Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Hydraulic cylinder for convertible

Old 08-24-2012, 12:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydraulic cylinder for convertible

Does anyone know a reliable place to buy either rebuilt or new hydraulic cylinders for the trunk
mounted lift system? These are prone to leak and quite expensive from dealer to repair.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:14 PM
Default Re: Hydraulic cylinder for convertible

All the Cylinders? There is the Latch cylinder (front and center on the roof near the winshield) two roof cylinders (one each behind the driver's and passenger's outer shoulders) and two trunk (lid) cylinders (one each in the outer/rear most wells of the trunk.

So far, the cylinders that are most easily rebuilt with the O-rings are the latch and roof cylinders. The trunk lid cylinders are crimp based assemblies and most likely require special tools.

This rebuilder does a great job.... Mercedes Cylinders for R170 SLK-Class 98-03 - Top Hydraulics, Inc

And a great how-to pdf http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/R170...%20Removal.pdf

WTF? slk32 has 5 cylinders, crossfire has 6 cylinders? Anyways here is the crossfire link http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/en/29-chrysler-

Last edited by bruco1; 08-24-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:58 AM

Many thanks for your recommended hydraulic rebuild company. My leaking cylinder is the one on the right wheel well in the truck and
appears to be quite hard to get at. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and get Chrysler to repair it. Does Mercedes do this kind of repair or
is the 98-03 SLK a different cylinder? I've heard that some Crossfire owners use Mercedes over Chrysler repair and maintenance shops.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:22 AM
Administrator
Received 879 Likes on 685 Posts

I'd avoid the dealerships.. they usually just take the car to a shop that does convertible tops, even the BIG dealers here in Atlanta do that.
Then, you pay extra to line the pockets of the dealership.

Find an automotive specialty shop that works on tops. There is one on the south side of Atlanta, for instance, that does work for most or all dealers in the area. I think you'd do better just dealing with such a shop directly.

IF you would edit your profile such that your city and state appear in your posts (like mine do), it would be easier for us to advise you of where to go. As it is, you could be literally ANYWHERE in the WORLD for all we know. This applies to anyone posting on this forum and asking for help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-27-2012, 12:48 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What pizzaguy said. It's odd that the hydraulic reservoir would simply fail, there's been a few leaky ones, but l haven't heard of one failing. Good luck selling that kidney, lol.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Indelibility
What pizzaguy said. It's odd that the hydraulic reservoir would simply fail, there's been a few leaky ones, but l haven't heard of one failing. Good luck selling that kidney, lol.
in benz land there are tons of recorded seal failures in these cylinders. the worst locations stain the headliner.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:30 PM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
IF you would edit your profile such that your city and state appear in your posts (like mine do), it would be easier for us to advise you of where to go. As it is, you could be literally ANYWHERE in the WORLD for all we know. This applies to anyone posting on this forum and asking for help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
+1, +2, +3, etc. etc... Let us know where you are, members!

Old 08-27-2012, 09:18 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bruco1
in benz land there are tons of recorded seal failures in these cylinders. the worst locations stain the headliner.
Really? That sucks, guess I'll have to keep a closer eye out.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:35 AM

Thanks to all who replied. I just joined the forum a few days ago after buying my 2005 Roadster
2 months ago. I will search for a convertible top repair shop in my area of Orlando, Florida as well as
updating my profile.