Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

ALL who have had new SKREEM Modules

Old 11-05-2012, 09:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ALL who have had new SKREEM Modules

For all those that have had the Mystery No Start

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...art-issue.html

and/or repaired the RCM

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-no-start.html

AND ended up having to get a new SKREEM module, have you been able to get your original part returned to you? My dealership says they are required to return these to "Chrysler".

Seems strange as there was no "core charge" mentioned when I called around for the parts. The reason I ask is there was a huge volume of poor quality surface mount fuses dumped onto the market in the mid to late 2000's. I've had 2 TVs go out and the cause was a surface mount fuse that blew. The resolution was to by a matching component and solder around the blown fuse with a net result of about $500 of repairs in my pocket PER TV.

Just curious if it is A) TRUE that Chrysler demands them back and B) are they doing this to hide an obvious defect in a very simple part????

Here is some useful information I got elsewhere.

Case Number: S1108000127
Release Date: 8/16/2011
Symptom/Vehicle Issue:
No Start/No Crank. PCM has code 2071-08 present.
Discussion:
Vehicle may not crank or may only crank for a few seconds and not start. Code 2071 description
reads Start Enable Message from the SKREEM module not received by PCM. Check communication
status of SKREEM. If no response from SKREEM, check power and ground circuits to SKREEM
module. Load testing is preferred. If ok, check status of CAN bus. If other modules are
communicating, replace the SKREEM module.
NOTE: Replace the SKREEM only. It is NOT necessary to replace the PCM or
key when installing a new SKREEM.

Case Number:
S1208000005
Release Date:
01/05/2012
Symptom/Vehicle Issue:
No Start, No Crank; Code 2071-08 Or P2071 In PCM - Start Enable Message Not Sent
Discussion:
Check the Can C wiring circuits from the SKREEM to the PCM. Terminals and wiring should be
checked; Can C voltage should be 2.5v.There has been a few reported cases where the bus wiring
was damaged at the SKREEM module. Also review the B+ feed and the fused engine control relay
output at the PCM. There have been a few reported cases of relay control modules not supplying the
proper power feed to the PCM. Validation required at the PCM C5 connector, pins 3 and 9. Replace
the SKREEM module as needed.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:53 AM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts
Default Re: ALL who have had new SKREEM Modules

Originally Posted by vicki
For all those that have had the Mystery No Start

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...art-issue.html

and/or repaired the RCM

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-no-start.html

AND ended up having to get a new SKREEM module, have you been able to get your original part returned to you? My dealership says they are required to return these to "Chrysler".

Seems strange as there was no "core charge" mentioned when I called around for the parts. The reason I ask is there was a huge volume of poor quality surface mount fuses dumped onto the market in the mid to late 2000's. I've had 2 TVs go out and the cause was a surface mount fuse that blew. The resolution was to by a matching component and solder around the blown fuse with a net result of about $500 of repairs in my pocket PER TV.

Just curious if it is A) TRUE that Chrysler demands them back and B) are they doing this to hide an obvious defect in a very simple part????

Here is some useful information I got elsewhere.

Case Number: S1108000127
Release Date: 8/16/2011
Symptom/Vehicle Issue:
No Start/No Crank. PCM has code 2071-08 present.
Discussion:
Vehicle may not crank or may only crank for a few seconds and not start. Code 2071 description
reads Start Enable Message from the SKREEM module not received by PCM. Check communication
status of SKREEM. If no response from SKREEM, check power and ground circuits to SKREEM
module. Load testing is preferred. If ok, check status of CAN bus. If other modules are
communicating, replace the SKREEM module.
NOTE: Replace the SKREEM only. It is NOT necessary to replace the PCM or
key when installing a new SKREEM.

Case Number:
S1208000005
Release Date:
01/05/2012
Symptom/Vehicle Issue:
No Start, No Crank; Code 2071-08 Or P2071 In PCM - Start Enable Message Not Sent
Discussion:
Check the Can C wiring circuits from the SKREEM to the PCM. Terminals and wiring should be
checked; Can C voltage should be 2.5v.There has been a few reported cases where the bus wiring
was damaged at the SKREEM module. Also review the B+ feed and the fused engine control relay
output at the PCM. There have been a few reported cases of relay control modules not supplying the
proper power feed to the PCM. Validation required at the PCM C5 connector, pins 3 and 9. Replace
the SKREEM module as needed.
In Ontario the repairer is required to give you the parts that he exchanged and charged you for. This does not apply when you have something replaced under warranty. He cannot show you the part and keep it when you paid for it unless you tell him that he can keep it.

It is yours as you originally paid for it, that is simple logic.

The US has much more stringent laws on consumer protection. You can tell them that you know the law and bluff them out or you can look it up and quote the law number and maybe show them in writing.

Good luck.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:42 PM
AlG
Forum Regular

If it's a warranty part it has to be sent back to actually prove that the dealer did the work. Back in the late 80s there was a Chevy dealer where I lived that billed GM for $400,000 of warranty work but didn't have the old parts to prove they were actually replaced. He was sued, had to pay back GM and lost the franchise.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by AlG
If it's a warranty part it has to be sent back to actually prove that the dealer did the work. Back in the late 80s there was a Chevy dealer where I lived that billed GM for $400,000 of warranty work but didn't have the old parts to prove they were actually replaced. He was sued, had to pay back GM and lost the franchise.
Ya, that's the way I understood it all as well which is why I asked. Seemed REALLY squirly to me. I've left a VM for the Service Manager. THIS is why I hate things I can't fix on my own!!!!!

Old 11-05-2012, 03:58 PM
AlG
Forum Regular

If you paid for the module you're entitled to get the old one back. Usually you have to ask for the old parts in advance though. It's probably gone by now.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:05 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

yep, the law is if you pay, and let them know up front you want the old parts, then that is what they have to do. If it is replaced under warranty, you aren't entitled to the old parts, but on occasion, they may not have to turn them in, and they will give them to you. Especially if you have a working relationship with them. Like a long time repeat buyer.... I know an owner really well, but most of the time, hell about 99% of the time, which isn't much anymore since I won't go there, I can't get the old parts back. They even sell the old parts for scrap today...whether warranty or not...

Old 11-05-2012, 11:43 PM

So the service manager called me back today and said it was a Chrysler "type 11" part and was required to be returned to be remanufactured. He didn't know if there was a core charge to enable me to keep it.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:11 AM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts

So the service manager called me back today and said it was a Chrysler "type 11" part and was required to be returned to be remanufactured. He didn't know if there was a core charge to enable me to keep it.

Its the "L" word, and I don't suggest "L" is for LIAR but... They hold warranty parts for 'they say' fault diagnosis but I believe in the majority of the cases in a platform that has a proven track record, its to prevent someone from finding out themselves what went wrong and going public, which would cost them huge BUCKS. The business of business is left to the lawyers who advise them to ****** that part (or parts) quickly before someone outside their non-disclosure statements gets it. Once that happens its a litigious act that involves a huge company against a very small minority (the customers that want their car fixed if it has a bad batch of parts, for free).

Shameless pimp for someone's non-funtional heat/ac head so I can tinker with it (provided no-one else has tried tinkering with it before)! If your replacement fixed what was wrong with your system, I want to try to find out what went wrong with the non-functional one.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:24 AM

Ask him to put that in writing.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:28 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vicki

If your state has a Lemon Law, you can keep your parts. If they want them back call the AG of your state and let them know that they are not giving you back your parts. they will stop this in their tracks for sure.

Kj

Old 11-10-2012, 02:44 PM

OK, picked up the car today and the lovely new SKREEM is installed and the car is working. I spoke to the service manager and told him I needed to know the core charge on the old module because I wanted to keep the old part. He could not find a core charge listed anywhere. At that point I ensured him I was aware that the part is then mine unless he was picking up the cost of the repair. I have this little 3x3x3/4 inch box in my clutches. Total cost about $550 TTL.

One side note, after replacing the SKREEM the car started but was running VERY rough, throwing multiple codes for misfire and others (per dealer - P0202, P0206, P0306, P0300, P0135, P0412, P2009). The problem was traced to dirty connectors in the C2 and C3 plugs to the PCM. Upon closer inspection, it appears to have been corrosion build up and was actually visible white crust in the pin connectors. My theory is that the car sits so much that some corrosive gas from the battery was able to actually build up and permeate the case containing the PCM and RCM. After cleaning the connections with spray contact cleaner and a toothbrush, the car is running great. Suggest that everyone who puts up the car for the winter find out if it's AOK to remove the battery as you would with a boat or ensure there is ventilation to keep this from happening to them.

I'll be putting the analyzer on it tomorrow to validate.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:24 PM

That's a very interesting observation about corrosion. I wonder if there's a correlation between people who have this problem and whether their car sits for extended periods. Is there a geographic concentration? North/Northeast/Rockies? Not Deep South/Southwest/parts of the West where it does not snow?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks.

Last edited by Mopar or No Car; 11-10-2012 at 06:24 PM. Reason: can't spell to save my life
Old 04-17-2014, 02:05 PM

My 2007 crossfire with 12,000 miles..just stopped.. was told it was the skreem module...if i had been in traffic..this would have been disasterterous. Is chrysler doing anything about what i consider a safety issue..besides expense...

Old 04-17-2014, 02:34 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

skreem generally will not shut down the engine once it's started, but the CPS sensor surely will.
Did it crank over OK after it shut off ( and possibly a cool-down period ) ?
If so, then 99.9% sure it's a CPS related failure.
get a $50 Bosch CPS and look up the DIY thread, save yourself tons of $$$$$

Old 04-17-2014, 04:11 PM

The 2007 crossfire with 12,000 6 speed manual... started... put in gear... started to back up it did not stall just faded off.... started it again and didnot put it gear before it faded off again and would not start.,, new battery all lights going on..no engine start even after several hours

Old 04-17-2014, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by jerseygirl
The 2007 crossfire with 12,000 6 speed manual... started... put in gear... started to back up it did not stall just faded off.... started it again and didnot put it gear before it faded off again and would not start.,, new battery all lights going on..no engine start even after several hours
If it's the SKREEM then the car will try and start three times and then not even try to start. I mean it will turn over (crank) and fire three times and then not fire up at all. Disconnecting the battery for a while will start that cycle all over again.
You may have the CPS problem, the three crank/fire up scenario is the SKREEM though.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:15 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jerseygirl
Maybe a fuel filter/pump? Can you check if you're getting any fuel pressure at the fuel rail?

Old 05-03-2014, 08:20 PM

Add me to the Skreem failure club. Mine went out, luckily parked in home garage (all winter). Interestingly, for several months, the car would turn over one time and not start. Every time, restarting was successful until the last time when it turned over once, then nothing. All lights on, horn worked, battery fine. Had it towed to Chrysler, trouble code revealed the Skreem failed. $675 including part ($189), car runs fine. Took a week to get car returned. If CF stored in winter, should the battery be removed? Is this effecting the SKREEM module per one of the posts?? Anyone have some input on this? Would be most appreciative. Thanks.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by BisB
Add me to the Skreem failure club. Mine went out, luckily parked in home garage (all winter). Interestingly, for several months, the car would turn over one time and not start. Every time, restarting was successful until the last time when it turned over once, then nothing. All lights on, horn worked, battery fine. Had it towed to Chrysler, trouble code revealed the Skreem failed. $675 including part ($189), car runs fine. Took a week to get car returned. If CF stored in winter, should the battery be removed? Is this effecting the SKREEM module per one of the posts?? Anyone have some input on this? Would be most appreciative. Thanks.
When ever disconnecting the battery for an extended time, all the puter stuff doesn't like it. Things shut down, radio stations become unprogrammed, so the best thing is to leave it in car and attach a battery "maintainer", NOT a trickle charger. Many times the components in the alarm system in our cars "talk" to each other, and when a component fails, the system thinks someone is trying to "monkey" with the car, so the car either doesn't start, the siren can go off, or starts and stops to prevent drive away. Hopefully your problem is solved, but be aware that at the age of our cars, the batteries in the siren (yes independent of the main battery) are starting to fail. Might be your next issue. Just sayin, not predicting.......

Old 07-28-2014, 03:09 PM

where is this skreem module located ?

Quick Reply: ALL who have had new SKREEM Modules