Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Tire Presure Sensor Question

Old 02-12-2017, 04:44 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: Tire Presure Sensor Question

Originally Posted by lovecross
but a dealer tech programmed them to our car
Technically correct would be training the cars computer to the new sensors. Nothing gets "programmed" with the OEM type sensors.

Old 02-12-2017, 06:05 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=KDW4Him;881852]Technically correct would be training the cars computer to the new sensors. Nothing gets "programmed" with the OEM type sensors.[/QUOTE
Yes, thank you. The car is "trained" to recognize the signal from each new sensor. I am happy that the system works as designed. Not sure, but Schrader OEM parts may actually be available for less $ than Napa. I guess the trick is getting a dealer with the right tools to do the simple job, without ripping the customer off.

Old 02-12-2017, 07:09 PM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by KDW4Him
Technically correct would be training the cars computer to the new sensors. Nothing gets "programmed" with the OEM type sensors.
Could you write up a new post listing the parts that are known to work?
We have clonable ones mentioned as well as the old Schrader20028? Or whatever the number is.
The original posts go on and on and a new short one might save everyone some time and save some errors.
Thanks

Old 02-15-2017, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Could you write up a new post listing the parts that are known to work?
We have clonable ones mentioned as well as the old Schrader20028? Or whatever the number is.
The original posts go on and on and a new short one might save everyone some time and save some errors.
Thanks
I could but your parts post is 99% all accurate in the original top post. The only reading past that is the banter. I only recall two reports of clonables working. One you have added and I think Clint knew of the other.

Maybe if the mods could make them sticky's....

Old 03-27-2017, 01:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just getting around to finally getting these sensors replaced. I understand there are two types from the thread. Schrader and Siemens.

On RockAuto, I see there are a two different types "Direct Fit- Programming Not Required, Relearn Process Still Required" or the "Multi-Fit - Programming Required" So I figured I get some from the Direct Fit parts. There are about 10 types in this section, two from Schrader. Based on the outside look of my wheel, I believe the 20028 part number is the best match. (~$36 each)

Any tips appreciated from you all.

Old 03-27-2017, 03:06 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Anyone have any experience with the set sold by TireRack? I need to get some this week and am looking for Schrader.

Old 03-27-2017, 04:14 PM
Forum Regular
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

We never got the TPMS in the cars sold here so i bought this aftermarket system . It has tyre temp, hi lo pressure and slow leak warnings plus a volts display and a handy usb socket for my phone
Works great !
Car TPMS Tyre Pressure Monitoring System cigarette lighter Digital LCD Display | eBay

Old 03-27-2017, 06:00 PM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by daveesrt6
We never got the TPMS in the cars sold here so i bought this aftermarket system . It has tyre temp, hi lo pressure and slow leak warnings plus a volts display and a handy usb socket for my phone
Works great !
Car TPMS Tyre Pressure Monitoring System cigarette lighter Digital LCD Display | eBay

Fleabay here in good ole USA ( Car TPMS Tyre Pressure Monitoring System cigarette lighter Digital LCD Display | eBay )...

Old 03-30-2017, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by harbor
Anyone have any experience with the set sold by TireRack? I need to get some this week and am looking for Schrader.
I had Tire rack put 4 of these on, 20028 then my dealer in GR charged me 1/2 hour labor to relearn the new sensors.

Old 04-03-2017, 10:32 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KDW4Him
I had Tire rack put 4 of these on, 20028 then my dealer in GR charged me 1/2 hour labor to relearn the new sensors.
Thanks KDW. Ordered a set today along with some Pirelli P Zeros. Will have them initialized at the dealership when in for the airbag recall.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:52 AM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by harbor

Jim I purchased new sensors when I got my new rims and tires couple of years ago. work fine and the dealership synced them no charge.

Old 04-07-2017, 03:21 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi all you TPMS fans. Haven't logged onto the Forum for a while, wondered what new wisdom might be available. And, getting close to convertible season here in Michigan!

Confirmed several times over that the only way to get a Crossfire to "relearn" new original type wheel sensors (not programmable, not cloneable, fixed sensor ID built in) is with the Chrysler dealership DRB III with the Crossfire - Sprinter Multiplexer cable with a Crossfire software card in the DRB III. Since the DRB III was superseded at Chrysler shops after 2007, more than a few dealerships have lost this gear, never had it, or won't be bothered.

(Leading to an aside: 2007 and 2008 Crossfire cars for North America may be serviceable with the later, more online dealership diagnostic equipment. Anyone confirm this? Although I believe one report somewhere here on the Forum said a 2007 owner had to track down a DRB III to get their TPMS relearn.) (And another report I saw noted that the newer equipment had to be lied to that a 2008 model year car was a 2007 before functioning.)

By now every tire shop must have one of the handheld TPMS tools which can read signals from the wheel sensors. The original factory sensors may, or may not, respond to the LF (Low Frequency) trigger signal from such a tool to report its status, including ID number. When I took my 10 year old factory sensors to get checked two of the four responded to the radio trigger, the other two waited until the TPMS magnet was put on them, then reported. But getting wheel sensor function checked by a tire shop should be quick and easy and free. Just ask them to bring their magnet with them, in case they don't get a signal with the radio trigger.

Also recognize (because a lot of tire techs will not) that a wheel sensor which sends a signal to the handheld TPMS tool 5cm away may not be reaching all the way to our Crossfire receiver up by the garage opener buttons. Some newer sensors include a battery strength report in their transmission, not the Crossfire ones.

I suspect that the supposed Siemens wheel sensors using the 315 MHz frequency might be a phantom on Crossfire. Has anyone in the USA or Canada found 315 MHz sensors in their Crossfire? I know that 315 MHz systems are generally more common than 433 MHz in North America, but wonder why such a mix would have happened for Crossfire.

And just a brief reminder that the easy way seems more and more the EZ-Sensor cloneable ID way. Other brands also available, but Schrader would be my first choice. No extra trip to a Chrysler dealership required.

Last edited by ZH SRT6; 04-07-2017 at 03:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-31-2017, 01:36 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Cloning sounds good but how can a sensor with a dead battery be cloned ?

Old 09-01-2017, 04:57 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The sensor battery will be too weak to send a signal all the way to the car's receiver up by the mirror LONG before it completely dies. Mine still transmitted to the handheld TPMS tool at least four months after the warning light came on (although two wanted to be triggered by the magnet, not the TPMS tool LF radio trigger signal).

Even after the battery might be COMPLETELY dead - the factory sensors, at least, have their fixed ID number printed on a label on their body. So a tire shop COULD use that printed code to clone a new sensor. But probably have never done it that way before, so will believe it is impossible. The way they have done it is by walking around the car, recording the old IDs into the TPMS tool, then using the tool to clone replacement sensors.

I have been asking Bartec, makers of the standard TPMS tools (also sold under several other brand names) how this cloning using a WRITTEN sensor ID can be done with their tools, don't have a satisfying answer yet. But they confirmed it CAN be done.

Old 09-01-2017, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by ZH SRT6
The sensor battery will be too weak to send a signal all the way to the car's receiver up by the mirror LONG before it comtpletely dies. Mine still transmitted to the handheld TPMS tool at least four months after the warning light came on (although two wanted to be triggered by the magnet, not the TPMS tool LF radio trigger signal).

Even after the battery might be COMPLETELY dead - the factory sensors, at least, have their fixed ID number printed on a label on their body. So a tire shop COULD use that printed code to clone a new sensor. But probably have never done it that way before, so will believe it is impossible. The way they have done it is by walking around the car, recording the old IDs into the TPMS tool, then using the tool to clone replacement sensors.

I have been asking Bartec, makers of the standard TPMS tools (also sold under several other brand names) how this cloning using a WRITTEN sensor ID can be done with their tools, don't have a satisfying answer yet. But they confirmed it CAN be done.
You do not add many threads or posts up on this forum but when you do they are worth waiting for.
Thanks for the input, thirteen years has past for my car and I am sure that this problem will arise soon.
Great job.

Old 01-04-2018, 01:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Re: Tire Presure Sensor Question

I have been following this thread as I had a problem with My TPMS also that was a bad sensor . After it was replaced the only one who could reset monitol was a Chrysler dealer and they had to upgrade their software to do it .
I have been going to disect the old sensor that was bad to see if I could replace the battery like was stated in this thread . Well the sensor Part # 52088990AC was molded as someone stated . I had to cut and pry the thing apart to find the battery . Now manybe if I worked on 5 or 10 I could find a way to get it apart . But I would say its not rebuildable . Their is no easy access to the battery . This thing is tuffer than working on an Apple iPhone !!!
I would post some pictures but don't know how to attach them to this thread .

Thanks and hope that helps the next Guy !!

Old 01-04-2018, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by daveesrt6
Works great !
I see tyre is spelled the way god said it should be, until those upstart Yanks started messing with things. It's a wonder they didn't change the spelling of bible to bibel.

How accurate is that system? It looks interesting.

Old 01-04-2018, 09:13 PM
Forum Regular
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I see tyre is spelled the way god said it should be, until those upstart Yanks started messing with things. It's a wonder they didn't change the spelling of bible to bibel.

How accurate is that system? It looks interesting.
LOL, yes but we love upstarts dont we , look at our cars.

Yes,it is a neat setup and they are quite accurate, at least the ones i have are, China QC being what it is they may not all be so.

The sensors weigh 8g each , you would need to get the wheels balanced again after fitting .

Since i had new wheels fitted i have not used the sensors , there was a little vibration with them on so i took them off .

You have now reminded me to put the sensors back on the valve stems and get the wheels balanced .

Last edited by daveesrt6; 01-05-2018 at 06:03 AM.