Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Interior Ergonomics

Old 11-10-2004, 05:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior Ergonomics

Regarding my 2004 Crossfire: This is a great car with absolutely fabulous “curb appeal.” It always draws a crowd. It is also fun to drive, with plenty of power and great roadability. It does, however, possess the following ergonomic limitations:

- The silver paint on the interior console produces significant glare for the driver when the sun hits if from the right side. This could be a major safety item.

- Additionally, the silver center pivots on both the speedometer and tachometer were inititally distracting during daytime driving. I found myself continually looking down at them (they drew my attention) while driving during the day. They become black at night and are unnoticeable. Again, a potential safetyitem.

- The storage compartment in the center console is almost impossible to access. One must reach around behind and feel to open it, then find items by feel inside. A possible safetyissue if the driver is distracted. Additionally, the cup holder would frequently pop up when either the driver or passenger rested their arm there. A similar problem exists with the window controls.

- The cruise control lever is difficult to reach, a little confusing, and just plain cheap. It does not belong in the Crossfire. My 300M and PT Cruiser have much more user-friendly and easy-to-use cruise control levers. This lever should be reachable without having to raise your arm and hand. Most drivers control the speed of their cars with these levers when freeway driving. The levers should be within finger reach (on the steering wheel of the 300M) without moving your arms or hands. This can only be done by holding the steering wheel high up with your left hand. This precludes resting you arm on the armrest. Another safety issue

- Whereas the Maintenance Manual calls for oil changes every 4,000 miles, the Owner’s Manual says 7,000 miles! This should be resolved. Additionally, there is no special warning of the fact that this car uses synthetic oil. Many drivers still check and change their own oil, and this should be prominently noted – by the dealer, in the Owner’s Manual, and in the Maintenance Manual. It is just casually mentioned in the Owner’s Manual.

- The turn signal lever is totally invisible to the driver. One must feel around to find it. This also includes the windshield wiper button on the end of the turn signal lever. It takes awhile to get used to this.

- A car of this price and prestige, should also have multiple delays for the windshield wipers. My 300M has this feature which I frequently use.

- Tires are a whole issue in themselves. Most Crossfires are equipped with the sport performance tires. However, all-season tires are recommended for snow and ice. Then, winter mud and snow (M & S) tires are required if chains are used. Most folks here in the Pacific Northwest frequently drive in snow and ice. Chains are frequently required when going over mountain passes. Your primary tire selection should allow for all conditions. Special, performance tires should be an option, not standard, even though this is a sports car. And dealers should have available the all-season tires.

- I haven’t yet started to look for chains and may not given all the above limitations. However, are “RUD-matic DISC” chains available in most stores? My guess is that most stores won’t know what I’m talking about.

- The garage and gate opening buttons above the courtesy lights must be found by feel. They are not protruding, but rather flush with the upper panel. Difficult to find/use. I solved this problem by punching out small dots from white electrician tape and attaching them to the buttons. This allows them to become quite visible and easy to find.

Love the car, but feel the ergonomics guys were asleep at the wheel.

Old 11-10-2004, 09:23 PM
Thumbs down Re: Interior Ergonomics

With all the negatives about the car, how could you possibly love it. I thought you were on track to tell us why you would never buy the car.

If you love the car, please give us some positives.

Old 11-10-2004, 09:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Interior Ergonomics

Gee, you are a little sensitive!
A lot of good points.
I drive a Roadster and never had a glare problem from the console paint. I'm usually wearing sunglasses when it's sunny out. Didn't notice any distraction from the guages either. I think the storage compartment is a little hard to access due to the fact that I have the drivers seat almost all the way forward because I'm short. If I'm in the passenger side with the seat all the way back, there's no problem. The cupholder I think was an after-thought for American drivers. I don't think too many European cars even have them.The oil issue, I would do what the owners manual said, and if I was confused, DC will probably answer questions (or come here, lots of people here can help with a lot of things. The turn signal,cruise control, washer etc. levers are different on a lot of cars. There is always that period of getting used to the way things work in a new car. Not sure the ergonomic people can do much there.
I don't think Chains are legal in MI. Maybe they could have options for tires for people who want different types. I think a sports car should have performance tires. Not sure you should drive a sports car in a snow storm, no matter what the tires. What if they don't plow the road and it piles up over 6". I don't think tires and chains would help. And if you live where it doesn't snow EVER, I don't think you should have to have tires you don't need. Thus options might be useful.
I think the garage opener buttens leave a lot to be desired also, especially since they don't work when the car is off. I'm always turning the car off before I close the door after I pull in. But I'm getting used to pushing the button first. Just takes a change in habbit.
New cars always take a little getting used to, especially if it's a change from what you had last.
I love my car also, and wish you the best with yours.
How long have you had it?

Old 11-11-2004, 01:07 AM

Jesus Christ dude...you should have gotten a different car!

Old 11-11-2004, 08:36 AM
Talking Re: Interior Ergonomics

Simply put if all these issues as you point out are a problem, and you feel unsafe sell the car. But none of your list of complaints have I had problems with.

Suggestion: Trade in the XF and buy a old school GREMLIN.....LOL!

Regards,
*Joking about the GREMLIN!*

PS.DC is accepting resumes for interior design engineers.

Old 11-11-2004, 01:07 PM

I agree with all of you. Buddy, you have got some personal problems. Get used to all the fine points of this fun to drive car.

Old 11-11-2004, 01:46 PM

BRADLOCK,
I bet we all sound like a linch mob, and I know that the people on this forum for the most part are really nice people. I guess it's because you registered and posted such a negative sounding post(your only 1 thus far, I might add) all in 1 day, it put me on the defensive! Hopefully you'll get over most of those things that you deem failing in the design and come to appreciate all the good things about the car!
I wouldn't mind hearing about some of your good adventures with your Crossfire! Where are you from?

Old 11-11-2004, 04:43 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Re: Interior Ergonomics

We are all individuals and see the negative and positive in all things differently. my top is down 90% of the time in my roadster, never had any issues with the silver trim producing a glare. I do alot of highway driving and very, very rarely use the cruise control. I can see the issue with the tires given your location and I agree about the console glove box. May I ask if you did any research on the car before purchasing it? The faults that you are speaking about in my opinion are not that bad, and the positive points out weigh them. Unfortunately cars are like people, its hard to find custom made people or cars in an off the rack world. I am sure once you bond with your Xfire, all the above issues will seem less important, except in your case the tire issues.

Just my 2cents.

Old 11-11-2004, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by CrossfireLTD
Unfortunately cars are like people, its hard to find custom made people or cars in an off the rack world.
Just my 2cents.
I never heard that before CrossfireLTD! That's pretty good!!

(I'd hate to be on the clearance rack, haha!)

Old 11-14-2004, 12:41 PM
Thumbs down Re: Interior Ergonomics

Maybe you should sell your car ASAP if you are so unhappy with it. Also, you should get ready to write to various weather sites, since, living in the Pacific Northwest, it will start to rain and/or snow soon. So get ready to whine about how big a SAFETY RISK that precipitation is! They should have designed it better when the world was created!

Give me a break!

Old 11-15-2004, 03:33 PM

The Crossfire's interior was one of three designs up for an excellence award by an automotive design association two weeks ago in Detroit. The RX-8 was one of the competitors and I forgot
which car had the third design that ultimately won the award. The article is in Autoweek.

Old 11-15-2004, 07:51 PM

I found that in the beginning, some of the items like the directional lever took getting used to ... how many times I moved the cruise control lever for the directionals, and washed my windshield getting into the car. I do still forget to close my garage door while the ignition is on and have to feel for the button at night when I am pulling into my garage. Most of the things on the list become easy to adjust to after a few days. I am very happy with the interior overall.

Old 11-16-2004, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by leebea
I found that in the beginning, some of the items like the directional lever took getting used to ... how many times I moved the cruise control lever for the directionals, and washed my windshield getting into the car. I do still forget to close my garage door while the ignition is on and have to feel for the button at night when I am pulling into my garage. Most of the things on the list become easy to adjust to after a few days. I am very happy with the interior overall.
I have to agree with Lee. The first few days I was having problems adjusting to the location of the directional. My cruise control got a work out though. And the buttons to open up garage doors and gates took some feeling around in the dark, but now it's a piece of cake. Give it some time. If this ol' dog can learn new tricks, anyone can.

Old 12-19-2004, 01:02 AM

I just bought my xfire and love the thing to death. Shifting into 6th is freak'n awesome! I'm very happy with my purchase. I have been driving it hard since i bought it 3 days ago. I just can't help it because i went from a 98 VW GTI...LOL!

Old 12-19-2004, 11:18 AM

I have to vote with the rest of the community. I am glad the focus on design was quality and not bells and whistles.

Old 12-19-2004, 06:02 PM

Rear visibility sucks, and changing lanes in heavy traffic makes me absolutely paranoid ... but, God do I love driving this car! I have never had one moment's regret.

Old 12-20-2004, 09:12 AM

You know guys I think that a lot of the people that complain about some of the features or lack of them are from the younger generation and expect passenger car features that are demanded by the general public in order to sell the normal van, suv, or luxo barge. I've even seen complaints that it takes 22 seconds to put the top down. Those of us that have had two seat roadsters for a looooong time appreciate this car for what it is, a gorgeous car that is fun to drive with a lot of features we never had before. Maybe some of these kids should go back and drive a MG TD , austin healy bug eye sprite, or try to put the top up on a datsun 2000 or get heat out of a sunbeam alpine. Hell my 81 fiat spider 2000 was pure luxury compared to those other cars I have all owned, driven and LOVED. They are what they are and I enjoyed every minute with the top down and a pretty girl in the passenger seat.(some of them had their top down as well!!!)

Old 01-31-2005, 02:52 PM

I have had mine for about 20 days so far, and the only major complaint I have had is that it has been above 35 degrees maybe 2 times this month! This ismy first convertible ever and I want to drive it with the top down every day...Guess that's what I get for getting a convertible in January, but the price for the car was too good to give up. I am graduating with my MBA in May and I am coming from an 1989 Chevy Corsica...needless to say its a big step up! Love the car, yeah there are a few negatives, but nothing you can't get used to. I didnt like the cruise control lever at first, now I like it better than any other one I've used so far. The site lines looking back I have gotten used to, and well the cup holder...there arent many good things to say about that. The middle console ergonomics is ok with me, but mine has to be adjusted because it's hard to get it to latch properly...again something I have gotten used to...There are just so many positives though, I still get all giddy everytime I get to see the spolier go up when I get up to speed, I am the only one in town that has one, the car is a blast to drive...In closing all I can say is THE SPRING CAN'T GET HERE ANY SOONER!!!!

Old 01-31-2005, 03:40 PM

Congratulations on a great car. I got mine at the end of September so I haven't had a full season with mine yet. It has been spending most of its time in my garage because of the snow, etc. When it dries out (which won't be for awhile), it will come out. The temperatures you are talking about sound a little like New England. Where are you? Good luck; sprong is just a few weeks away.
As to the controls, they do take a little getting used to, and the cup holder ...

Old 01-31-2005, 04:40 PM
Thumbs up Re: Interior Ergonomics

Originally Posted by bradlock
Regarding my 2004 Crossfire: This is a great car with absolutely fabulous “curb appeal.” It always draws a crowd. It is also fun to drive, with plenty of power and great roadability. It does, however, possess the following ergonomic limitations:

1. The silver paint on the interior console produces significant glare for the driver when the sun hits if from the right side. This could be a major [/color]safety item.[/font][/size]

2. Additionally, the silver center pivots on both the speedometer and tachometer were inititally distracting during daytime driving. I found myself continually looking down at them (they drew my attention) while driving during the day. They become black at night and are unnoticeable. Again, a potential [/color]safetyitem.[/font][/size]

3. The storage compartment in the center console is almost impossible to access. One must reach around behind and feel to open it, then find items by feel inside. A possible [/color]safetyissue if the driver is distracted.

4. Additionally, the cup holder would frequently pop up when either the driver or passenger rested their arm there. A similar problem exists with the window controls.

5. The cruise control lever is difficult to reach, a little confusing, and just plain cheap. It does not belong in the Crossfire. My 300M and PT Cruiser have much more user-friendly and easy-to-use cruise control levers. This lever should be reachable without having to raise your arm and hand. Most drivers control the speed of their cars with these levers when freeway driving. The levers should be within finger reach (on the steering wheel of the 300M) without moving your arms or hands. This can only be done by holding the steering wheel high up with your left hand. This precludes resting you arm on the armrest. Another
safety issue[/font][/size]

6. Whereas the Maintenance Manual calls for oil changes every 4,000 miles, the Owner’s Manual says 7,000 miles! This should be resolved. Additionally, there is no special warning of the fact that this car uses synthetic oil. Many drivers still check and change their own oil, and this should be prominently noted – by the dealer, in the Owner’s Manual, and in the Maintenance Manual. It is just casually mentioned in the Owner’s Manual.[/font][/color][/size]

7. The turn signal lever is totally invisible to the driver. One must feel around to find it. This also includes the windshield wiper button on the end of the turn signal lever. It takes awhile to get used to this.[/font][/color][/size]

8. A car of this price and prestige, should also have multiple delays for the windshield wipers. My 300M has this feature which I frequently use.[/font][/color][/size]

9. Tires are a whole issue in themselves. Most Crossfires are equipped with the sport performance tires. However, all-season tires are recommended for snow and ice. Then, winter mud and snow (M & S) tires are required if chains are used. Most folks here in the Pacific Northwest frequently drive in snow and ice. Chains are frequently required when going over mountain passes. Your primary tire selection should allow for all conditions. Special, performance tires should be an option, not standard, even though this is a sports car. And dealers should have available the all-season tires.[/font][/color][/size]

10. I haven’t yet started to look for chains and may not given all the above limitations. However, are “RUD-matic DISC” chains available in most stores? My guess is that most stores won’t know what I’m talking about.[/font][/color][/size]

11. The garage and gate opening buttons above the courtesy lights must be found by feel. They are not protruding, but rather flush with the upper panel. Difficult to find/use. I solved this problem by punching out small dots from white electrician tape and attaching them to the buttons. This allows them to become quite visible and easy to find. [/font][/color][/size]

Love the car, but feel the ergonomics guys were asleep at the wheel.
Looks like Brad gave up and hasn't since replied. I'm gonna give him some support....

1. Silver trim - Absolutely agree I've had glare from the dash trim several times, even with my sunglasses on. It "could" be interpreted as a saftey issue.

2. Dash needles - nope can't say I've experienced this problem.

3. Center console - Absolutely agree except you shouldn't be accessing the "storage" compartment while driving. Minimal safety hazard, agree akward to access.

4. Cup holder - SUCKS how many threads have we seen on this? Heck there's even been discussion about aftermarket cup holders, clearly not because the OEM one works so well!

5. Crusie Control lever - Agree however just takes a week of driving and you get "used" to where the controls are. That however doesn't make the design better, just that you get used to them.

6. Oil change - if what Brad says is true (I have not checked) then an update to the maintenance manual should be sent out to owners. Agree I believe I have seen a sticker in my engine compartment about using synthetic oil. I'll have to check.

7. Turn signal lever - Agree, but as previously mentioned just takes getting used to.

8. Variable wipers - Agree, the speed sensing crap just stops them while you wait at a red light, nice but I'd much rather adjust the intermittent speed.

9. Tires - Agree and so should everyone that has posted about winter driving problems... come on, you know who you are!

10. Tire chains - I shudder when I think about seeing a Crossfire with tire chains!

11. Garage buttons - Disagree I have not had any problems like Brad and hasn't this feature gone away with the 2005's? I love mine I've got the gate and garage door programmed so no unsightly remote hanging off my visor!

Poor guy, just wanted to voice his opinion and now he's gone forever!

Last edited by CyberGreg; 01-31-2005 at 04:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Interior Ergonomics