Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Convertible top alarm

Old 10-07-2016, 06:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible top alarm

With top down all works fine.
With top in up/closed position, alarm sounds off. After aprox 1/4 mile it stops until I go slower than 7 mph then it sounds off slow beep and stops again when I go past 7 mph.
After a little while alarm will sound off again until I push convertible top button and it will stop again.
Also while top is in open position I can raise or lower trunk wing manually.
While top is up I can not operate wing manually but it does work when I go past 65 mph and lowers automatically also.
My reservoir is at the min level ? Does this have a sensor that will make it sound off ? If so what fluid is used?
Is there a hidden sensor or switch? I checked all I can find including one in upper windshield header and above passenger head.
Can anyone help me ? !!

Old 10-07-2016, 06:22 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Convertible top alarm

I can answer a part of that : there is no fluid level sensor, and it uses Pentosin CHF 11S
Here is a list of all the switches :
1. top locked - in the header above the windshield
2. top released - above passenger ear
3. bow locked - in the bow lock assemble
4. tonneau locked - in the tonneau lock assembly
5. trunk closed - in the trunk latch assembly.
There are also some Hall-effect travel sensors associated with the hydraulic cylinders.

Old 10-07-2016, 06:42 PM
Administrator
Received 880 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Ard227
With top down all works fine.
With top in up/closed position, alarm sounds off. After aprox 1/4 mile it stops until I go slower than 7 mph then it sounds off slow beep and stops again when I go past 7 mph.
After a little while alarm will sound off again until I push convertible top button and it will stop again.
Also while top is in open position I can raise or lower trunk wing manually. A-ha!
While top is up I can not operate wing manually but it does work when I go past 65 mph and lowers automatically also. A-ha!

My reservoir is at the min level ? Does this have a sensor that will make it sound off ? If so what fluid is used?
Is there a hidden sensor or switch? I checked all I can find including one in upper windshield header and above passenger head.
Can anyone help me ? !!
THis one is easy because we now know two things:

• There is a sensor somewhere not indicating to the TCM that the cycle has completed when you put the top up.
  • What ever sensor it is, it does not have this effect when the top is down.

This means the cycle completes when you put it DOWN but not when you put it UP.

Try this (unless you already know the answer):

Put the top fully up and latch it to the windshield frame.
Put both windows all the way up.
Now, turn the D latch and release the top from the windshield frame.

Do the windows go down automatically? This is a yes or no question - If not, I know what is wrong. If they DO go down, this is gonna take some more thinking.....

Last edited by pizzaguy; 10-07-2016 at 06:44 PM.
Old 10-07-2016, 07:07 PM

Ok just tried it. The windows Do Not go down automatically when I turn handle and lift it. They do go down automatically when I press convertible. Top button.

Old 10-08-2016, 05:45 PM

Hey Pizzaguy !!
What do you think it is ?
Thanks

Old 10-08-2016, 06:18 PM
Administrator

The Latch Retainer Switch.

When you unlatch the top from the frame, the Latch Retainer Switch ("sensor") in the windsheild frame tells the Top Module that you have released the top from the frame, the Top Module then tells the BCM to lower the windows. But this is not happening. SO, it's the switch/sensor in the frame.

Unlatch the top from the frame, see the hook on the passenger side that grabs the frame? That hoook also compresses a switch in the windshield frame. That is the bad switch.

You cannot fix this without the horribly written service manual, cause I bet you cant GET to the switch without following the instructions in the manual. Download the manual and get to reading. Prepare yourself, the information is in there, but the manual is poorly illustrated and not well organized.

As to finding a switch, well, I doubt you will find a "Crossfire Latch Retainer Switch" on google, but I know it's a common switch and you CAN find them.

Old 10-08-2016, 06:51 PM

Ok I am familiar with that switch.
I just went out and released handle and lifted top from windshield, I stuck my finger in and was able to depress switch and top alarm sounds off. Seems like a communication problem from switch to bcm maybe ?

Old 10-08-2016, 06:58 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Is by any chance the CLPM wet ?
( It's under the floor panel in the trunk on the passenger side wrapped in gray high density foam, unfortunately you have to remove the rear inside trim panel to get to it. )

I'm thinking maybe the CAN bus which is common to the BCM and CLPM could be compromised by a wet CLPM :
( the PTCM sends an email to the BCM telling it to lower the windows. )

Last edited by ala_xfire; 10-08-2016 at 07:08 PM.
Old 10-08-2016, 07:12 PM

No it is not wet, I had already been down there to check connections .
And yes a lot of fun to put back.

Old 10-09-2016, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ard227
Ok I am familiar with that switch.
I just went out and released handle and lifted top from windshield, I stuck my finger in and was able to depress switch and top alarm sounds off. Seems like a communication problem from switch to bcm maybe ?
As George showed you, the sensor applies a ground to the input of the Power Top Control Module, the PTCM then instructs the BCM (over the CAN bus) to lower the windows.

Get back into the PTCM and measure the voltage on C1-16 with Key on - you should see it go from 12 or so volts to nearly zero as you unlatch the top from the frame. (Or from 0 to 12, not sure if it is positive or negative logic - point is, you should see the change.) If you dont, get into the frame and get to the switch and change it.

If you DO see the change in voltage, then it's in the PTCM but I doubt that given the fact that the PTCM is capable of doing the rest of it's job just fine.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 10-09-2016 at 12:25 PM.