Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Leaky roof?

Old 11-17-2013, 09:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaky roof?

I have an issue with water collecting inside the convertible top frame. Any time it rains, water pools in the top rails on both sides (the sections that runs from the windshield towards the back of the car). It generally gathers right around the first "joint". When I am on an incline or accelerate moderately, it runs out and onto the driver and or passenger. Is there some sort of drainage hole that may be clogged. I am the 2nd owner of this car and it appears to have been an issue with the first owner as it looks like there has been enough water on the passenger side seat to make it look like someone peed themselves (seat has a butt sized water stain). So, again...clogged drain hole? Also, any help for the stained leather or should I just get seat covers?

Last edited by dogwood_laine; 11-17-2013 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-06-2022, 06:15 PM
Default Re: Leaky roof?

I'm having this same issue.
Tried to replicate the issue by pouring water in various places on roof but can't seem to induce the issue short of waiting for it to rain.
Kinda curious if it's water sliding under via surface tension.
I also noticed that it doesn't always happen on my drivers side ...passenger side is a different deal.

EDIT:
Also, I can drive it around in the rain fine without issue. It's just letting it sit in hard rain that causes it. Light rain causes no issue

Last edited by AlabamaCrossfireRoadster; 04-06-2022 at 06:17 PM.
Old 04-07-2022, 09:33 AM
Administrator
Received 883 Likes on 688 Posts

You say it's the "same" as the original poster, but is it? Where does it appear that the water comes from?

I once had water run out of the gasket on the passenger side as I put the top down - ONE TIME, during the test drive of my second roadster, I drove that car 70,000 miles over five years and it never occurred again. I have no clue what that was about. If it is coming from the side gaskets (over the windows) I'd look at how the gaskets are placed (they simply snap in place), if there are gaps between the gasket pieces, then sure, water can seep in and lodge there.

As our cars age, those gaskets are getting to be an issue. When we changed my top, I had to re-seat my passenger side gasket maybe six times over a few weeks before I got it in there correctly. But the car is never in the rain, so it never leaked.

Old 04-11-2022, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by dogwood_laine
I have an issue with water collecting inside the convertible top frame. Any time it rains, water pools in the top rails on both sides (the sections that runs from the windshield towards the back of the car). It generally gathers right around the first "joint". When I am on an incline or accelerate moderately, it runs out and onto the driver and or passenger. Is there some sort of drainage hole that may be clogged. I am the 2nd owner of this car and it appears to have been an issue with the first owner as it looks like there has been enough water on the passenger side seat to make it look like someone peed themselves (seat has a butt sized water stain). So, again...clogged drain hole? Also, any help for the stained leather or should I just get seat covers?

SAME ISSUE HERE! After some heavy rains (not all) and upon acceleration forward this "pooled water" will drain inside the vehicle and onto either the driver or passenger's SHOULDER leaving a dark dirty and gritty water substance on their shirt! There can be as-much-as a half cup of water that deposits right onto the individuals shirt and arm either causing staining or at least the need for a wardrobe change.

Based on the various comments on this thread (either happening on the driver side only/ passenger side only/ or sometimes BOTH) I draw the conclusion it must be more drain holes somewhere on the roof that are blocked. There are many drain holes in various places around this vehicle, BUT I CANNOT FIND WHERE or cannot find diagrams ect..... luckily it hasn't happened to me in a while so either mine are clear or it just hasn't rained enough. Good luck !