Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

High beams problem

Old 11-01-2014, 11:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question High beams problem

HI, first time posting.

I have a 2005 Crossfire Roadster which I just bought and have found a couple of problems. I will list one here and do another thread for the other.

First, both of my high beams will not turn on and there is no indicator light indicating a problem lit on the dash nor the blue? ( I haven't seen it yet to know) one that indicates the light are on even when they are burnt out. I checked one of the light bulbs and it does work so that doesn't seem to be the problem. I am hopping it is not the multifunctional switch, all the other function work i.e. blinkers, windshield wipers and spray.

Has any one else had this problem and have any suggestions?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Old 11-01-2014, 12:00 PM
Received 202 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Re: High beams problem

# 1 if the sw is bad you may be able to make it work by VERY FAST turn it on and off.
are the parking lights coming on, and try the left side parking and the right side parking ,,yes there are three settings for the parking lights. also you should have a bell inside the car when the lights are turned on (any lights).
if none of that works check the plug on the back of the switch.

did you or someone else install HID lights what u r saying sounds like HID failure, next to on the sid or just near the headlight look for a box about 3X3 that has wires going to the headlight ,if you have that someone has installed HID lights, Please get that crap off your car. jim

Old 11-01-2014, 12:32 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by #1 Crossfire Girl
HI, first time posting.

I have a 2005 Crossfire Roadster which I just bought and have found a couple of problems. I will list one here and do another thread for the other.

First, both of my high beams will not turn on and there is no indicator light indicating a problem lit on the dash nor the blue? ( I haven't seen it yet to know) one that indicates the light are on even when they are burnt out. I checked one of the light bulbs and it does work so that doesn't seem to be the problem. I am hopping it is not the multifunctional switch, all the other function work i.e. blinkers, windshield wipers and spray.

Has any one else had this problem and have any suggestions?

Thanks for any help you can offer.
During my test drive of mine I discovered everything except high beams worked. I don't recall if the hi-beam indicator came on but no brights. The dealer replaced the switch on the steering column.

The illumination control module has a 7.5 amp fuse for each high beam. The white/yellow wire supplies power to the multifunction switch and the white wire back at the illumination control module is the feed TO the high beams after the switch.

Do the high beams work with the push to pass function?

Last edited by KDW4Him; 11-01-2014 at 12:44 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:18 AM

I have already replaced all headlight fuses even though they still looked good. I checked one high beam light and it worked when tested, but I didn't check the second since that seemed to rule out the light bulbs. I have high intensity bulbs but the ones called for by manufacturer.

If I try turning on the high beams quickly several times nothing happens. As to a bell I know one chimes if they are left on when car is turned off but don't remember one when turned on, I will check.

With car turned off and side running lights turned on, only the rear lights come on, nothing in the front, this is on both sides.
When I have the low beam headlights on all rear lights work but only headlights come on in front no other running lights. Blinkers work when used and flash when locking or unlocking the car.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:58 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Everything I see in the schematics point to the headlight switch assembly ( Illumination Control Module ).
As a first step, I'd follow the instructions in the sticky key fix pdf file to access the module, then unplug and re-plug all the connectors.
If that fails, I'm afraid you have to start looking for a new headlight switch assembly.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:41 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by #1 Crossfire Girl
I have already replaced all headlight fuses even though they still looked good. I checked one high beam light and it worked when tested, but I didn't check the second since that seemed to rule out the light bulbs. I have high intensity bulbs but the ones called for by manufacturer.

If I try turning on the high beams quickly several times nothing happens. As to a bell I know one chimes if they are left on when car is turned off but don't remember one when turned on, I will check.

With car turned off and side running lights turned on, only the rear lights come on, nothing in the front, this is on both sides.
When I have the low beam headlights on all rear lights work but only headlights come on in front no other running lights. Blinkers work when used and flash when locking or unlocking the car.
What ALA says plus one test. Do the right standing or left standing switch set to on get the lights to come on?

By schematic it's a different source and different switch within the ICM but the same fuses and external wires to supply power to the bulbs.

I guess this test will prove vehicle wiring and the switch is bad.

Old 08-18-2022, 08:24 AM
Cool Re: High beams problem

Hi there Everyone,

As the now proud owner of an 05 Roadster and an 04 Coupe, I'm new to this forum and the world of Crossfires.

Despite some of the problems/issues they seem to have, I love them.
Dont't know if this helps but, the other day, I came across this thing with the High beams not working and I was dreading having to find either a used (getting rare as hen's teeth) or brand new (lets re-mortgage the house) Headlight Switch Assembly / Illumination Control Module.

In frustration and just when I was thinking of taking my unit out and apart to see if I could identify, fix or change the actual internal component thats not working, I decided to give the unit some swift light taps whilst it was still in place. Guess what, that fixed it!!!!

My conclusion is that if your Crossfires are "occasional use only" cars like mine are, then consider the possibility of electrical contacts gumming up or corroding due to little use.

These lovely cars were designed to used, so let's use them!!!

Old 08-18-2022, 08:35 AM
Forum Regular
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Cal17
Hi there Everyone,

As the now proud owner of an 05 Roadster and an 04 Coupe, I'm new to this forum and the world of Crossfires.

Dont't know if this helps but, the other day, I came across this thing with the High beams not working and I was dreading having to find either a used (getting rare as hen's teeth) or brand new (lets re-mortgage the house) Headlight Switch Assembly / Illumination Control Module.

In frustration and just when I was thinking of taking my unit out and apart to see if I could identify, fix or change the actual internal component thats not working, I decided to give the unit some swift light taps whilst it was still in place. Guess what, that fixed it!!!!

My conclusion is that if your Crossfires are "occasional use only" cars like mine are, then consider the possibility of electrical contacts gumming up or corroding due to little use.

As I’m sure you’re new to the forum, just a heads as you might want to check the dates of some of these threads and posts. The last communication on this one was 8 years ago. Welcome to the XF community

Old 08-18-2022, 10:28 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Cal17
Hi there Everyone,

Too many people say that these cars have multiple problems, they do not take into account that they may have purchased a 13 to 17 year old vehicle that may have had multiple owners, some who may have just driven it and cared naught for maintenance. All the problems they have being caused by lack of maintenance and general abuse. I have never had a car this length of time except the one I have now because after ten years or so I was never sure that they would be reliable even though I had looked after them.
Rust was the main culprit and caused me to get rid of them. I only ever had new cars or demos except for a car I used as a second car and a extremely low mileage LHS.
Many of these cars have reached the bottom of the barrel, high miles and a history of abuse and neglect. If you have one of these good luck but do not blame the car.

Last edited by onehundred80; 08-18-2022 at 10:30 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by onehundred80:
exparamedic (08-18-2022), stlouistrucker (08-20-2022), Sussudio (08-18-2022)
Old 01-24-2023, 01:08 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I have owned my roadster since April 2005 (new) and my SRT6 since February 2008 (8500 miles), now at 65k and 42k. No problems other than a coolant fan recall and the s/c air injector fail. Both used 1000+ miles per summer and winter-stored to keep them away from salt and sliding cars. I consider them very reliable.