Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

SL55 Y Pipe and Air intake pies fitted (pics)

Old 11-25-2007, 07:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SL55 Y Pipe and Air intake pipes fitted (pics) & brief review

cross7.jpg

cross8.jpg

Above is the finished fitting. Looks pretty stock still, I think.

Performance wise, I noticed the following:
1) sounds a little more angry / aggressive under full throttle
2) between 5,000 and 6,000 RPM it pulls stronger than before
3) gear changes feel stronger for 1st - 2nd and 2nd - 3rd
4) wheel spin in 1st is a little easier too
5) flooring it when cruising at 40mph, gives an improved "push" and it really goes for it, even better than before (which was good anyway)
6) slight increase in the sound from the supercharger

All in all, I am very pleased with the mod. WOT is where it seems to make most of the difference. I would guess it does reduce the 0-60 slightly as it does feel noticably quicker.

So the Butt Dyno says do it !

Last edited by simon-srt6; 11-26-2007 at 05:39 AM.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:44 AM
Question Re: SL55 Y Pipe and Air intake pies fitted (pics)

Where did you get the y pipe and intakes ? And how much were they ?

Old 11-25-2007, 08:52 AM
<--- Huge Horsepower
Default Re: SL55 Y Pipe and Air intake pies fitted (pics)

Originally Posted by alfdoc
Where did you get the y pipe and intakes ? And how much were they ?
Part # 1130900129 Price $90.95 @ oempartsdirect.com

Or about $115 at your local MB dealer.

I'm waiting for delivery on the complete SL55 AMG V8 intake system - UPS says scheduled delivery is for tomorrow.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:10 AM
Talking Re: SL55 Y Pipe and Air intake pies fitted (pics)

Thanks for the info.

Old 11-25-2007, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by BrianBrave
Part # 1130900129 Price $90.95 @ oempartsdirect.com

Or about $115 at your local MB dealer.

I'm waiting for delivery on the complete SL55 AMG V8 intake system - UPS says scheduled delivery is for tomorrow.
You will have to post how much difference the Air boxes and air feeds makes, as I may go down that route too. Will you be trying it as I have it above and then with the air boxes, or just go the whole hog first time ?

Si

Old 11-27-2007, 09:11 AM
<--- Huge Horsepower

Originally Posted by simon-srt6
You will have to post how much difference the Air boxes and air feeds makes, as I may go down that route too. Will you be trying it as I have it above and then with the air boxes, or just go the whole hog first time ?

Si
It should be delivered today. I plan on installing the whole intake tonight.

The biggest task will be enlarging the plastic openings at the grill. I am sure I will need to remove them, cut them with a dremmel tool then figure out how to re-mount the bottom piece (if needed).

I will post pictures and part numbers when I am done.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:42 PM
Forum Regular

It should be delivered today. I plan on installing the whole intake tonight.

The biggest task will be enlarging the plastic openings at the grill. I am sure I will need to remove them, cut them with a dremmel tool then figure out how to re-mount the bottom piece (if needed).

I will post pictures and part numbers when I am done.
Hey guys, I just installed my set up today and I realy can tell a difference with the SL55 Y pipe. If you compare the original Y, the design is pathetic. I do have the dual 3" intakes rather than stock so not sure how this may also have added the boost. Seat of pants tells me "I like it a lot".

Old 11-27-2007, 09:10 PM
<--- Huge Horsepower

Originally Posted by SRT-6 Steve
Hey guys, I just installed my set up today and I realy can tell a difference with the SL55 Y pipe. If you compare the original Y, the design is pathetic. I do have the dual 3" intakes rather than stock so not sure how this may also have added the boost. Seat of pants tells me "I like it a lot".
I installed the SL55 Y-pipe, Airboxes and intake tubes tonight.

What big difference. The inlet pipes are huge. I took a picture of the stock SRT inlet with my hand in it and it only fit to the knuckles - with the V8 intakes I could fit my arm in to the elbow. The boxes are bigger - filter is bigger - and you already know about the Y-pipe. Took it out for a spin and I can say is that it is the best $$ I have spent yet on the car. And I didn't even need to trim for the oil filler cap. LET is going to offer the whole setup including filters for $320 shipped to your door. If you already have the Y-pipe I am sure it will be less.

I still need to fab two small brackets and trim a little so the stock engine cover will fit - but I don't have the time now so I will get to it this weekend - the car is still fully driveable as is.

I will do a post tomorrow with pictures and part numbers (it looks very stock but bigger) but I need to eat and get prepared for a presentation tomorrow.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:02 AM

I installed the SL55 Y-pipe, Airboxes and intake tubes tonight.

What big difference. The inlet pipes are huge. I took a picture of the stock SRT inlet with my hand in it and it only fit to the knuckles - with the V8 intakes I could fit my arm in to the elbow. The boxes are bigger - filter is bigger - and you already know about the Y-pipe. Took it out for a spin and I can say is that it is the best $$ I have spent yet on the car. And I didn't even need to trim for the oil filler cap. LET is going to offer the whole setup including filters for $320 shipped to your door. If you already have the Y-pipe I am sure it will be less.

I still need to fab two small brackets and trim a little so the stock engine cover will fit - but I don't have the time now so I will get to it this weekend - the car is still fully driveable as is.

I will do a post tomorrow with pictures and part numbers (it looks very stock but bigger) but I need to eat and get prepared for a presentation tomorrow.
How did you get on with getting the Air intake pies through the front grill ?

I am tempted to change those and leave the Std airboxes in place next, but want to know how much work is need to get through the bulkhead and what tools I will need.

Glad you felt a worthwhile difference. As you say, it could be the best value for money performance mod for the SRT6.

Cheers,
Si

Old 11-28-2007, 02:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by simon-srt6
How did you get on with getting the Air intake pies through the front grill ?

I am tempted to change those and leave the Std airboxes in place next, but want to know how much work is need to get through the bulkhead and what tools I will need.

Glad you felt a worthwhile difference. As you say, it could be the best value for money performance mod for the SRT6.

Cheers,
Si
All I see in the first post for pic's is red X's, is anybody else seeing this? I done a mod to the intake tube's this past weekend opening them up to 2-1/4" through the radiator support. I have a write up in a word document that I had planned on doing a cut & past into the body of a post, but I can't get picture's to load this week for some reason. I have not made the post because it would be had to understand without the pic's. If anyone is interested in hosting the pic's for me, I could e-mail them to them to post for me.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:24 AM

Steve,

Send em to me if you haven't figured it out yet:

S_Queeney@hotmail.com

SQ

Old 11-28-2007, 07:36 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnQ
Steve,

Send em to me if you haven't figured it out yet:

S_Queeney@hotmail.com

SQ
Picture's sent, let me know if you got them.

Thanks,
Steve

Old 11-28-2007, 07:58 AM

Brian, who is LET? How can I contact them to order a complete Intake kit for $320.

Thanks,
Dan

Old 11-28-2007, 07:59 AM

Got 'em, and replied with links.

I just upload my pictures at http://www.imageshack.us , then use the image button above to post them - like so:

Old 11-28-2007, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by DerEifelFahrer
Brian, who is LET? How can I contact them to order a complete Intake kit for $320.

Thanks,

Dan
http://www.letmotorsports.com/

Old 11-28-2007, 08:03 AM
<--- Huge Horsepower

Originally Posted by DerEifelFahrer

Thanks,
Dan
Here ya go. Give him a call - his price is around the same as oempartsdirect.com but you get free shipping. All items I got from LET were in sealed MB boxes.

http://www.letmotorsports.com/mb.asp...2&category=all

I hope to do a write up tonight.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:07 PM
THREE 6S

Have there been any documented gains with this mod or just a feeling? Not being a smart *** because I like the "stock" look over the single CAI but would like to know the numbers.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everything I have read people have lost performance with this mod UNLESS your cars ECU is tuned or remapped for the extra air which in turn leads to you needing more fuel. It is a significant loss I am talking If I remember correctly 12 HP, I did a search and here is the thread with the dyno. Some members have run this on there car at the track and say they see a gain. I don't know how you see a gain when it will retard the timing.
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ad.php?t=19508 Simon and Steve are you sure your feeling gains ??

Last edited by jonnyangel04; 11-28-2007 at 08:48 PM.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by jonnyangel04
Everything I have read people have lost performance with this mod UNLESS your cars ECU is tuned or remapped for the extra air which in turn leads to you needing more fuel. It is a significant loss I am talking If I remember correctly 12 HP, I did a search and here is the thread with the dyno. Some members have run this on there car at the track and say they see a gain. I don't know how you see a gain when it will retard the timing.
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ad.php?t=19508 Simon and Steve are you sure your feeling gains ??
2 reviews are on here with this mod (or similar). one with the SL55 pipes and Y Pipe the other with the SL55 Y pipe but std intake pipes (which are very restrictive). The latter one was not tersted at WOT and didnt go above 5500rpm and showed a loss. The other was tested using a G -Tech and tested with and without the whole mod and showed good gains. Also the Needswings CAI probably flows even more air than this mod and the ECU copes just fine with that.

What I can tell you is thay between 5,000 & 6,000 rpm there is a definate improvement over stock that you can feel. It also makes the gearchanges stronger. BrianBrave has even included the airboxes and air feed tubes (from the SL55) so would flow even more air and I can assure you he would not say it went better if it didn't... no offence BrianBrave but I know you take some convincing to be impressed.

Last edited by simon-srt6; 11-29-2007 at 12:12 AM.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by ShawnQ
Got 'em, and replied with links.

I just upload my pictures at http://www.imageshack.us , then use the image button above to post them - like so:

Hi Shawn & Steve,

Did you need to cut any metal out for this mod, or does the larger pipe fit through the existing hole ok ?

If this is the case, I guess the only problem is fitting the 2 pipes together securly as one is tapered, is this correct ?

Si

Last edited by simon-srt6; 11-29-2007 at 12:12 AM.

Quick Reply: SL55 Y Pipe and Air intake pies fitted (pics)