because we were not “loyal customers”. Please know that we recently moved from FL to GA in 2013 and in a year put 500 miles on the Roadster… in fact, it has 23,000 miles total (we even shipped the vehicle to GA in an enclosed carrier – talk about a car that has been babied)…so, how much service is needed? Regardless, I can’t believe that Troncalli would not honor Chrysler Corporate’s decision to cover the repair and wanted to let other GA forum members know about Troncalli’s unwillingness to assist. What especially is frustrating is that we are in the process of buying another vehicle and I refuse to go to Troncalli for this purchase and/or future service needs. We are loyal Mall of Georgia customers now and happy to share our experience.

I would encourage any forum members who experience the dreaded back window “fall out” to contact Chrysler Corporate 800-763-8422 – document all conversations and be persistent. PM me for other details if desired.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:01 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on your out come

Old 11-26-2014, 07:59 AM
Received 522 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by Pidgas
After three (3) months of dealing with Chrysler (corporate), my 2005 Roadster top has been replaced at no cost under the TSB. I am so thankful to forum for providing guidance, resources and suggestions throughout the process. Yes, I am one of the fortunate ones, although the car was originally delivered to Iowa the car was in FL from 2006-2013 and GA since 2013. Interestingly enough, the first replacement top did not fit properly and was damaged; the second top seems fine. While Chrysler covered the full cost of the replacement top including a rental vehicle (and an additional $610 for a new top motor/relay board that malfunctioned somewhere between the 1st and 2nd replacement top), the local dealer (10 minutes from house) would not assist us. Rather we had to drive 45 minutes away to another dealer – Mall of Georgia Chrysler Dodge Jeep RAM (Buford, GA). The staff could not have been more gracious in assisting us and I would highly recommend them. On the other hand, the local dealer, Troncalli Chrysler Dodge Jeep RAM (Cumming, GA) refused to assist us and told Chrysler Corporate they would not accept the warranty coverage because we were not “loyal customers”. Please know that we recently moved from FL to GA in 2013 and in a year put 500 miles on the Roadster… in fact, it has 23,000 miles total (we even shipped the vehicle to GA in an enclosed carrier – talk about a car that has been babied)…so, how much service is needed? Regardless, I can’t believe that Troncalli would not honor Chrysler Corporate’s decision to cover the repair and wanted to let other GA forum members know about Troncalli’s unwillingness to assist. What especially is frustrating is that we are in the process of buying another vehicle and I refuse to go to Troncalli for this purchase and/or future service needs. We are loyal Mall of Georgia customers now and happy to share our experience.

I would encourage any forum members who experience the dreaded back window “fall out” to contact Chrysler Corporate 800-763-8422 – document all conversations and be persistent. PM me for other details if desired.
Congrats on the Happy Ending!