Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

leak through fan motor

Old 09-05-2015, 11:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leak through fan motor

I was wondering if anyone is having a problem with water leaking into passenger side of car through fan fresh air vent. I have a 2005 crossfire limited convertible, I have removed the cover under the windshield wiper and noticed there is nothing but a open vent going into car. Any help or information would be appreciated.
Thanks to all for the reply, I will have to get brush to clean lines, I have already cleaned under cowling

Last edited by williammt; 09-06-2015 at 03:51 PM. Reason: to thank replies
Old 09-06-2015, 04:28 AM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Re: leak through fan motor

When you remove that cover under the windshield wipers you'll find a drain on each side of the car. Those drains are clogged with debris. Carefully clean them out (after you remove the debris you can see use a mall flexible drain brush to clean out the inside of the drains) and then test them by pouring water in them. The water should drain out quickly onto the ground.

Last edited by RED DOG; 09-06-2015 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:33 AM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by RED DOG
When you remove that cover under the windshield wipers you'll find a drain on each side of the car. Those drains are clogged with debris. Carefully clean them out and then test them by pouring water in them. The water should drain out quickly onto the floor.
There are actually three drains, you are forgetting the funnel shaped one in the middle in front of the passenger side windshield wiper pivot. It does not get plugged often because the drain holes in the cowl are so small.
If your cars drains get plugged it is worth the effort to remove the aft wheel well liners and clean the silt and smaller debris that is dumped there. I did the passenger side and there was a lot of small debris behind the windshield washer bottle, I have to do the other side.
The end drains just dump the water behind the fenders, the center drain dumps it in front of the firewall.

You can see the drains in this PDF.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:36 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RED DOG
...The water should drain out quickly onto the floor.
Do you mean floor of garage? (I hope) Not the floor of the car, right?
I have seen many cars have issues caused by clogged drains in various places, I need to check mine.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:10 AM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by pioneer4x4
Do you mean floor of garage? (I hope) Not the floor of the car, right?
I have seen many cars have issues caused by clogged drains in various places, I need to check mine.
A clogged drain on the passenger side will allow the water to rise in the drain channel so that it laps into the fresh air air inlet for the climate control, as is happening to the OP. Normally the water drains out behind the fenders, down behind the fender liner and then onto the ground.

These drains get easily clogged as the hole is so small, you can actually see the end drains if your peer down the ends of the cowl, and move the finger shaped rubber baffles out of the way.
Little leaves and such seem to get past these baffles and slowly start to block the drains.

Old 09-06-2015, 11:23 AM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
There are actually three drains, you are forgetting the funnel shaped one in the middle in front of the passenger side windshield wiper pivot. It does not get plugged often because the drain holes in the cowl are so small.
If your cars drains get plugged it is worth the effort to remove the aft wheel well liners and clean the silt and smaller debris that is dumped there. I did the passenger side and there was a lot of small debris behind the windshield washer bottle, I have to do the other side.
The end drains just dump the water behind the fenders, the center drain dumps it in front of the firewall.

You can see the drains in this PDF.
Originally Posted by onehundred80
A clogged drain on the passenger side will allow the water to rise in the drain channel so that it laps into the fresh air air inlet for the climate control, as is happening to the OP. Normally the water drains out behind the fenders, down behind the fender liner and then onto the ground.

These drains get easily clogged as the hole is so small, you can actually see the end drains if your peer down the ends of the cowl, and move the finger shaped rubber baffles out of the way.
Little leaves and such seem to get past these baffles and slowly start to block the drains.
That is 100% correct! THANKS for posting the additional details and the PDF link. It's always nice to see some photos . . .

Last edited by RED DOG; 09-06-2015 at 11:26 AM.