CrossfireForum.org

- CLICK HERE TO GET RID OF THESE ADS -
Go Back   CrossfireForum.org > Cars > Crossfire Roadster

Welcome to Crossfire Forum!
Welcome to Crossfire Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please
join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2012, 01:51 PM

Default Hydraulic cylinder for convertible

Does anyone know a reliable place to buy either rebuilt or new hydraulic cylinders for the trunk
mounted lift system? These are prone to leak and quite expensive from dealer to repair.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:14 PM

Default Re: Hydraulic cylinder for convertible

All the Cylinders? There is the Latch cylinder (front and center on the roof near the winshield) two roof cylinders (one each behind the driver's and passenger's outer shoulders) and two trunk (lid) cylinders (one each in the outer/rear most wells of the trunk.

So far, the cylinders that are most easily rebuilt with the O-rings are the latch and roof cylinders. The trunk lid cylinders are crimp based assemblies and most likely require special tools.

This rebuilder does a great job.... Mercedes Cylinders for R170 SLK-Class 98-03 - Top Hydraulics, Inc

And a great how-to pdf http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/R170...%20Removal.pdf

WTF? slk32 has 5 cylinders, crossfire has 6 cylinders? Anyways here is the crossfire link http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/en/29-chrysler-

Last edited by bruco1; 08-24-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:58 AM

Many thanks for your recommended hydraulic rebuild company. My leaking cylinder is the one on the right wheel well in the truck and
appears to be quite hard to get at. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and get Chrysler to repair it. Does Mercedes do this kind of repair or
is the 98-03 SLK a different cylinder? I've heard that some Crossfire owners use Mercedes over Chrysler repair and maintenance shops.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:22 PM

I'd avoid the dealerships.. they usually just take the car to a shop that does convertible tops, even the BIG dealers here in Atlanta do that.
Then, you pay extra to line the pockets of the dealership.

Find an automotive specialty shop that works on tops. There is one on the south side of Atlanta, for instance, that does work for most or all dealers in the area. I think you'd do better just dealing with such a shop directly.

IF you would edit your profile such that your city and state appear in your posts (like mine do), it would be easier for us to advise you of where to go. As it is, you could be literally ANYWHERE in the WORLD for all we know. This applies to anyone posting on this forum and asking for help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Founding member and Grand Pooh-Bah of the Crossfire High Mileage Club - 107,560 and counting!
Issues so far: EGR Valve Replaced, Ignition Cylinder Repaired, Twice Resoldered RCM

"Built on the Mercedes R170/SLK320 platform... the Crossfire has taken on, sort of, a cult following."
Old 08-27-2012, 01:48 PM
Forum Regular

What pizzaguy said. It's odd that the hydraulic reservoir would simply fail, there's been a few leaky ones, but l haven't heard of one failing. Good luck selling that kidney, lol.

'05 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster//6MT, 130K+ miles
EUROCHARGED

"The undisturbed mind is like the calm body water reflecting the brilliance of the moon. Empty the mind and you will realize the undisturbed mind." - Yagyu Jubei
Old 08-27-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indelibility View Post
What pizzaguy said. It's odd that the hydraulic reservoir would simply fail, there's been a few leaky ones, but l haven't heard of one failing. Good luck selling that kidney, lol.
in benz land there are tons of recorded seal failures in these cylinders. the worst locations stain the headliner.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaguy View Post
IF you would edit your profile such that your city and state appear in your posts (like mine do), it would be easier for us to advise you of where to go. As it is, you could be literally ANYWHERE in the WORLD for all we know. This applies to anyone posting on this forum and asking for help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
+1, +2, +3, etc. etc... Let us know where you are, members!

2008 XF Limited Coupe
Machine Gray Clearcoat
Dk Slate Grey/Med Slate Grey
5 Spd AutoSchtick With NAV
Continental Contitouring Contact Tires
Purchased NEW @ 23 Miles On 24 July 2009
21,380 miles as of 10/23/2014
Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H7 High & Low
Descreened MAF/Debaffled Elbow
Biggest Stereo System Bang For The Buck Mod
Centric Posi-Quiet Ceramic's on all 4 Wheels
NEW Chirping Siren Installed with OEM 1, I Have 2 Now!
74mm TB/74mm MAF MOD, WOW 16 June 2012
Eurocharged ReTuned 18 June 2012
Old 08-27-2012, 10:18 PM
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruco1 View Post
in benz land there are tons of recorded seal failures in these cylinders. the worst locations stain the headliner.
Really? That sucks, guess I'll have to keep a closer eye out.

'05 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster//6MT, 130K+ miles
EUROCHARGED

"The undisturbed mind is like the calm body water reflecting the brilliance of the moon. Empty the mind and you will realize the undisturbed mind." - Yagyu Jubei
Old 08-28-2012, 10:35 AM

Thanks to all who replied. I just joined the forum a few days ago after buying my 2005 Roadster
2 months ago. I will search for a convertible top repair shop in my area of Orlando, Florida as well as
updating my profile.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:35 AM
Advertisement