Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Trouble with powerful car washes?

Old 06-17-2015, 09:23 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble with powerful car washes?

Has anyone ever had a rear window problem develop due to the intense rinse cycle on some of the new, more powerful automatic car washes? I usually hand wash, but sometimes I have more money than time..

Old 06-17-2015, 11:31 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Trouble with powerful car washes?

While I have an incredibly strong aversion to any sort of automatic car wash for any of my cars (honestly, I've not been to an automatic car with anything other than a company owned vehicle in over 30 years!) my primary concern for taking a Crossfire Roadster through one would be all that soap getting on, and into, the fabric of the top. Even washing my own Roadster at home I never get the wash solution on the top as you can never get all the soap out. Try this: next time you do wash the car at home, when rinsing it to start the process give the top a good blast with the hose and you'll probably see soapy foam come up. Not a good thing for the long haul.

Old 06-18-2015, 02:16 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike-in-Orange
While I have an incredibly strong aversion to any sort of automatic car wash for any of my cars (honestly, I've not been to an automatic car with anything other than a company owned vehicle in over 30 years!) my primary concern for taking a Crossfire Roadster through one would be all that soap getting on, and into, the fabric of the top. Even washing my own Roadster at home I never get the wash solution on the top as you can never get all the soap out. Try this: next time you do wash the car at home, when rinsing it to start the process give the top a good blast with the hose and you'll probably see soapy foam come up. Not a good thing for the long haul.
Mike,

you know I respect your opinions and analyses more than anyone in the industry-that being said, when I wash the 'buggy, it usually needs a bit of a spritz for the top. While I, too, would be concerned with saturation of the fabric with even a mild detergent (I use Meguiar's Gold, exclusively), I've found that if the fabric is properly treated with 303, RaggTopp etc, there is virtually no penetration. Evidenced by doing exactly as you suggested: using an intense spray-looking for evidence of suds.

And if this is an original, OEM top-I'd certainly be concerned about knocking the glass out of the fabric! Especially in an automatic wash with-GASP-brushes! About once per year-when the 6 AM temps get to >90 degrees, I'll take it through a "no-touch" wash. Just to knock the bugs off. What can I say? I'm old. And lazy.

Just my 2 centavos, senor!

Old 06-18-2015, 10:08 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maxcichon
Mike,

you know I respect your opinions and analyses more than anyone in the industry-that being said, when I wash the 'buggy, it usually needs a bit of a spritz for the top. While I, too, would be concerned with saturation of the fabric with even a mild detergent (I use Meguiar's Gold, exclusively), I've found that if the fabric is properly treated with 303, RaggTopp etc, there is virtually no penetration. Evidenced by doing exactly as you suggested: using an intense spray-looking for evidence of suds.

And if this is an original, OEM top-I'd certainly be concerned about knocking the glass out of the fabric! Especially in an automatic wash with-GASP-brushes! About once per year-when the 6 AM temps get to >90 degrees, I'll take it through a "no-touch" wash. Just to knock the bugs off. What can I say? I'm old. And lazy.

Just my 2 centavos, senor!

I too am a old fart, (I do like the lazy Part) and only use Meguiar's gold. If I do take it through a Car wash, I try to find a Brushless one too. (NWCC Meets) the pressure to have a clean car...But I have taken the Toy through the Brush one a few time and my top is very clean. It could be the Northwest rain though? I would not do it a lot, for I do love to keep my car clean. Friday nights is Wash night!