Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Roadster roof D ring mechanism

Old 10-15-2013, 05:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roadster roof D ring mechanism

Hi all,
My 2004 Roadster roof D ring handle, has all of a sudden become loose, and when turned, makes a grinding noise.
The roof still latches and de-latches, but I guess something in the rotating part of the mechanism has let go.
Has anyone has the same problem, and what is the fix?
I guess replacement of the entire mechanism is required, but I don't want to go to Chrysler Australia, I am wondering if this part is a Mercedes part?
Any help greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Terry

Old 03-15-2014, 10:07 AM
Default Re: Roadster roof D ring mechanism

Any update on this... I'm having the same issue.

Old 03-16-2014, 03:27 PM

I wanted to give a little update on my findings after I tore into the mechanism . I didn't find much help on the internet on this subject. My findings was basically you would need to replace the entire d ring mechanism in order to properly fix it. I went ahead and took it apart to see if I could some how make it work until I found a replacement . When I removed it from the car and took it apart I realized that the only thing holding the handle shaft in place from moving up and down was a washer that was pressed fit onto the shaft that holds the d ring. I went ahead and reapplied the washer with a hammer and socket. It worked great until I tried to undo the top and it just popped out again. I went ahead and removed it again but applied jb weld on the shaft/washer after I repressed it onto the shaft. Let it sit over night and it worked great. No more play on the d ring and operates as its suppose to. this is a temp fix until I can source a used one for a descent price.

here is the mechanism I'm speaking about.

20140315_1440241.jpg

here is the washer that is pressed onto the shaft
20140315_1440421.jpg
20140315_1440511.jpg

Here is the actual shaft that the washer presses on to. Can you see the ridge on top where it sits.

20140315_1458061.jpg

Here is the washer pressed on... no jb weld has been applied yet.
20140315_1530501.jpg

Here is how it looked after I applied the jb weld and let it sit overnight. Woks just great now.

20140315_1618101.jpg

Hope this helps anyone that has this issue. The convertible top section has to be removed and pulled back by the front... where the top latches to the car on top of the windshield in order to access this .

Old 03-17-2014, 06:09 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Iamfink2 may be able to add to this as he is our resident ragtop repair guru.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:32 PM

I haven't resolved this problem yet, but thanks for your replies.
I had been still putting the roof down, until the other day, when the handle went really loose, and as the top went into the down position, a piece of metal fell into the luggage area, which I was unable to retrieve. I guess it was the washer.
I went to Chrysler yesterday, and the spare parts woman had a look at it and looked on her computer, and came back with, I need the Header Latch Kit (which doesn't include the handle). There is none in the country(Australia), they are on back order, probably take months to get in, and will cost at least $1100.00 for the part only.
I could possibly buy it from the states, but I am not sure which part I need based on the diagram I got from Chrysler.HANDLE, LATCH KIT. Header, Header Release. Crossfire. Rail Header & Latch Assembly; Rail Header and Latch Assembly - 27- Body. CHRYSLER CROSSFIRE (2005 - 2008) # 05174192AA, 05140984AA, 05143011AA
Also, how easy is it to peel back the front of the top cloth to gain access?
Looking at your photo's, I was wondering if after pressing the washer back on, whether a couple of dobs of weld from a Mig welder would stop the washer coming off.
Any help of advice would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Terry

Old 04-01-2014, 07:55 PM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

awdspyder98 - Very good show and tell on the problem and fix. Thanks for taking the time to take the pictures and sharing with everyone.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by AussieXFire
I haven't resolved this problem yet, but thanks for your replies.
I had been still putting the roof down, until the other day, when the handle went really loose, and as the top went into the down position, a piece of metal fell into the luggage area, which I was unable to retrieve. I guess it was the washer.
I went to Chrysler yesterday, and the spare parts woman had a look at it and looked on her computer, and came back with, I need the Header Latch Kit (which doesn't include the handle). There is none in the country(Australia), they are on back order, probably take months to get in, and will cost at least $1100.00 for the part only.
I could possibly buy it from the states, but I am not sure which part I need based on the diagram I got from Chrysler.HANDLE, LATCH KIT. Header, Header Release. Crossfire. Rail Header & Latch Assembly; Rail Header and Latch Assembly - 27- Body. CHRYSLER CROSSFIRE (2005 - 2008) # 05174192AA, 05140984AA, 05143011AA
Also, how easy is it to peel back the front of the top cloth to gain access?
Looking at your photo's, I was wondering if after pressing the washer back on, whether a couple of dobs of weld from a Mig welder would stop the washer coming off.
Any help of advice would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Terry
Im sure welding the washer back on would also do the trick, I would have done it but I was worried the heat would some how cause warping so I went the JB weld route. As far as what you would need to purchase from Chrysler... You would need the entire latch assembly .. HANDLE, LATCH KIT. Header, Header Release. Crossfire. Rail Header & Latch Assembly; Rail Header and Latch Assembly - 27- Body. CHRYSLER CROSSFIRE (2005 - 2008) # 05174192AA, 05140984AA, 05143011AA item #1
As far as peeling back the top.. I just undid the screws on the underside front on the top and drilled out the rivet's ( one on pass and drivers side holding a strap that's connected to the top and to the frame.)

Old 04-04-2014, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Toolman
awdspyder98 - Very good show and tell on the problem and fix. Thanks for taking the time to take the pictures and sharing with everyone.
glad I could help out. e are all here to help one another

Old 05-04-2014, 11:09 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Twice within the past week I noticed the D-ring has been hard to turn; however, it still goes up into the pocket so I'm not sure if I have the same problem mentioned above. Is there something I need to lubricate, and if so, what would you recommend I use?

Old 01-05-2015, 05:16 AM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by AussieXFire
If any of you still need to / want to replace the entire mechanism, I have it available for $250.00 + actual shipping cost. (I think that's a lot better than $1,100.00!) It's in great used condition.

I recently had to buy an entire convertible top framework from a salvage yard just to get the rear bow molding that I needed (because that part is no longer available from Chrysler). Please contact me directly at RedDogNumber1@aol.com for more information, photos etc . . . Good luck with your repairs . . .

Last edited by RED DOG; 01-05-2015 at 05:35 AM.