Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Brake problem

Old 02-24-2014, 06:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake problem

Well, I stored our 2005 XF Roadster for the winter periodically staring her up. There were no problems of any kind except needing a new battery. We got her out last weekend to go for a drive. Immediately, the brake pedal went almost to the floor, but pumped up w/1 pedal pump. We only went about 10 miles & this happened every time I tried to stop.

Is this the master brake cylinder?

Old 02-24-2014, 06:03 AM
Default Re: Brake problem

Likely, but you need to look at the wheel cylinders, brake lines, fluid, etc. If you can't do it, get to a mechanic before doing any more driving. Good luck.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:44 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What he said. Happened to another car of mine, found out the master cylinder was leaking internally when the brakes failed and I hit a car in front of me.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:47 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Buy a float charger next winter. I use one every winter and still run the original battery in the roadster. Do NOT use a trickle charger.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:01 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by gbono2
Well, I stored our 2005 XF Roadster for the winter periodically staring her up. There were no problems of any kind except needing a new battery. We got her out last weekend to go for a drive. Immediately, the brake pedal went almost to the floor, but pumped up w/1 pedal pump. We only went about 10 miles & this happened every time I tried to stop.

Is this the master brake cylinder?
Simple rule.
If the fluid is going down you have a leak.
If the fluid does not go down it probably is the MC.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:44 PM

Since I started this thread regarding my brake problem. As we all know, the braking system on all cars is a closed system. I had no leaks, so that left only the master brake cylinder.

I took it to the Chrysler dealer in Carrollton, GA to have the master cylinder because I had an extended warranty. They replaced it & called me w/in 2-3 days to advise me our XF was ready to go. I have heard a positive comment about this dealership so I refused to sign off on their repair unless I drove her first. Well, they had not bled the brakes properly after replacing the master cylinder. They kept the car & called me about 2 hours later. I drove it again & the brakes were ok.

It seems the local talk about the Mopar dealer was correct. They were nice folks, but I won't let them work on my XF again. I have now located an independent garage that will make my next repairs. To me, a dealership that will give you back a repaired car w/improperly bled brakes is incompetent. This should not happen to a customer.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:48 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

I too located an independent garage when I bought my Crossfire.
It's conveniently attached to my house.
NO DEALERS EVER !!!!!

Old 04-21-2014, 09:21 AM

Since I started this thread regarding my brake problem. As we all know, the braking system on all cars is a closed system. I had no leaks, so that left only the master brake cylinder.

I took it to the Chrysler dealer in Carrollton, GA to have the master cylinder because I had an extended warranty. They replaced it & called me w/in 2-3 days to advise me our XF was ready to go. I have heard a positive comment about this dealership so I refused to sign off on their repair unless I drove her first. Well, they had not bled the brakes properly after replacing the master cylinder. They kept the car & called me about 2 hours later. I drove it again & the brakes were ok.

It seems the local talk about the Mopar dealer was correct. They were nice folks, but I won't let them work on my XF again. I have now located an independent garage that will make my next repairs. To me, a dealership that will give you back a repaired car w/improperly bled brakes is incompetent. This should not happen to a customer.
How will you get your repairs covered under your extended warranty if the work is done by an independent garage?

Old 04-21-2014, 09:42 AM
Forum Regular

Some of these techs really take pride in their work.

The indy wants us to come back. The stealership wants the tech to be fast and cheep.

You wanted the brakes fixed. The mechanic was getting paid for replacing the MC.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:09 PM

Well AREJOHN, bleeding the brakes after replacing a master cylinder is included as a part or element of the repair. Why? Because the closed system is opened to air & must be bled to operate properly.