Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Pulse module NOT sending signal

Old 09-03-2014, 10:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulse module NOT sending signal

Hey guys,

So i decided to trace my wiring with the wiring diagram to see how power is distributed after i turn the switch. I wasn't getting signal from the clutch interlock but i got that figured out. The problem i am having now is that i am not getting any power from the pulse module to the RCM box to fire the starter. Now am getting signal from the ignition switch and the clutch with all the necessary grounds.
Did anyone have the same issue previously? I am charging up the battery now thinking maybe it was not getting the exact 12volts. Does the ignition switch have any fuses i should be worried about?

Let me know what you think.

Old 09-03-2014, 01:13 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Re: Pulse module NOT sending signal

Originally Posted by cojoman
Hey guys,

So i decided to trace my wiring with the wiring diagram to see how power is distributed after i turn the switch. I wasn't getting signal from the clutch interlock but i got that figured out. The problem i am having now is that i am not getting any power from the pulse module to the RCM box to fire the starter. Now am getting signal from the ignition switch and the clutch with all the necessary grounds.
Did anyone have the same issue previously? I am charging up the battery now thinking maybe it was not getting the exact 12volts. Does the ignition switch have any fuses i should be worried about?

Do not keep adding posts on the same problem, as people will get confused with the answers everywhere and just not bother to answer any of them.

Old 09-03-2014, 01:54 PM

onehundred80 thanks for replying to my thread.
This question is different from the other one. Also, i haven't really had any reply to the one i posted previously so i decided to separate the questions.

Can you help me with this problem? Since i decided to dig in more to the wiring diagram so i decided to separate it.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by cojoman
Hey guys,

I cannot see where the RCM comes into the picture here.
The clutch interlock feeds power to the pulse module and that feeds low amperage power to the starter solenoid.
The starter motor gets its power directly from the battery.
I could be wrong but that is what the wiring diagram shows.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I cannot see where the RCM comes into the picture here.
The clutch interlock feeds power to the pulse module and that feeds low amperage power to the starter solenoid.
The starter motor gets its power directly from the battery.
I could be wrong but that is what the wiring diagram shows.
Thanks for the reply.
You are right, the wire goes to the starter solenoid. Do you know any reason why am not getting this power to the solenoid? Everything else is working fine except this. This is the reason why the starter is not engaging.

Thank you sir.

Old 09-03-2014, 06:14 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Looks to me like you have one of these :
1. a loose wire.
2. a bad pulse module.
3. a bad starter solenoid. ( did you say previously that you jumped to the solenoid and it worked ? )
The pulse module is located in the underhood fuse panel on the driver's side.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Capture.JPG (54.0 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg
Capture2.JPG (105.7 KB, 141 views)
Old 09-03-2014, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Looks to me like you have one of these :
1. a loose wire.
2. a bad pulse module.
3. a bad starter solenoid. ( did you say previously that you jumped to the solenoid and it worked ? )
The pulse module is located in the underhood fuse panel on the driver's side.
Yes i jumped the starter and it turns over. I have like 3 pulse modules(from running cars) . So am beginning to think that it might not be the pulse module. Am just wondering if the voltage from the battery has anything to do with it.

Thanks

Old 09-03-2014, 07:10 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

But if the RCM's "Engine control relay" does not send power to the PTCM, then there is no enable from the PTCM to the Pulse module.

Or am I wrong here, 'cause I thought we went down this path before and it was found that no engaging of the starter was traced to a broken solder pad on the RCM's engine control relay circuit.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
But if the RCM's "Engine control relay" does not send power to the PTCM, then there is no enable from the PTCM to the Pulse module.

Or am I wrong here, 'cause I thought we went down this path before and it was found that no engaging of the starter was traced to a broken solder pad on the RCM's engine control relay circuit.
The circuit for the starter can be and is separate from all others. The engine may turn over by way of the starter but other faulty circuits may not let it start.
We cannot have one system stopping all others from working or the system gets very complicated and nothing would be solvable.

I cannot remember a pulse module on my manual tranny.

I know little about the sparky stuff, so I'll leave it to the experts.

Last edited by onehundred80; 09-03-2014 at 08:08 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:24 PM
Administrator

Dave,

I'll bet ya $20 that if you pull "Engine control fuse 1" and "Engine control fuse 2" on the RCM, the car won't crank!

I'm really certain on this - I remember we went down this road before. If I was not sure, I would let it go.... I may go pull the fuses on my car tomorrow and prove it to myself.

I'll let you know.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Dave,

I'll bet ya $20 that if you pull "Engine control fuse 1" and "Engine control fuse 2" on the RCM, the car won't crank!

I'm really certain on this - I remember we went down this road before. If I was not sure, I would let it go.... I may go pull the fuses on my car tomorrow and prove it to myself.

I'll let you know.
Is that $20 US or Canadian?
I'm of to the garage I'll be back for your answer and let you know if the bet is on.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:36 PM
Administrator

I am gonna test my car tomorrow after 10am eastern.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:36 PM

This is what am looking at in the ervice manual (although it said SRT). It seems like the Pulse module has only one input and one output to the solenoids. I got lost after it enters the PCM. Since it is already engaging the interlock switch, won't it be enough to allow the pulse module to send out the required signal?
Please see attachment.

Thanks

Attached Images
File Type: png
Capture.PNG (44.3 KB, 136 views)
Old 09-04-2014, 08:26 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

The 8W-10-10 circuit comes from the 200 amp fuse directly to the ignition switch.
With the clutch interlock activated, power is applied directly to the pulse module on pin 1B.
The pulse module should then supply 12v from pin 1F to the starter solenoid for a preset number of seconds.
The 12v to the PTCM is to notify it that an engine start is in progress, do it's thing and figure out engine timing from the Crankshaft Position Sensor and the Camshaft Position Sensor, then supply spark and fuel at the appropriate times.

If you are not seeing 12v at pin 1B on the pulse module when the ignition key is turned to start, then you have a bad ignition switch, or a broken wire. If you are seeing 12v at 1B, but not at 1F, then you have a bad pulse module.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
The 8W-10-10 circuit comes from the 200 amp fuse directly to the ignition switch.
With the clutch interlock activated, power is applied directly to the pulse module on pin 1B.
The pulse module should then supply 12v from pin 1F to the starter solenoid for a preset number of seconds.
The 12v to the PTCM is to notify it that an engine start is in progress, do it's thing and figure out engine timing from the Crankshaft Position Sensor and the Camshaft Position Sensor, then supply spark and fuel at the appropriate times.

If you are not seeing 12v at pin 1B on the pulse module when the ignition key is turned to start, then you have a bad ignition switch, or a broken wire. If you are seeing 12v at 1B, but not at 1F, then you have a bad pulse module.
Thank you so much for the break down. I do have three pulse modules (all came out from a working car) I am getting the 12v from the switch but i am not able to send it out on 1F. Maybe the battery is too low. I am going to charge up and try again tonight. I will definitely keep you guys updated. I will be back with my findings.
Thank you guys. You guys are amazing!

Old 09-04-2015, 07:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This may be a dead thread, but it's the best spot, I think. I have probably posted too much on another thread, but thought this might get missed otherwise, and might be useful to someone searching "pulse module" as I was.

With basically the same symptoms, I tried a used known good pulse module and got no fire out to the starter solenoid. I traced wires and had no fire from the clutch interlock to the PCM. I temporarily spliced into the wire from the clutch interlock at the pulse module, and got fire to the PCM, and to the starter. Apparently the PCM must "give permission" before the pulse module will do its thing.

Mine was an odd failure; possible rodent damage but no evidence found. I cut the wire from clutch interlock to PCM out and spliced in a new wire, and that problem is resolved.

If you are having problems related to starting, study the FSM and ask questions. Folks here can and will help.

Michael

Old 08-25-2018, 05:28 PM

Like to know if somebody knows if a voltimeter reading of 10.37V from the pulse module exit 1B can cause a start hesitation. The voltage supposed to be 12. Actually the voltage reading from the exit 1F is 10.2V instead 12 volts. If someone know please enlighten me about thanks.

Old 02-02-2019, 08:45 AM

ala_xfire - just found this reply, I have same problem, 12v at 1B, but no output at 1F. Before I go and buy a Pulse Module, are you sure there are no other inhibits in play ? E.G auto transmission switches ?
Mick

Old 02-03-2019, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Of course there is something else. You need the enable signal from the ECM that enables the pulse module to engage the starter.
THEN, when the ECM sees the engine has reached 400 rpm (that is, it has started and it running on it's own), the ECM sends a disable to the pulse module, to disengage the starter.

I defy you to find this enable/disable line from the ECM to the Pulse Module. The pin descriptions in the service manual do not mention it, I believe that one of the pins is mis-labeled in the manual.

Here is the block diagram from the student reference, the connection in the red circle represents the enable/disable from the ECM (shown as PCM here). Note that the SLA (shift lever assembly) and other modules are connected to the ECM, it then tells the Pulse module "go" or "no go" for starter engagement.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 02-03-2019 at 10:07 AM.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:19 AM

Pizzaguy,
Have you seen my replies to your questions in the thread 'RCM' as you requested ?
Also, the only connection between the PM and ECM(PCM)is the Pink/Red wire from terminal 2A. It is marked 'sensor ground' which seems to be the mis-labelled connection ?
Mick

Quick Reply: Pulse module NOT sending signal