Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

extended warranty - yes/no

Old 11-05-2014, 10:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default extended warranty - yes/no

I bought my 2005 Crossfire last month and the dealership has been hounding me to purchase an extended warranty. I wasn't going to do it but yesterday my check engine light came on - took to my local dealership and they didn't have the diagnostic tool to check it, had to take it to Tallahassee to have it checked....waiting for the call now My question is, those of you who have purchased used, do you wish you had purchased the extended warranty or has your car been pretty decent to you. I am hoping to have this baby for a long time and want to do what is right for it and my pocket. Thanks for the words of wisdom.

Last edited by wood_y; 11-05-2014 at 11:04 AM. Reason: incorrect year
Old 11-05-2014, 10:56 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: extended warranty - yes/no

wasn't the 2008 model supposed to have a lifetime powertrain warranty ?
Or does that only apply to the original owner ?

Old 11-05-2014, 11:00 AM

i have no clue, nothing was mentioned regarding that, i imagine it must have been for the original owner or something would have been said (or you would have thought they would)
**the car is 2005 - sorry.

Last edited by wood_y; 11-05-2014 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:01 AM
Received 343 Likes on 303 Posts

If you don't have the Lifetime Warrantee, I would also be cautious of buying an Extended one from a dealer that is not equipped to work on your car, what's the point?

Old 11-05-2014, 11:08 AM

ZERACER - very true, but the warranty would cover any Chrysler dealership (not just my hick town )

Old 11-05-2014, 11:10 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I really don't think I would buy anything from a dealer that don't even have tools to do anything with. The dealers make killer money from extended warranty's. I've had two CF's and haven't had to deal with a dealer once. But then I usually do it myself.
Ken

Old 11-05-2014, 02:34 PM
PNA
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wood_y
I bought my 2005 Crossfire last month and the dealership has been hounding me to purchase an extended warranty. I wasn't going to do it but yesterday my check engine light came on - took to my local dealership and they didn't have the diagnostic tool to check it, had to take it to Tallahassee to have it checked....waiting for the call now My question is, those of you who have purchased used, do you wish you had purchased the extended warranty or has your car been pretty decent to you. I am hoping to have this baby for a long time and want to do what is right for it and my pocket. Thanks for the words of wisdom.
Here's my 2 cents. Take the money you would put out for the warranty and put it in the bank. Call it your warranty repair fund. Use it only if needed. If not, all the better, you have some cash in the bank for when you do.

WRT the 2008 warranty, yes, many Chrysler 2008's (yours is an 2005 though, correct?)came with a lifetime power warranty. It really covers engine and tranny failure issues, not other things. I have an 08 van and it has it. It must be serviced regularly (pretty much according to their schedule and then recertified every 5 or so year. Mine was recertified earlier this year. I didn't pay any extra for it, it was just part of the coverage included that year.

You can go to an autoparts store and they can usually plug you in for free to check the codes. I always do that first. I also check on here first for anything that might be pertinent to issues. Search, learn and fix or at least diagnose based on the forum intelligence before you do anything or take it anywhere.

Good luck.

Old 11-05-2014, 05:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my 2006 over two years ago, and bought the extended warranty. It ran out in June, I have not spent a penny on repairs,(except a battery, which was not covered). They sent me a ton of mail wanting me to re-new. "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me,"

Old 11-07-2014, 01:26 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

PNA is on the money. I bought the 7 year warranty for my roadster after watching all the cables whirr to put the top up/down. First auto warranty I ever purchased and I never used it. The TPMS sensor lit but was not worth the $100 deductible to fix (put a piece of black tape over the icon) and after warranty the transmission linkage somehow slipped, and that was a $150 repair. The car has been very reliable, but it has also not been abused. My vote would be to take the funds, usually $800-1500, and put it in a savings account.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:42 AM

Thanks guys, appreciate the thoughts and agree.

Now - the check engine light is back on (just checked all fluids and replaced oil - ran like a dream yesterday). Now the car is acting like it's not getting gas, shimmy's when idling at stop lights. I hope to make it home this afternoon anyone got any ideas.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:58 AM

The Mopar warranty i purchased for 3 years with $100 deductible was about $4k. diagnostics on the car out of warranty cost $120 so any repair would easily be over $200 at the lowest.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:33 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would check the MAF. Mass Air Flow sensor.
Ken

Old 11-19-2014, 09:44 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Now - the check engine light is back on (just checked all fluids and replaced oil - ran like a dream yesterday). Now the car is acting like it's not getting gas, shimmy's when idling at stop lights. I hope to make it home this afternoon anyone got any ideas.
Also check that you didn't knock the vacuum line off that runs over to the valve on the DS fenderwell.

Old 11-19-2014, 02:35 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Is the gas cap seated properly? http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/151

Last edited by Bill F; 11-19-2014 at 02:39 PM.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:13 AM

Almost 2 years ago, we bought our 2005 XF Roadster. I had done a lot of research on the vehicles learning two things.

First, the cars have a bad reputation with the general public. A lot of their bad press seemed to stem from the complexity of repairs when problems cropped up. More of the bad press on this topic seemed to stem from eliminating problems.

The second problem mentioned the cost of repairs. It seems parts are expensive for these vehicles. Diagnostic & labor was also mentioned to be costly for the XF.

Knowing all these negative facts, we decided to purchase our '05 XF. Because of the these negative we decided to purchase an extended warranty for this car for "peace of mind". I don't usually buy extended warranties because they are documented to be a waste of money. On the XF, we have used the extended warranty once to get a master brake cylinder replaced earlier this year. We had the work done at our local Mopar dealer. They weren't happy to see a XF in their service department. The service writer even apologized to me because I owned a XF. How thoughtless ---- this told me what they thought of the XF. The repairs didn't occur w/out problems. It seems they didn't know how to bleed the brake lines & tried to give me a car w/air in the lines. In fact, they tried this twice & failed. This dealer won't get anymore of business again.

I think Mopar dealers like the one I had to deal with caused the bad reputation of the XF. I think they weren't interested in learning how to repair a Mercedes.

The car has been a blast for us. She has not been trouble-free though. My second problem was caused by a different Mopar dealer. I used them to do an oil change prior to us moving. After we got moved, I noticed the XF had a stumble or hesitation from a stop. Finally after several months, I located the problem. I was under the hood w/the engine running when I heard a hissing noise coming from the rear of the engine at the back of the engine cover. It seems the dealer didn't seat the engine cover completely/correctly to mate it w/the MAF. I got the cover positioned correctly & the problem disappeared. Another problem caused by a Mopar dealer in a different location.

I guess it boils down to ---- if you want it done correctly, then do it yourself. But, for me I'm getting to the age (70) where working on a car isn't going to be an option for me much longer. Because of age & arthritis, I am starting to have to pay someone else do my repairs. Fortunately, I have located a repair shop in my area that knows our cars. The shop works on MB & BMW cars.

We don't regret getting Spitfire as my wife calls our XF. We really enjoy the car finding it to be a quality vehicle full of innovative features that were ahead the time. We are constantly learning something new the car can do.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:47 PM
Administrator
Received 884 Likes on 689 Posts

When the light comes on, the FIRST thing to do is to read the code that set the light. There are a myriad of devices from $20 to $150 you can buy to do this with. Or, go to Autozone or AdvanceAuto and I think you will find they will read the codes for free.

Then, come back here, give us the code and we can go from there.

I have one of these plugged in at all times.
UltraGauge OBDII Scan tool & Information Center

I usually know what set the light before I get to the next traffic light! And I've got 110,000 miles on mine, I've seen the light more times than I can count.
Biut I've spent very LITTLE to get it to go out.

Old 11-27-2014, 12:43 AM
Forum Regular
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

This is my opinion, I have no warranty with my SRT6 and have come to the conclusion that the bulk of issues on these cars are easy and inexpensive fixes if you are tool handy. Just about every issue our cars can get have been covered here on the Forum and the vast majority of members here would be more than happy to offer their knowledge and experiences on how to fix.