Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Having problems installing my new Mesh Wind Blocker from Chromdesign

Old 03-11-2015, 06:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having problems installing my new Mesh Wind Blocker from Chromdesign

This should be simple, but as you can see in the photos it will not fit. The screen I received has a identical bend on each end. Not sure why it would but since it is on both ends I assume it is by design. I am thinking maybe I was sent the wrong screen. I have tried reversing the screen and still no luck. Do they all have this bend? What am I missing here?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SAM_0333a.jpg (407.3 KB, 54 views)
SAM_0336a.jpg (420.7 KB, 52 views)
SAM_0337.jpg (259.3 KB, 57 views)
SAM_0337a.jpg (334.1 KB, 54 views)
SAM_0338a.jpg (355.1 KB, 53 views)
Old 03-11-2015, 07:53 PM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Re: Having problems installing my new Mesh Wind Blocker from Chromdesign

The top piece installs per your photo #3 & #4. The bottom mounting bracket is adjustable up and down. You have it mounted too low. Loosen the lower mounting bracket and slide it upward so you can attach it to the upper windscreen. THEN re-secure the lower bracket.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:52 PM
Default Re: Having problems installing my new Mesh Wind Blocker from Chromdesign

I am unable to get the bracket to mount flush against the back the wall. The wind blocker hits the roll bars.
Do they al have a bend in them? The photos I have seen look like they are flat and the bracket is flush up against the back wall.

Attached Images
SAM_0340a.jpg (684.1 KB, 42 views)
SAM_0342a.jpg (989.0 KB, 38 views)
SAM_0344a.jpg (1.58 MB, 35 views)
Old 03-11-2015, 09:38 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

jv - From your pics, it looks like the curve in the windscreen is the problem. Look at the pics in the Chromdesign thread from a few months ago, and you'll see that the screen is completely flat in pics posted by forum members that bought them.
Send a pic to Max and get a replacement as yours may have been damaged in shipping.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by harbor
jv - From your pics, it looks like the curve in the windscreen is the problem. Look at the pics in the Chromdesign thread from a few months ago, and you'll see that the screen is completely flat in pics posted by forum members that bought them.
Send a pic to Max and get a replacement as yours may have been damaged in shipping.

I think your right......its strange how the shape (bends) are symmetrical to both sides. Again, it looks like by design. Not going to work though. I sent an email to Max.

Old 03-12-2015, 03:08 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1) Mine is flat.
2) I installed it with the bracket still connected to the screen. Slip it onto the umbrella hook screws and crank it down. (It looked like yours - bracket bowed out until tightened) The bolt/nuts will ride on top of the bulkhead.
3) It is just aluminum tube, I think it should snug up even with the bends. If it were mine, I would try it before dealing with international shipment hassles.

Attached Images
IMG_6439c.jpg (246.9 KB, 32 views)
IMG_6440c.jpg (331.2 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by GregWork; 03-12-2015 at 03:15 AM.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:28 AM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I don't have one from Chromdesign . . . The two I have are both the originals from Adamesh. Mine have a similar curve built into the windscreen design. It allows the upper seat backs more room to nestle back into there.

Last edited by RED DOG; 03-12-2015 at 05:43 AM.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by GregWork
1) Mine is flat.
2) I installed it with the bracket still connected to the screen. Slip it onto the umbrella hook screws and crank it down. (It looked like yours - bracket bowed out until tightened) The bolt/nuts will ride on top of the bulkhead.
3) It is just aluminum tube, I think it should snug up even with the bends. If it were mine, I would try it before dealing with international shipment hassles.

Well after putting a little persuasion to the bracket with a mallet, I was able to straighten it out a bit and made it fit. Although it did not have the appearance of being damaged before making the adjustment, the adjustment was needed to get it to work.

The blocker I received is flat (straight) on the top but has a slight bent on each end similar to Red Dogs on the bottom. Again the bends do not look like damage, the frame is very solid, it's not lite at all like aluminum tube. Feels like solid iron bar. It would take a lot to bent it. Very well made.

It looks good, I am happy. and no international return shipping hassle to deal with. I wonder if they had a design/material change.

By the way, My name is Jim, my wife is Vicki. I have been following the forum for a while learning and taking notes (LOVE this forum). We just purchased our Crossfire mid January. Flew to Florida and drove it back. Can't wait to bring it out of storage and drive.

Attached Images
SAM_0345a.jpg (306.6 KB, 33 views)
SAM_0346a.jpg (565.2 KB, 34 views)
SAM_0348a.jpg (573.1 KB, 36 views)
SAM_0349a.jpg (480.7 KB, 34 views)
Old 03-12-2015, 09:07 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by jv1625
Well after putting a little persuasion to the bracket with a mallet, I was able to straighten it out a bit and made it fit. Although it did not have the appearance of being damaged before making the adjustment, the adjustment was needed to get it to work.

The blocker I received is flat (straight) on the top but has a slight bent on each end similar to Red Dogs on the bottom. Again the bends do not look like damage, the frame is very solid, it's not lite at all like aluminum tube. Feels like solid iron bar. It would take a lot to bent it. Very well made.

It looks good, I am happy. and no international return shipping hassle to deal with. I wonder if they had a design/material change.

By the way, My name is Jim, my wife is Vicki. I have been following the forum for a while learning and taking notes (LOVE this forum). We just purchased our Crossfire mid January. Flew to Florida and drove it back. Can't wait to bring it out of storage and drive.
If a hammer does not solve a problem you know that the solution is a bigger hammer. LOL
Welcome.

Old 03-12-2015, 09:15 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
If a hammer does not solve a problem you know that the solution is a bigger hammer. LOL
Welcome.
Or the handle is too short on the one you have.