Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Something odd

Old 10-27-2014, 12:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something odd

I have a black 2005 roadsters that I've had since February of 2013. I was so happy to find a 2005 with only 24,000 miles and with one owner. All of this sounded great and was for several months after which things started going wrong: a leak in the window area of the passenger side of the top; an expensive ignition replacement; then the top started not working and I found that was yet another expensive proposition that I haven't yet been able to afford to fix. I just got new tires and learned they were the third set of tires because the previous ones had been on it for many years. Because it only had 24k miles I thought they must have been the original tires. So now I'm wondering if somehow the mileage has been "adjusted" downward. It seems a car with now 35k miles has a lot of problems. Is this unusual or is it systemic with this car. Oh...forgot ...the cup holder, as I've read here, has been broken since I got it. When I left the dealership with my car I (stupidly?) thought that was the only problem!

Old 10-27-2014, 12:49 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Something odd

You said you didn't start having these problems for several months after owning the car. You've owned the car going on 19 months now. So I don't believe those problems were there prior. However, the issues that you have mentioned has been discussed many times along with an easy fix on this forum. As you have been a member since August 2013 and this is your first post, you might want to research those issues. This may help: https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post585345. You can also use the Google Custom Search function at the top of the Forum, something I used often.

Last edited by Bill F; 10-27-2014 at 01:21 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:07 PM

Thank you for the information. I have had problems since the first time I checked this great site regarding the ignition switch last year. I also read numerous threads and articles so kindly posted. I only started to wonder about actual mileage when I found out this would be the third.set of tires. Isn't that unusual in a car with less than 35 k miles? I love the car but wish it didn't have so many quirks. I'm not knowledgeable about cars at all...truly I mean that. I would never be able to fix anything myself. But thanks for the info anyway.

Old 10-27-2014, 03:31 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

maryd, where are you located ?
Perhaps someone local to you might be able to help.

Old 10-27-2014, 03:43 PM

I'm in east central Florida. The only problem I have now is the top. I know what's wrong from when I had the ignition fixed and I will get it fixed when I can. I have a friend who can help. My main reason for writing is my wondering if these things are commonly associated with this car.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:06 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by maryd
I'm in east central Florida. The only problem I have now is the top. I know what's wrong from when I had the ignition fixed and I will get it fixed when I can. I have a friend who can help. My main reason for writing is my wondering if these things are commonly associated with this car.
I was wondering how do you know the new tires you are putting on is the 3rd set? I'm owned my Crossfire since new in 2005 and I replaced the tires at 16,000 miles because I didn't like the tires on it and wanted a larger size. I now have 21,000 miles on the car. The issues you have, seem to be fairly common, that why I posted where to find solutions. This info of issues and how to fix them came from members on this Forum who have had some of the same issues as you, such as the ignition, leaky top, roadster top problems. Some have had those problems with low miles also. Has the back window of your roadster fallen out yet? I hope you can find a good mechanic to help you.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:44 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a roadster with 35000 mile on it, no top problems, no ignition fix, and I drag race, drive hard, and am on my 2nd set of tires. So, no, these aren't common problems but are problems of a car that wasn't taken care of. Alignment comes to mind on your tire problems. Running proper air pressure would be next. The ignition does seem to be a problem for most. I have my theory on that, but I will keep my mouth shut, and the top, well, we need to know exactly what it isn't doing....we will help if we can.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:02 AM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Hello MaryD,

The original tires could normally be expected to last only 12,000 to 15,000 miles. They were a softer rubber compound intended to provide better grip on the road for improved handling (the OEM tire tread wear rating was about 120) . . . certainly not intended to provide long wear and high mileage. Accordingly, putting on the third set of tires would be normal. If you're not pushing the handling limits of the car, I hope you put on a set of tires with a higher tread wear rating . . . something about 360 (look on the tire itself to read it's tread wear rating).

Not sure why you had to replace the entire ignition? Sounds like a "I took it to a Chrysler dealer" thing? It's over and done with now but I'm curious to know exactly what the problem was that required replacing the entire ignition? If it was a "sticky ignition key thing", the new ignition that was installed will eventually develop the same issue. There is detailed information here on the forum providing a step by step on how to fix that problem permanently and for FREE.

Regarding the convertible top, the only common problem is that the rear window adhesive will eventually fail on ALL of the original convertible tops. A leak in the passenger side window area would be uncommon . . . sounds like the door glass just needed some adjustment. That would not be a common problem although it does happen. What exactly is the problem you are having with the top not working? Maybe we can help you get it working with minimal out of pocket expense . . .

This is the right place to get some expert advice and assistance . . . Let's get you back to ENJOYING your Crossfire again!

Last edited by RED DOG; 10-28-2014 at 09:18 AM.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:13 AM

I bought my 2005 Roadster Jan 1 2011 and it had 42,000 miles on the OEM Continentals.
I replaced them at 45,000 with Hankooks and they are currently at around 1/2 gone at 61,000 miles.
( I have a new set of Hankooks bought on sale stacked in the garage )
+++ as to the questions above on "the top not working" - need more input.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
I bought my 2005 Roadster Jan 1 2011 and it had 42,000 miles on the OEM Continentals.
I replaced them at 45,000 with Hankooks and they are currently at around 1/2 gone at 61,000 miles.
( I have a new set of Hankooks bought on sale stacked in the garage )
+++ as to the questions above on "the top not working" - need more input.
How do you know / what makes you think those were the original Continental tires with 42,000 miles on them?

Old 10-28-2014, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by RED DOG
How do you know / what makes you think those were the original tires with 42,000 miles on them?
Good point, but I can't believe someone would put another set of Conti's back on ....

EDIT: Thinking back, it's possible. The original owner was a lady lawyer in Chattanooga, I spoke with her and she was not a car nut, probably just took it in and told 'em - "just put another set just like those on."

Last edited by ala_xfire; 10-28-2014 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:05 AM

Good point, but I can't believe someone would put another set of Conti's back on ....
And THAT'S a good point too!

Old 10-28-2014, 10:30 AM

EDIT: Thinking back, it's possible. The original owner was a lady lawyer in Chattanooga, I spoke with her and she was not a car nut, probably just took it in and told 'em - "just put another set just like those on."
IMHO the only way to get 40000+ miles on a set of those OEM Continental tires would be to trailer the car around and keep track of how far you've taken the car . . .

Last edited by RED DOG; 10-28-2014 at 03:45 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:54 AM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Easy way to tell is by the date code, if 04 or 05 they were probably originals. Mine has Contis with '12 and '13 codes so must have been replaced by the PO.

ps wouldn't a Florida '05 raodster be covered by the recall ?

Last edited by Padgett; 10-28-2014 at 10:58 AM.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:36 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I bought my roadster new and had to replace the oem Conti's a year ago at 42.5k miles. Went with Hankooks and now at 53k. Although just a summer driver, I have had few problems. Even the oem battery lasted until this summer and was still good, but I replaced it because the one in my SRT6 was leaking.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Goldwing
I bought my roadster new and had to replace the oem Conti's a year ago at 42.5k miles.
Well maybe I am wrong about the expected mileage from the OEM Continental tires

Old 10-28-2014, 06:53 PM
Administrator
Received 883 Likes on 688 Posts

I got around 32,000 out of the original Contis on the Red car. But I drove it like your grandmother would.
With my Hankooks, I've got as much as 31,000 and as little as 11,000 - cause I don't drive THIS one like your grandmother would.

maryd,
If you are going to a Chrysler dealer for service, the car is going to cost you a LOT of money, they will not use ANY of the fixes found here and they will source parts from Chrysler who gets them from Mercedes and OEM sources. The "ignition" fix sounds like the famous stick key fix which can be done in an hour with no parts what so ever, but again, the dealer is going to just change the whole assembly.

Stick around here - these cars can be inexpensive to own if you know the right people - and they are here, on this forum!

Old 10-29-2014, 07:01 PM
Forum Regular

A lot of people replace beautiful tires just because of the age. A friend of mine, recently replaced his trailer's tires because they were four years old, they looked new to me. He had only driven about 700 miles on them. Foolish to me, safe to him.

Dave

Old 10-29-2014, 09:35 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

plenty of "out" dated tires around, as I have bought new out dated tires for both cars. AS for mileage, I got 20K out of the originals, and the fronts would have went more.... WE all know a lot of things can happen to make tires wear a lot faster with out the usual burn outs.....

I don't recommend buying out dated tires unless you know how they were stored. I have a Goodyear distributor that keeps his in cold storage out of the sun.... That is the only way to keep tires....

Old 10-30-2014, 10:37 AM
Received 342 Likes on 302 Posts

Back to the top issue, the most common cause of the top not working is the divider, in the trunk, not being properly seated. A very simple fix.

Quick Reply: Something odd