Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

My New Custom Wheel with Paddle shift

Old 08-18-2011, 08:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: My New Custom Wheel with Paddle shift

latemodel guess who!!! well put me at the top of the list that we talked about on the other forums. i spend all my time here! ill be the test car. if you build them they will buy them!!

Old 08-19-2011, 08:40 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Count me in!

Old 08-19-2011, 12:54 PM
Forum Regular
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

here are a few pics I just took of how nicely the paddles fit with a stock slk32 wheel ... I am guessing that the fit would be similar with a crossfire wheel.

Chris

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
0819110945.jpg (34.8 KB, 123 views)
0819110946.jpg (37.4 KB, 106 views)
0819110946a.jpg (34.9 KB, 102 views)
0819110946b.jpg (40.1 KB, 94 views)
Old 08-19-2011, 04:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow that fit looks great.

Old 08-19-2011, 04:51 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a great mod - couple of questions:

Is it right for down, left for up? I am assuming that shift speed is the same as using the + & - on the shifter, correct?

Old 08-19-2011, 05:08 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SRT6_Roadster
This is a great mod - couple of questions:

Is it right for down, left for up? I am assuming that shift speed is the same as using the + & - on the shifter, correct?
No, yes

long answer ... no, right is up left is down ( which is the same as the floor shifter and conveniently cast into the face of the paddles)

and Yes, it is the same speed as the shifter, there is no delay

Chris

Last edited by latemodel21; 08-19-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:04 PM

I am also interested. Sending a PM.

Old 08-20-2011, 06:36 PM

Please count me in...Thanks for sharing the knowledge and your talent!

Craig

Old 08-20-2011, 09:45 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Count me in. I really need this in my car. Sometmes my car can be a real handful and I need to keep both hand on the wheel.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by Bigkid
I am also very interested.
Jim If your car gets any faster you will need one more control near the steering wheel to deploy a chute to slow it up!!!

Old 08-21-2011, 10:44 AM
Forum Regular

I too am interested in this mod.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:49 AM

I'm definitely in as well!! Awesome mod...

Old 08-23-2011, 12:43 PM

Very nice i need to get a new steerimg wheel since my old one is falling apart

Old 08-25-2011, 02:00 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MMZ_TimeLord
For that size of a module, there is plenty of room behind where the stereo and toggle switches are located unless you've already filled it up with a different head unit and extra harness wires.

Pricing sounds about right to me. I've built quite a few "projects" in my day and they are quite labor intensive.

Excellent project and results... I look forward to the pictures of the E55.

MMZ_TimeLord, are you thinking about adding the paddles to your wheel anytime soon? I would really like a chance to see first-hand that the crossfire and slk32 wheels are similar both in their construction and relative proximity to the collum mounted levers. My office is reasonably close by in santa clara.
Chris

Old 08-25-2011, 04:13 AM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by latemodel21
MMZ_TimeLord, are you thinking about adding the paddles to your wheel anytime soon? I would really like a chance to see first-hand that the crossfire and slk32 wheels are similar both in their construction and relative proximity to the collum mounted levers. My office is reasonably close by in santa clara.
Chris
I have no budget for that project right now. It does look VERY nice and fits the car perfectly.

Eventually I may tackle it. If you want to look at my steering wheel, I can remove it for examination and measurement. (I have machinist calipers)

Let me know. (email is preferred, don't want to clutter the thread any further... )

Old 08-25-2011, 06:27 PM

chris i have access to a xfire wheel if you need it to measure.
mmztimelord clutter away thats what this thread is for info!!

chris let me know where and how much to send you for the kit. give me all the bells and whistles

Old 08-25-2011, 08:18 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by 32krazy!

chris let me know where and how much to send you for the kit. give me all the bells and whistles
Same for me! This will make for a great upgrade.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:13 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by 32krazy!

Hey Steve, I enjoyed the ONE THOUSAND AND SIXTY FIVE posts in the wavetrak thread, however, for someone down the road who just wants to find out about the wavetrak (and perhaps learn only just a LITTLE bit about the trials and tribulations of those 20 brave souls who waited a year for their state of art limited slips so that someday they would be available to the rest of us ), that thread could be viewed as a little CLUTTERED.

perhaps there needs to be a balance .... if mmztimelord is willing to stick his neck out then I say "bravo"

oops, I guess I'm the one cluttering this thread up now

on the topic of the crossfire wheel you have access to, I appreciate the offer; however, I would like to see this on the car in order to check how the paddles will be placed as I would like to supply a template for modifying the wheel. This will require [me] seeing the relative position of the wheel to the levers. Along with a quick look behind the airbag to make sure that both the steering wheel reinforcement structure is and the switch interface will be the same for the crossfire and the slk32 (I am trying to keep this part of the kit completely plug-n-play, so making it fit both keeps the cost down (ie, closer to my target).

in so far as "all the bells and whistles" I am still going to make this available as both MODULE ONLY (for those who want to waste 20 hours of their own time to integrate this set-up) and ... COMPLETE KIT. The complete kit will include the module (connectorized) with 3 harnesses and hopefully a useful template for wheel modification. The 3 harness will be connectorized as well; one for the shifter, one goes up to the K40 module (and includes an inline fuse), and one is the interface between the horn and the paddle switches in the steering wheel (similar in function to the Mercedes switch module used in factory paddle shift cars) .

The timeline is soon. Perhaps within 2 weeks. The only hold ups at this point are finding or creating a decent how-to on the floor shifter signal tapping (which i may do this weekend) and getting a good close look at a crossfire (Up till now, I've only caught quick glimpses of them and then, right away, they are in my rearview mirror getting smaller ) (sorry guys, couldn't resist)

Chris

Last edited by latemodel21; 08-26-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:03 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by latemodel21
Hey Steve, I enjoyed the ONE THOUSAND AND SIXTY FIVE posts in the wavetrak thread, however, for someone down the road who just wants to find out about the wavetrak (and perhaps learn only just a LITTLE bit about the trials and tribulations of those 20 brave souls who waited a year for their state of art limited slips so that someday they would be available to the rest of us ), that thread could be viewed as a little CLUTTERED.

perhaps there needs to be a balance .... if mmztimelord is willing to stick his neck out then I say "bravo"

oops, I guess I'm the one cluttering this thread up now

on the topic of the crossfire wheel you have access to, I appreciate the offer; however, I would like to see this on the car in order to check how the paddles will be placed as I would like to supply a template for modifying the wheel. This will require [me] seeing the relative position of the wheel to the levers. Along with a quick look behind the airbag to make sure that both the steering wheel reinforcement structure is and the switch interface will be the same for the crossfire and the slk32 (I am trying to keep this part of the kit completely plug-n-play, so making it fit both keeps the cost down (ie, closer to my target).

in so far as "all the bells and whistles" I am still going to make this available as both MODULE ONLY (for those who want to waste 20 hours of their own time to integrate this set-up) and ... COMPLETE KIT. The complete kit will include the module (connectorized) with 3 harnesses and hopefully a useful template for wheel modification. The 3 harness will be connectorized as well; one for the shifter, one goes up to the K40 module (and includes an inline fuse), and one is the interface between the horn and the paddle switches in the steering wheel (similar in function to the Mercedes switch module used in factory paddle shift cars) .

The timeline is soon. Perhaps within 2 weeks. The only hold ups at this point are finding or creating a decent how-to on the floor shifter signal tapping (which i may do this weekend) and getting a good close look at a crossfire (Up till now, I've only caught quick glimpses of them and then, right away, they are in my rearview mirror getting smaller ) (sorry guys, couldn't resist)

Chris
I have to pull my shift assemble to change the LED colors anyway, I'll make sure and take some good pictures and see if I can isolate the solder points for shift up and down.

I'd be happy to have you over to look at my wheel off the car. It's not too much work to pull it after all.

Just let me know.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:14 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I also have an extra Crossfire steering wheel that I wouldnt mind being cut up for R&D

Quick Reply: My New Custom Wheel with Paddle shift