Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Just about to get a 2005

Old 02-27-2014, 07:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just about to get a 2005

Hi ... I'm a new member and just about to purchase a 2005 Limited with 78k miles. It's in beautiful condition, Ice Blue with black leather interior, no exterior damage and a very clean interior. It's for sale at a Mazda dealership where we bought a new car for my wife last year. My reason for writing is to ask if there are any issues I should be aware of for this year and model. They're asking $10k, but it's been on the lot for a while and I'm guessing they'd be happy to part with it for less. Am I getting a good deal? Will I have to replace the motor in 6 months. Are there significant cost issues as far as maintenance goes? I can already guess the tires cost a ton, but I won't be driving it a lot so I can afford a new set eventually. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I have to say that we rented a Crossfire in Vegas back in 2007, I think, and had so many issues getting the top up and down that we finally had to take it back and swap it for another car. Part of the blame goes to me for not getting instructions on how to operate it, but it really was balky ... that said, we loved the car while we had it and when I saw this beautiful example on the lot, my Miata was on the market immediately.

Please, any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:32 PM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts
Default Re: Just about to get a 2005

Originally Posted by bikerbill
Hi ... I'm a new member and just about to purchase a 2005 Limited with 78k miles. It's in beautiful condition, Ice Blue with black leather interior, no exterior damage and a very clean interior. It's for sale at a Mazda dealership where we bought a new car for my wife last year. My reason for writing is to ask if there are any issues I should be aware of for this year and model. They're asking $10k, but it's been on the lot for a while and I'm guessing they'd be happy to part with it for less. Am I getting a good deal? Will I have to replace the motor in 6 months. Are there significant cost issues as far as maintenance goes? I can already guess the tires cost a ton, but I won't be driving it a lot so I can afford a new set eventually. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I have to say that we rented a Crossfire in Vegas back in 2007, I think, and had so many issues getting the top up and down that we finally had to take it back and swap it for another car. Part of the blame goes to me for not getting instructions on how to operate it, but it really was balky ... that said, we loved the car while we had it and when I saw this beautiful example on the lot, my Miata was on the market immediately.

Read this .......

Old 02-27-2014, 08:01 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm, well first Welcome. $10,000 seems high for the coupe with that mileage IMHO, though I wish it were not. I would Offger $7,500 if yu drive it for a day and it seems trouble free.

Yes drive it for a day. I always do so. I drove Black Betty for the weekend and discovered the top was broken, I bargained the fix into the price i was going to pay, but back then Crossfires were still gong for $mid high 20's.

If you had problems with the top in your rental it wasn't you. The only caveat is the divider being in place.

Last edited by 05roadsterguy; 02-27-2014 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Adding info
Old 02-27-2014, 08:14 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Take a 2 hour drive, and drive away smiling..

Used Chrysler Crossfire For Sale San Antonio, TX - CarGurus

Old 02-27-2014, 08:18 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
Take a 2 hour drive, and drive away smiling..

Used Chrysler Crossfire For Sale San Antonio, TX - CarGurus

Don't think you really wanted to post your full name, phone # and email address in the Contact Dealer fill out section???

Old 02-27-2014, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by SparkieSRT6
Don't think you really wanted to post your full name, phone # and email address in the Contact Dealer fill out section???
Call me and we'll talk about it.. LOL

Old 02-27-2014, 08:34 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
Call me and we'll talk about it.. LOL

Hey....just a courtesy heads up that you posted it on the dealer link......LOL

Old 02-27-2014, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by SparkieSRT6
Hey....just a courtesy heads up that you posted it on the dealer link......LOL
Appreciate it.. no warrants out at this point though..

Old 02-28-2014, 08:43 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerbill

I paid about the same for my 2004 Crossfire with similar mileage about 2 years ago so you might be able to find it cheaper or at least have a good basis for talking them down.. so far with my car (almost 100k now) I only had to get the RCM taken care of which the dealer did for me.. other than that, pretty smooth sailing aside from the alarm going off randomly from time to time

Old 02-28-2014, 09:02 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by rayth
I paid about the same for my 2004 Crossfire with similar mileage about 2 years ago so you might be able to find it cheaper or at least have a good basis for talking them down.. so far with my car (almost 100k now) I only had to get the RCM taken care of which the dealer did for me.. other than that, pretty smooth sailing aside from the alarm going off randomly from time to time
I don't see mention of the sticky ignition key fix.
Don't make me say "I told you so"

Old 03-14-2014, 11:20 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OH, pull the trigger and join the family. Nothing better than a drive in a Crossfire!

KJ