Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Programming Skreem Module

Old 02-04-2016, 03:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Programming Skreem Module

Originally Posted by BuffNSoFly
He did say they were busy and behind on work as well. As expected coming back from the holidays.

If it was me I would plus you figure its going to take a week to get there anyway. So he might get to it when it arrives.

Normally I have my car stored away until spring so I'm not in a big rush. My other SRT keeps me sane during the winter months.
You are right. It just hurts me to see it just sitting there and not working. I will send it over my Ecu and others to him today and get into the waiting Queue. I hope it is not going to take forever. At least he will be able to tell me if the Skreem is recognizing my new key or not and i will be able to decide on what else to do. If it recognizes it, then i will pin it down to the RFID ring in the ignition or the wire that goes from the ignition to the skreem.

Please keep me updated on your progress. I will also do the same.

Old 02-04-2016, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by cojoman
You are right. It just hurts me to see it just sitting there and not working. I will send it over my Ecu and others to him today and get into the waiting Queue. I hope it is not going to take forever. At least he will be able to tell me if the Skreem is recognizing my new key or not and i will be able to decide on what else to do. If it recognizes it, then i will pin it down to the RFID ring in the ignition or the wire that goes from the ignition to the skreem.

Please keep me updated on your progress. I will also do the same.
I know how you feel man. Mine has been sitting since September and not a day goes by I don't think about it haha.

Sounds good ill keep you updated.

Old 10-07-2016, 05:41 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You guys have any updates on this thread?

Old 10-07-2016, 06:03 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Apparently a member or two have had success with rebooting it themselves, I gave the method to one member and it worked for him as well.
This fix had been rumoured for some time but no one had tried it and reported back. Someone some years back mentioned it and it was forgotten, I traced down the post when someone booted up a new SKREEM module using the same basic method.
Seemingly it works if the module is not fried, and it has just got unconfigured.
We need it to be proven a few more times for it to be accepted as a proven method of repair.
The method can be found in the link in my sig.
Go to Engine-Electrical and read the Possible SKREEM fix? article.

Last edited by onehundred80; 10-07-2016 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-30-2017, 12:47 AM

Hey everyone!

I'm having the dreaded "start then die, then won't start" issue currently...as I'll need to get back there anyway, I'll try the SKREEM reset and report back here to let you know if it works for me.
(2005 NA hardtop with 102k miles, no drivetrain mods)

Wish me luck!

Old 06-30-2017, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by perceptionproblem
Hey everyone!

I'm having the dreaded "start then die, then won't start" issue currently...as I'll need to get back there anyway, I'll try the SKREEM reset and report back here to let you know if it works for me.
(2005 NA hardtop with 102k miles, no drivetrain mods)

Wish me luck!
Good luck but later reports say this reset does not work.

Old 06-30-2017, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Good luck but later reports say this reset does not work.
Oh, boo. Well, it can't hurt to try! Hahaha. At least I'll know that I did what I could, and that I'll have the dash all open for a new unit to be put in when the time comes.

Plus a pre-emptive sticky key fix and changing dash color while I'm in there.

Old 07-04-2017, 03:17 PM

Quick update:

I tried a number of times, and a number of SKREEM modules (sourced from the junkyard) and wasn't able to reset the SKREEM. Just wanted to keep everyone abreast so the next person that searches has more data points. :-)

I'll order my SKREEM tomorrow so hopefully I have a working car by the weekend.

Old 12-24-2017, 04:03 PM
JPA
Cool Re: Programming Skreem Module

Has anyone tried to over ride the skreem system. So it is not needed anymore??? Or I should say does anyone have the wire schematic for it so I can attempt to remove it from my 2007. I let the car sit for six months & when I tried to start my car I have a non working skreem system. The car started & stalled out . I started it two more times, then the starter would not start anymore. I repaired the rcm and still no start. Put a new battery and the car started once then the same problem. I would rather remove the skreem from the system for it is useless at this time & age of the car.... I enjoyed ten years of pounding on this beautiful car everyday. 206,795 miles of pure pounding fun....

Old 12-24-2017, 06:35 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by JPA
Has anyone tried to over ride the skreem system. So it is not needed anymore??? Or I should say does anyone have the wire schematic for it so I can attempt to remove it from my 2007.
My car is always in a locked garage, I have no fear of it being stolen. In order to avoid the mess of being stranded one day, I thought I'd bypass it. This idea came to me when I first bought my first Crossfire.

But it is not going to happen, you'd need to alter the program in the ECU such that the ECU did not do it's handshake with the SKREEM before enabling engine operation:

Last edited by pizzaguy; 12-24-2017 at 06:38 PM.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:59 AM
Received 343 Likes on 303 Posts

Has anyone tried to repair a defective skreem? I wonder what actually fails?

Old 12-27-2017, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
My car is always in a locked garage, I have no fear of it being stolen. In order to avoid the mess of being stranded one day, I thought I'd bypass it. This idea came to me when I first bought my first Crossfire.

But it is not going to happen, you'd need to alter the program in the ECU such that the ECU did not do it's handshake with the SKREEM before enabling engine operation:

Hi pizzaguy,

From what I'm reading the PCM and the SKREEM seemed to be two different modules. Also, I followed the service manual instruction to remove the SKREEM, which is behind the dashboard. However, the Part # from the module, that is behind the dash, and I'm 100% certain is a SKREEM, since it has ANT, and CAN input, is listed as PCM. Why is it so confusing....?

Old 12-27-2017, 04:29 PM
Administrator

The PCM is in the box next to the battery under the hood. The SKREEM is, well, right where you found it.
I've never looked at the part numbers, you know there are Chrysler numbers and Mercedes numbers. Due to the car being made by a now defunct consortium of Daimler/Chrysler and Mercedes, things are a bit of a mess.

Old 12-27-2017, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by 25jewel
Hi pizzaguy,

From what I'm reading the PCM and the SKREEM seemed to be two different modules. Also, I followed the service manual instruction to remove the SKREEM, which is behind the dashboard. However, the Part # from the module, that is behind the dash, and I'm 100% certain is a SKREEM, since it has ANT, and CAN input, is listed as PCM. Why is it so confusing....?
Where do you find this listed as a PCM?
On eBay it is often listed as a Door Module.
SKREEM part number is 170 820 18 26 and the Siemens number is 5WK4 8698.

Old 12-28-2017, 11:30 AM

I found it listed as PCM on Repairlink, our local supplier (which did not know he could not sell to us), and some other resources on the web. Those are the part numbers printed on the module. I ended up order one anyway, regardless of what it listed as on software. Our local supplier thought he could sell to us since it only a PCM. However, he call back and said it was a 'theft relevant' part, by then I knew I got the right part.

Old 12-28-2017, 03:40 PM
Administrator

I found it listed as PCM on Repairlink, our local supplier (which did not know he could not sell to us), and some other resources on the web. Those are the part numbers printed on the module. I ended up order one anyway, regardless of what it listed as on software. Our local supplier thought he could sell to us since it only a PCM. However, he call back and said it was a 'theft relevant' part, by then I knew I got the right part.
I think you are working blind. What I mean is this: If you are going to get this far into the car - you should be reading the service manual. It is available for download here on the forum in the tech section, the student reference is a good one to start with as well.

Service Manual:
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ollection.html
I think the student reference is over there, too. If not, Dave (180) can probably tell you where it is, I know I have it on my drive I just don't know where I got it.

Old 12-29-2017, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
I think you are working blind. What I mean is this: If you are going to get this far into the car - you should be reading the service manual. It is available for download here on the forum in the tech section, the student reference is a good one to start with as well.

Service Manual:
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ollection.html
I think the student reference is over there, too. If not, Dave (180) can probably tell you where it is, I know I have it on my drive I just don't know where I got it.
In post#52 he mentions the Service Manual.

Old 01-03-2018, 05:04 AM

Great news! I got the module today. It was a simple plug n play, and reprogramming the key fob.

I hope this information helps others that might have to replace the SKREEM. You DO NOT have to bring the car to the dealer for 'programming'.

Old 01-03-2018, 07:59 AM

Great news! I got the module today. It was a simple plug n play, and reprogramming the key fob.

I hope this information helps others that might have to replace the SKREEM. You DO NOT have to bring the car to the dealer for 'programming'.
If you got written instructions on how to do it can you scan them and let’s us put them on record?
These have just showed up at members homes with no instructions at all.

Old 01-04-2018, 01:35 AM

Long story short, all the required credentials are for 'theft prevention purposes'. A well reputation, competent indy-shop can order the SKREEM w.o any paperwork. The rest were just reversal steps. The key fob would not lock/unlock at first, but I could start the car, so problem solved. Then, I followed the instructions to program the key fob from our forum:
1. Simply insert key in ignition, and that's it, do not do anything else with it.
2. Click unlock twice. There will be electrical humming noises, that is the only indication that something is working.
3. Start the car and done!

I did not take pictures throughout the process, but I will be glad to help anyone, who might be going through the same problem. Simply message me.

Quick Reply: Programming Skreem Module