Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Convertible Top Hydraulic Purge

Old 05-21-2016, 01:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Convertible Top Hydraulic Purge

Ok, got my pump reservoir as clean as I could and manually raised and lowered the top when it was empty(almost empty) . Filled it with new fluid and raised and lowered it 3 times and then tried to down it automatically, no go. I also installed two rebuilt folding top cylinders. I believe I have them hooked up correctly? The top switch on the counsel has stop blinking and the manual spoiler switch works again. I'm assuming that the two switches(Hall effect) on the one cylinder are hooked up correctly?
1.) Do I need to manually raise and lower it some more?
2.) If hydraulic lines are hooked wrong, would that cause the problem?
Remember I never could get my tonneau cover latch to lock in the manual position. But conv. top button not blinking. Got me stymied.

No responses, either because eof the week end or no one knows the answer.

Last edited by djohn14296; 05-21-2016 at 08:24 PM. Reason: looking for somekind of response
Old 05-21-2016, 09:07 PM
Sponsor
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Convertible Top Hydraulic Purge

Hello djohn14296,

can you hear the pump running at all, and did you close the manual pressure relief valve on the side of the pump?

Originally Posted by djohn14296
Ok, got my pump reservoir as clean as I could and manually raised and lowered the top when it was empty(almost empty) . Filled it with new fluid and raised and lowered it 3 times and then tried to down it automatically, no go. I also installed two rebuilt folding top cylinders. I believe I have them hooked up correctly? The top switch on the counsel has stop blinking and the manual spoiler switch works again. I'm assuming that the two switches(Hall effect) on the one cylinder are hooked up correctly?
May I assume that you accidentally added question marks above? We wouldn't be able to tell whether you hooked anything up incorrectly, as there is no picture or description of how you did it. With respect to the hoses, the lower hoses on your main lift cylinders should have even numbers printed on the hose material near the fittings, I believe # 12 and # 14 on your main lift cylinders. The upper two hoses have odd numbers on them; should be # 11 and #13.

1.) Do I need to manually raise and lower it some more?
2.) If hydraulic lines are hooked wrong, would that cause the problem?
The manual operation should have purged air out of the pump, and the pump should be working now. Even if the hoses were hooked up in the wrong spots, the top should still start working under normal circumstances.

Remember I never could get my tonneau cover latch to lock in the manual position. But conv. top button not blinking. Got me stymied.
You started a new thread, so you have to assume that readers of this thread don't know about the other problem you are mentioning here. Please elaborate.

Klaus

Location of your Crossfire Roadster Cabriolet Hydraulics

Old 05-22-2016, 06:11 AM

Klaus,
Thank you for your response. I'll probably have to wait until Monday to respond to you question about the motor working? I'm hard of hearing and my hearing aids don't help much. My buddy will be over and he hears excellent so I'll check that out.
Hoses are hooked up correctly, by the numbers.
All I did was unscrew this control modular and move it out of the way so I would have easy access to the fill screw and the side of the reservoir. Unscrewed it and used a hand pump to remove as much of the fluid as possible, refilled with fluid, sucked it out again, refilled with fluid and then raised and lowered the top, emptied again and raised and lowered top 2 times. Refilled with fresh fluid, raised and lowered top 2 times, checked fluid level, it had not changed from filling level. Closed top and reconnected the battery, started car, tried lower the top, nothing. Windows went down when I released the bow.
As far as the manual pressure relief valve, have no idea of its location? Other than moving modular out of the way and unscrewing and screwing the refill screw, didn't monkey with anything else.

I have insert a picture of modular that I moved out of the way, I did not unhook it.
I'm not sure what your question is about the question marks, I believe there both were questions? Well you answer with the numbers on the hoses. That is what I was really looking for, could not find that anywhere.
Started new thread, because I guess I'm not very smart in the ways this forum works, the other thread was not drawing to much attention, so this one seemed to be more to the point, sorry if I broke any rules?
I really don't want to dig out the pump and have it rebuilt, this car is turning into a money pit, love the car, just so damn expensive to maintain. It would appear that all the connections are hooked up correctly. So I'll just have to wait till Monday on the motor running.
Thanks again for your response, Klaus. You really are a great person to have on this site.

DJ

Old 05-22-2016, 08:48 AM

Ok went out this morning started car up. Un-latched the top, windows went down, pushed the top switch and the rear window bow unlocked and stopped, did not lift up. But the top made an effort to start going back. So tried the close function on the switch, the rear bow reattached itself and locked. Getting closer you think to it actually working? I think the next step will be to manually put top down, then see if I can raise it. I believe the tonneau cover not locking has something to do with it?

DJ

Old 05-22-2016, 12:23 PM
Administrator
Received 879 Likes on 685 Posts

If Klaus was not here and I'd seen your post - all I could do is shrug my shoulders.

Old 05-22-2016, 12:42 PM
Sponsor
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

As far as the manual pressure relief valve, have no idea of its location?
Hello DJ,

first off, I owe you an apology. There is no external pressure relief valve on the Crossfire pump! Most hydraulic pumps have external pressure relief valves that need to be opened before manually moving the top, but the Crossfire pump does not. I had been responding on several other forums yesterday before the Crossfire forum, and I mixed that up in my previous response. The Crossfire not having that external pressure relief valve is a good thing - it makes your life easier.

Ok went out this morning started car up. Un-latched the top, windows went down, pushed the top switch and the rear window bow unlocked and stopped, did not lift up.
That is good news! It means that the pump is working, so we needn't worry about that for now. The next thing to check is whether the rear bow lock is giving the "unlatched" signal to the control module.

Before the signal comes from the micro switch on the rear bow lock (p/n 05142957AA aka A 193 750 0184) that the lock is actually unlatched, the pump will not be directing any fluid to the rear bow tension cylinders (p/n 05142640AA and 05170014AA) to lift up the rear bow. That "unlatched" signal is actually an open circuit, as opposed to a closed circuit when the rear bow latch is locked. There is some reverse logic involved here: the micro switch on the rear bow lock gets triggered by a metal lever that is supposed to push on the switch when the latch open. The micro switch itself is a "normally closed" switch, so it creates an open circuit when triggered. It is possible that grime has built up in your rear bow latch such that the small lever that is supposed to trigger the micro switch on the rear bow latch isn't able to move far enough. A good dowsing of that lever mechanism with WD-40 or similar might take care of the problem. You get access to the rear bow latch once the tonneau cover is open. It is fairly easy to remove from the tonneau cover, so you may want to do that and examine how the lever works that I'm talking about.

Klaus

Old 05-22-2016, 12:48 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

first off, I owe you an apology. There is no external pressure relief valve on the Crossfire pump! Most hydraulic pumps have external pressure relief valves that need to be opened before manually moving the top, but the Crossfire pump does not. I had been responding on several other forums yesterday before the Crossfire forum, and I mixed that up in my previous response. The Crossfire not having that external pressure relief valve is a good thing - it makes your life easier.
From the service manual :
STANDARD PROCEDURE - RELIEVING HYDRAULIC PRESSURE
Note: The hydraulic pressure must be relieved before the top can manually be raised or lowered.
1. Turn the ignition to the “ON” position.
2. Push down on the convertible top switch and hold in that position.
3. Turn the ignition “OFF” and continue to push down on the switch
4. After 5 seconds the hydraulic system pressure will be relieved.

Old 05-22-2016, 03:57 PM

Klaus, No apology is needed. Glad your on this forum and willing to help. We would be totally at a loss without you.

Sometimes being a little dense, and easily confused. I'm not following what you are saying? My rear window bow will unlatch and if I push the close button, it will pull down and latch, if that is what your talking about.
With the tonneau cover latch, I could never get it to latch(to catch, lock, whatever) manually when the system wasn't working. I tried the ground down 10mm wrench, then bought the special tool. I could get the mechanism to latch, at least sounded like it and the wrench moved to the proper position, but I could lift the t-cover up. I even had a friend push down on it while trying to latch it. To no avail. I guess I should make sure that it is in the locked position(the latch) prior to trying to lower the top, what do you think, sound like a plan maybe?
I have to tell you, the people who (Germans) designed the electronics must have been smoking loco weed. Why would you have the manual lifting of the rear spoiler integrated into the 2 Hall effect attachments on the hydraulics for it to work properly, yet at 63mph, work perfectly. Not a lot of common sense. Anyways, will try the above and get back to you.
Thanks again
DJ

Last edited by djohn14296; 05-22-2016 at 08:19 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:56 AM
Angry Re: Convertible Top Hydraulic Purge

Well went out and tried my own suggestion, manually put top down, believe it or not got tonneau cover to latch. Wonders will never cease?? Tried to put top up, nothing then remember that I hadn't put up trunks' dividing partition, duh. Put top back got in trunk put up the partition. What the heck, tops up, see if I can get it to go down. Put windows up started car, unhook header, windows go down, bow unhooks from the tonneau cover and raises about 5-6inches of the lid and stops. Nothing, nada. OK, turn car off, turn key to the on position, push button, turn key off, hold button a good 10 sec., and can't get the pressure to release? Can't get in trunk to manually attach the bow catch. Can't raise bow, under pressure, so I'm stuck with bow partially up and still can't get trunk open. If this car was an animal, I would go out with my 45 and shoot it dead, grrrrrrr. Any idea how long the system will hold pressure? It has to give it up at some point???? Right????
I know if it doesn't, though the license plate light and pull emergency release handle.
Any and all help greatly appreciated.

DJ
PS: The manual switch for the spoiler isn't working again..............

Last edited by djohn14296; 05-23-2016 at 11:58 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 05-23-2016, 11:59 AM

Try the "release hydraulic pressure" procedure I posted. ( post #7 )

Old 05-23-2016, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Try the "release hydraulic pressure" procedure I posted. ( post #7 )
Did that, been there. Worked last time I tried it, didn't seem to, so just waited. It finally released the pressure.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:54 PM
Question Re: Convertible Top Hydraulic Purge

Ok, news up date, in the continuing love story of a man and his car. Got the rear bow to partially latch and took a chance that it would automatically close and latch with the switch. Car still loves me, it latched all the way. Trunk opened. Planted a big one the soft top. Put my gun away.
I have a question that I think only Klaus can answer, but maybe one of you gentlemen who have run across the hydraulic rebuild problems can answer it?
Does the reserve for the fluid have a sensor in it? And if not, if the fluid falls below the minimum line, will that affect the opening and closing of the top? There is still fluid in the reserve, so I'm not sure if it has to be at, at least the bottom minimum line, when at rest?
The switch light is blinking again and spoiler not working with manual switch.
Anyone, know anyone near Orlando that will work on these, for a reasonable fee?

Old 05-23-2016, 03:05 PM

Does the reserve for the fluid have a sensor in it?
NO
And if not, if the fluid falls below the minimum line, will that affect the opening and closing of the top?
YES
There is still fluid in the reserve, so I'm not sure if it has to be at, at least the bottom minimum line, when at rest?
YES
Anyone, know anyone near Orlando that will work on these, for a reasonable fee?
Try Chuck, although I'm not sure if he works on tops. ( chuk_138 )

Old 05-23-2016, 05:40 PM
Thumbs up Re: Convertible Top Hydraulic Purge

Try Chuck, although I'm not sure if he works on tops. ( chuk_138 )[/QUOTE]

I sent a private message to Chuk, on Saturday. No response. I'll try his phone to night. I guess Klaus is missing in action? Thanks for the come back ala.

DJ

Old 05-23-2016, 08:42 PM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

Try Chuck, although I'm not sure if he works on tops. ( chuk_138 )

..................... I guess Klaus is missing in action? Thanks for the come back ala.

DJ[/QUOTE]
I guess Klaus has to work sometimes to keep food on the table for himself and his employees. He probably does not keep his eye on this forum 24/7.
I think he has been most generous with his time and knowledge, others have answered your questions and he probably feels he does not have do so as well.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:52 AM
Talking Re: Convertible Top Hydraulic Purge

Originally Posted by onehundred80
..................... I guess Klaus is missing in action? Thanks for the come back ala.

DJ
I guess Klaus has to work sometimes to keep food on the table for himself and his employees. He probably does not keep his eye on this forum 24/7.
I think he has been most generous with his time and knowledge, others have answered your questions and he probably feels he does not have do so as well.[/QUOTE]

!st of all 100, I wasn't casting dispersion on Klaus. and, I realize that he has better things to do than answer individual questions. With that being said, he usually stuck with other threads till the problem(s) where solved. And if you refer to previous statements in this post, you'll see that I praised his help and knowledge. As a lawyer I guess you feel you have to defend him? I also realize, with your vast knowledge, how much help you bring and are to the forum. Enough said, if I offended Klaus, that was not my intention.

DJ

Old 05-24-2016, 07:12 AM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

!st. of all 100, I wasn't casting dispersion on Klaus. and, I realize that he has better things to do than answer individual questions. With that being said, he usually stuck with other threads till the problem(s) where solved. And if you refer to previous statements in this post, you'll see that I praised his help and knowledge. As a lawyer I guess you feel you have to defend him? I also realize, with your vast knowledge, how much help you bring and are to the forum. Enough said, if I offended Klaus, that was not my intention.
I am not being critical of you in the least, I am sure he has lots to do and maybe yesterday he had something more vital to attend to.
Chrysler published the service manual for the super charger and the roadster roof, it seems few were aware of it and hence few sold. It is now out of print I believe, I should have purchased more of them when I had the chance. It is highly informative on the operation of roof, it certainly has lots of diagrams of the valve circuits at various stages of the roof operation.

Last edited by onehundred80; 05-24-2016 at 07:16 AM.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:10 AM
Smile Re: Convertible Top Hydraulic Purge

Well another day and another dollar, almost thought happy days were here .
Filled the reservoir to the full mark, then tried lowering roof again. The window bow released and raised up normally. Then tonneau cover raises up (heart be still), then everything stops. . I don't think the cylinder's hydraulic lines are hooked up wrong, but I'll check. Just not today. Have a couple Doctor's appointments. There maybe a sensor, after filling the reservoir, the manual spoiler switch was working again. Wasn't yesterday.
Again, thanks to all that have responded. Will keep everyone updated should I get it working.

DJ

Old 05-28-2016, 08:58 PM
Unhappy Re: Convertible Top Hydraulic Purge

Well, guess this thread has about run it's course. Still in the same situation. Have one more course of action before I disconnect them all and do it by hand. I would like to thank all who responded and for their suggestions. Have a great Memorial Day and remember why we have it. And a thank you to the veterans on this, for their service. God bless everyone.

DJ