Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

My dipped & dropped SRT-6

Old 07-17-2014, 02:27 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default My dipped & dropped SRT-6

Hey everyone! My girlfriend and I recently visted National Harbor to go on the newly build Capital Wheel. It was great! Anywho, we ended up getting a primo parking space and she happened to have her camera handy so I could pass up the opportunity to have her take a few pictures of my car while we were there. Outside of my intro thread I haven't really shared too many pictures of my car on here so I figured i'd go ahead and throw these up. The dip needs to be touched up in a few areas but it'll likely be coming off soon to make way for a new paintjob. Additional details about my car can be located in my signature.

Enjoy!

007a_zps883462bb.jpg
005a_zpsac57df28.jpg
003a_zps8a0e6000.jpg
004a_zps16dca443.jpg
001a_zps281722e0.jpg

Old 07-17-2014, 02:48 PM
Received 538 Likes on 454 Posts
Default Re: My dipped & dropped SRT-6

Originally Posted by HOT FIYA
Hey everyone! My girlfriend and I recently visted National Harbor to go on the newly build Capital Wheel. It was great! Anywho, we ended up getting a primo parking space and she happened to have her camera handy so I could pass up the opportunity to have her take a few pictures of my car while we were there. Outside of my intro thread I haven't really shared too many pictures of my car on here so I figured i'd go ahead and throw these up. The dip needs to be touched up in a few areas but it'll likely be coming off soon to make way for a new paintjob. Additional details about my car can be located in my signature.

Enjoy!

Nice color it really makes the car stick out in the crowd.
Here is a tip. download Picasa or one of the other free photo editing programs. It can make a world of difference. I did not touch the color to make it like it should be, I just did simple changes.
Once again great color job, will the respray be the same?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
001a_zps281722e0.jpg (252.1 KB, 624 views)
Old 07-17-2014, 03:03 PM
cmz
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the color. I have seen black and a lime green dip. The lime green is hideous And the black is just a flat color that doesn't reflect any light, so you can't see any of the body lines. Like the wheels too.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great!!

Old 07-17-2014, 03:22 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like that color green. Nice job and love the europlate.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:42 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Nice color it really makes the car stick out in the crowd.
Here is a tip. download Picasa or one of the other free photo editing programs. It can make a world of difference. I did not touch the color to make it like it should be, I just did simple changes.
Once again great color job, will the respray be the same?
Thanks. I didn't do the photo editing, my girlfriend did, so you'll have to take the up wit her! lol

I am planning to have the car resprayed Obsidian Black Metallic (OEM Mercedes Benz color). SLK's were actually offered in the color. The dip was never meant to be permanant. It was just something I did for fun to hold me over until I could swing for a full tilt paintjob.

Originally Posted by cmz
I like the color. I have seen black and a lime green dip. The lime green is hideous And the black is just a flat color that doesn't reflect any light, so you can't see any of the body lines. Like the wheels too.
Those are just "off the shelf" dip colors. Nowadays pretty much any color one can think of can be mixed up and there are alot of professional dippers out there that'll whip up just about anything zany idea you ask for. I told the shop that dipped my car that I wanted somewhat of an "Aston Martin Racing Green" color and this is what they came up with.

Originally Posted by acrispy1
Looks great!!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by autumnmass
I really like that color green. Nice job and love the europlate.
Funny thing about the Europlate.....if you look at the picture from the front there are two young girls walking up, and after that picture was taken they did a photo-op in front of my car not knowing it was my car. They thought that my girlfriend and I were just taking a picture of the car/Europlate too......LOL.

Old 07-17-2014, 04:43 PM
Forum Regular

I think it looks awesome. What's the ballpark cost to have a good dip job done? Has it held up well?

Old 07-17-2014, 05:36 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meh03
I think it looks awesome. What's the ballpark cost to have a good dip job done? Has it held up well?
Thanks. To have an entire car dipped by a shop it usually runs about $400-$800 depending on the size of the vehicle and whether or not you are using dip pearls, chameleon colors, etc etc. My dip has two colors of pearl in it so it ran me $700. But if I had gone with says just a basic/non-pearl color it probably would have run me about $500. It's held up well EXCEPT in the areas that it has began to peel away. But it's only peeling away because the surface of the car was not prepped correctly. I had the car detailed about a month prior to having the car dipped (I know, i'm retarded) and I failed to mention that to the shop. Then again, they failed to ask me when the car had last been waxed/detailed. If they had prepped it properly i'm sure that it would be holding up much better. The dip has a few trouble spots here and then, mostly evident on the front bumper by the passenger side foglight and the passenger door underneath the door handle.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:41 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Love the dropped look and ground effects.
Is the front ground effect available anywhere or was it custom made?

Old 07-18-2014, 01:45 AM
Forum Regular

Looks awesome!

Old 07-18-2014, 09:24 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can't start the thread with "My girlfriend and I..." and have the plate 4EverAlone.. just FYI haha

I've started noticing those wheels on a bunch of different cars these days.. lots of VWs... hit or miss on a lot of cars but they definitely look like a sold and unique choice on the Crossfire

Old 07-18-2014, 10:11 AM
Forum Regular

Wheels are a NICE touch!

Old 07-18-2014, 12:39 PM
Forum Regular

i guess I'm just stupid, but what exactly is a 'dip'. Does that mean the car was dipped in paint? if so, how much does the prep cost to remove the body?

sorry, in advance if this is a stupid question.....

Old 07-18-2014, 12:46 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by m3pig
i guess I'm just stupid, but what exactly is a 'dip'. Does that mean the car was dipped in paint? if so, how much does the prep cost to remove the body?

https://www.dipyourcar.com/Videos-and-Guides.html

Old 07-21-2014, 02:26 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by m3pig

I think S. Artee nipped it in the bud with his answer....lol. Basically anything and everything you'd ever want to know about dipping a car can be found on dipyourcar.com

Originally Posted by rayth
You can't start the thread with "My girlfriend and I..." and have the plate 4EverAlone.. just FYI haha

I've started noticing those wheels on a bunch of different cars these days.. lots of VWs... hit or miss on a lot of cars but they definitely look like a sold and unique choice on the Crossfire
They've been popular on VW's for quite some time now and I have seen them growing more popular in a number of car communities on Instagram and the interwebz. Subaru guys have started whoring them out recently. To my knowledge I am the only Crossfire running them and i'd love to keep it that way. That's why I ignore all the PM's I get asking me what size spacers I am running and stuff....lol. I can't give out ALL my secrets! But to achieve the fitment I have it took alot of trial and error with spacer sizes and a good bit of fender work.

As for the Europlate.....it's really more of an ongoing join between my friends and I. But to be fair, I have been single for years up until recently. I got the plate prior to meeting my girlfriend. She's ok with me leaving it on because she cracks up at how many people she has seen doing "photo-op's" with my car in random parking lots when we are out and about.

Originally Posted by Dementors
Looks awesome!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by revny1964
Love the dropped look and ground effects.
Is the front ground effect available anywhere or was it custom made?
Grounf effects? Are we in the 90's again? Lol I kid I kid....just haven't heard the term "ground effects" in years. I refer to them as splitters (front splitter & side splitters). They were custom made for me by a shop that specializes in custom fabrication.

Originally Posted by S. Artee
Wheels are a NICE touch!
Thanks!

Old 07-21-2014, 05:36 PM

I love how aggressive it looks from the front. Any pictures of the rear?

Old 07-22-2014, 03:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice look.....beautiful car.....

Old 07-24-2014, 07:44 PM
Forum Regular
Old 07-24-2014, 08:33 PM
Received 523 Likes on 416 Posts

Car continues to look amazing! I followed your original thread on the work you did to get to this point. The M-B black will look great too, but this dip job made your XFire "one-of-a-kind".

Later,

Old 07-24-2014, 08:45 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't know what it rides like but it's killing it sitting still. Velociabstract approved!

Les

Quick Reply: My dipped & dropped SRT-6