Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

2006 Roadster

Old 08-31-2012, 01:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 2006 Roadster

Our 06' has started doing a few strange things. 1: Driver's seat moans and groans when adjusting it in any direction. You would think an elephant was sitting in it. It does this even if no one is sitting in it while adjusting! 2: The wing goes up when starting the car without depressing the button. 3: The radio will play without the key in ignition. 4: Alarm sometimes goes off when entering even though it's unlocked. Has anybody go any ideas why this is happening? BTW, it has just over 26K miles and we live in the Phoenix area of AZ. Thanks!

Old 08-31-2012, 01:39 PM
PNA
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 2006 Roadster

Originally Posted by Thomas Barbaruolo
Our 06' has started doing a few strange things. 1: Driver's seat moans and groans when adjusting it in any direction. You would think an elephant was sitting in it. It does this even if no one is sitting in it while adjusting! 2: The wing goes up when starting the car without depressing the button. 3: The radio will play without the key in ignition. 4: Alarm sometimes goes off when entering even though it's unlocked. Has anybody go any ideas why this is happening? BTW, it has just over 26K miles and we live in the Phoenix area of AZ. Thanks!
Hope this helps.
1. Try lubricating the tracks for the seat. Also, check to make sure something isn't stuck under there making it bind.
2. If you have the original battery, you may be experiencing the battery gremlin. Weird things happen when the battery is going bad. Even if it appears to be OK, it may be going bad. The spoiler is one of the indicatros.
3. The radio is designed to play when the car is off. HOWEVER, if it's doing it all the time........ again, could be the battery.
4. Check out threads on here regarding the Alarm. Do a search. there are several possibilities.

Good luck.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2-4 definitely sound like they are related to battery issues.

Old 08-31-2012, 03:53 PM

Thanks, we have had some slow engine turnovers plus it is the original Varta battery. Sure wish Costco sold a battery that would fit. They said they don't. PNA...any thoughts on what lubricant would be best for seat rails? There isn't anything stuck under the seat and our friends 2005 Roadster is making the same horrible sound. Thanks again!

Old 08-31-2012, 04:34 PM
PNA

Thanks, we have had some slow engine turnovers plus it is the original Varta battery. Sure wish Costco sold a battery that would fit. They said they don't. PNA...any thoughts on what lubricant would be best for seat rails? There isn't anything stuck under the seat and our friends 2005 Roadster is making the same horrible sound. Thanks again!
If you have the original battery, sounds like the culprit.

As far as the grease, you could check with the dealer to see what they would use. You could also check the service manual to see what they say about lubricants. I'd look but I can't right now. I do know I used white lithium grease with my spoiler when it was squeaking. It worked great. It comes highly recommended for most uses. I purchased it at my local auto store.

Old 09-02-2012, 02:51 PM

I have an 06 roadster, and are having some of these problems. I also have found a garage that works on Crossfires (Aamco) I have no confidence in the Chrysler dealer. Aamco verified that the battery is most likely the source and after it is the original and 7 years old, it's time for a replacement. He also said that you cannot just take out the old one and put in a new one. There are things to be done before and after. Since I am due for a oil change too, I will see how it goes. They are going to do this Tuesday, so I will post back as to how it goes.

Old 09-02-2012, 02:58 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by ewaynec
He also said that you cannot just take out the old one and put in a new one. There are things to be done before and after.
Actually you can just take your old battery out and install your new one with no problems.

But the garage will probably plug in a 'memory saver' to your OBD2 port while changing the battery to save any pre-set radio stations you have. The Crossfire radio does not need a 'code' nor reprogrammed.

Also most of the time, the ESP/BAS light will be 'on' the dash after a battery change or dead battery. Simply turn the steering wheel lock to lock and that will go away.

James

Last edited by James1549; 09-02-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:07 PM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

I have an 06 roadster, and are having some of these problems. I also have found a garage that works on Crossfires (Aamco) I have no confidence in the Chrysler dealer. Aamco verified that the battery is most likely the source and after it is the original and 7 years old, it's time for a replacement. He also said that you cannot just take out the old one and put in a new one. There are things to be done before and after.
Well AAMCO is wrong, seems you just can't trust anybody. They say these things just to charge you for something you could do without.

The radio will lose its presets and you will have to turn the steering wheel, people say lock to lock but a simple turn on to the road from my drive cured the light problem.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:13 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Dave, yes most of the time a simply turn of the wheel will work. However I have seen it where it took several lock to locks to make it go out. What makes the difference, I don't know.

James

Old 09-02-2012, 03:19 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I was pleasantly surprised to find my Clarion maintained its presets while changing the battery.. Only additional thing I had to do was the seat belt chime deactivation.. and nailed it on the first try.. lol.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
I was pleasantly surprised to find my Clarion maintained its presets while changing the battery.. Only additional thing I had to do was the seat belt chime deactivation.. and nailed it on the first try.. lol.
It may be a matter of how long the battery is disconnected with regard to the radio, but I am not sure.

All your changes to door locking, seat belt chime etc will return to the default settings. I remembered that when my seat belt kept yapping at me when it was not fastened and locks only needed one hit of the fob button
to open them all.

Old 09-03-2012, 02:26 PM

Installed a new battery on Saturday and all the "weird" things stopped! Simply pulled out the old battery and popped in the new on, reconnected the cables, pos then neg, and everything is good to go. Shopped around for a battery first and most were $150 and up. Called Costco and they recommended I check Batteries Plus. They sell three that fit and decided to go with the middle priced one. The battery fits exactly like the Varta and was only $116....SOLD!! Only had to reset the clock and lost a couple radio presets. Nothing else seems to be affected by having the battery out of a few minutes. Yeah!! Now we need to address the creaky driver seat rails. The manual says to use a Mopar lube.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:47 PM
PNA

Installed a new battery on Saturday and all the "weird" things stopped! Simply pulled out the old battery and popped in the new on, reconnected the cables, pos then neg, and everything is good to go. Shopped around for a battery first and most were $150 and up. Called Costco and they recommended I check Batteries Plus. They sell three that fit and decided to go with the middle priced one. The battery fits exactly like the Varta and was only $116....SOLD!! Only had to reset the clock and lost a couple radio presets. Nothing else seems to be affected by having the battery out of a few minutes. Yeah!! Now we need to address the creaky driver seat rails. The manual says to use a Mopar lube.
Glad things are on the mend. Mopar lube or something similar (white lithium) should work.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:31 AM

I went to Aamco this morning for my 8:30 appointment. Without relaying the back and forth conversation, He said I was supposed to leave the car for at least day. I said he never told me that... This man was dr. jeckle last week and mr. hyde today. I hate it when a business tells me what I must do in order to give them my money. I am back home now, frustrated, with nothing done.
A side issue, I took a ride out in the country yesterday. I found a long straight stretch, and ran her up to 115 MPH @ 4000 RPM. No noises or vibrations. It felt like I was doing half that speed.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:36 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I went to Aamco this morning for my 8:30 appointment. Without relaying the back and forth conversation, He said I was supposed to leave the car for at least day. I said he never told me that....
Guess they decided everyone needed to test drive it.. so keeping all day was the only option!

Old 09-04-2012, 11:02 AM

I went to Aamco this morning for my 8:30 appointment. Without relaying the back and forth conversation, He said I was supposed to leave the car for at least day. I said he never told me that... This man was dr. jeckle last week and mr. hyde today. I hate it when a business tells me what I must do in order to give them my money. I am back home now, frustrated, with nothing done.
A side issue, I took a ride out in the country yesterday. I found a long straight stretch, and ran her up to 115 MPH @ 4000 RPM. No noises or vibrations. It felt like I was doing half that speed.
Why are you taking the car to AAMCO for an oil change, they do transmission work and if you leave it with them they will find something "wrong" with your transmission. I would check up on the reliability of this shop as some of these shops have a somewhat dubious history of complaints.
I am sure that if you asked them they would be Ferrari experts as well. KEEP AWAY FROM THEM.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:08 AM
PNA

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Why are you taking the car to AAMCO for an oil change, they do transmission work and if you leave it with them they will find something "wrong" with your transmission. I would check up on the reliability of this shop as some of these shops have a somewhat dubious history of complaints.
I am sure that if you asked them they would be Ferrari experts as well. KEEP AWAY FROM THEM.
I second, third and fourth this sentament. I have no idea why you would take your car to AAMCO for anything. While an oil change isn't rocket science, you'd need to make sure they use the propoer oil (do they even have it), use the appropriate filter (do they even have it) and then put the proper amount of oil in............and reset the system so it knows the service has been done. I expect they needed it all day so the could go get the oil, the filter and then test drive if for a few hours.

One hundred is right about them looking the car over and finding something wrond too. OR, they'll just tell you it's time for services that you don't really need............

It's not just AAMCO shops, but it's shops like them...........Merchants, etc.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:34 PM

I appreciate your concern, and I know you want to steer me away from shady repair shops, but, I have done business with this guy before as well as he is highly recommended by people I know that have had work done. The Aamco here is not just a transmission place. They are most likely the most complete and extensive repair shop in north Alabama. I also have an extended warranty that they honor and can do anything my car may need.
I am not trying to do a Aamco commercial, but I take it personally. I hope you didn't automatically assume I did not check out a place or product. I will not just let anyone work on my car, and I will not let them use just any product.
I have changed my mind about the battery I am going to change it myself. I found the exact replacement. I will still let Aamco change the oil because I just don't want to do it.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:12 PM

Thanks for the info. It just seems strange that the erratic drivers side speed movement could be caused by the battery. I'm hoping that someone else has had the same problem , I was thinging maybe a relay or a switch. Looking for a sure thing fix .