Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

XFire Limited Upgrade to SRT-6

Old 01-24-2015, 05:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XFire Limited Upgrade to SRT-6

Hello everyone,

Long time forum member but haven't really been vocal since now. I'm getting ready to upgrade to an SRT-6 roadster and had some questions maybe some of the guru's in this forum can help me with. What are some things to look for when purchasing an SRT-6? The vin hasn't yet been registered and driver claims to have kept it garaged for the last year and only driven 300 miles.

Also regarding the SC on the 6, are there any inherent design flaws to look out for? Curious as I see most members upgrade or modify the SC Pulley.

Thanks in advance for your input.

-Jr.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:53 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Re: XFire Limited Upgrade to SRT-6

Originally Posted by jrhsu
Hello everyone,

Long time forum member but haven't really been vocal since now. I'm getting ready to upgrade to an SRT-6 roadster and had some questions maybe some of the guru's in this forum can help me with. What are some things to look for when purchasing an SRT-6? The vin hasn't yet been registered and driver claims to have kept it garaged for the last year and only driven 300 miles.

Also regarding the SC on the 6, are there any inherent design flaws to look out for? Curious as I see most members upgrade or modify the SC Pulley.

-Jr.
I think you can take it that the original SC pulley on the SRT is more reliable than the after market ones. Someone who has spent $650 or so on an after market one may want to dispute this though, just because .......

Old 01-24-2015, 10:28 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello everyone,

-Jr.

Well, obviously that's the rare 6. Go over it thoroughly. Plan on doing the usual fixes (minor and some happen later than others). Limited's are great cars, (I came close to buying a limited roadster in a beautiful color combination back in the late 2000's when you could still buy them NOS at your local Chrysler dealer) but...the 6 is something completely different. I made the mistake of touting the 6's blatant performance superiority here and ruffled some sensitive Limited feathers back then. Many of them thought "prettifying"...is that a word?, lol, their Limiteds would somehow make them bada** cool. Whatever, that's when I stopped posting regularly. Well, many are gone, moved onto something else, some I haven't seen around here in years. Me? I've still got my 6's, love them as much as I ever did, still get stranger's questions (people can't believe they're 10 years old now), still get admiring stares, and...always, yes, unlike those ruffled some, nfs. I guess that's going to make me a 6 lifer. Upgrades? as you know there are many, but personally I love mine stock.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:14 PM
Received 506 Likes on 350 Posts

Unless you are racing don't modify the pulley. Also unless you are racing, don't worry about a CAI.

Other than cosmetic and common problems like the heater relay, and soldering the relay circuit board etc you don't have to do anything to your SRT-6

Look for bad intercooler pump and be sure to get the engine really warm before you give it a rigorous test run. If the SC kicks in and out like it is supposed to and the tranny is crisp, not much else to checkout.

The power plant is the only real difference between the NA and the SRT6. Somewhat stiffer suspension but the majority of the routine problems with the SRT are no different than it's little underpowered sister.

Given the price they go for, I say jump in. The SRT is so kewel and so special, they are worth fixing.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher

Look for bad intercooler pump and be sure to get the engine really warm before you give it a rigorous test run. If the SC kicks in and out like it is supposed to and the tranny is crisp, not much else to checkout.
What is a good method of checking for a bad intercooler pump? Forgive the question, I'm not much of a mechanic.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:54 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The power plant is the only real difference between the NA and the SRT6. Somewhat stiffer suspension but the majority of the routine problems with the SRT are no different than it's little underpowered sister.

The brakes are considerably larger also, you need them to haul it down from the increased speed capability. You will enjoy it, I say go for it!

Old 01-25-2015, 02:03 AM

Guys, I'm thinking about purchasing a black Srt-6 2005 with 36,000 miles on it for 14,995 is that a good price or should I haggle.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:00 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Roz70
Guys, I'm thinking about purchasing a black Srt-6 2005 with 36,000 miles on it for 14,995 is that a good price or should I haggle.
You have to haggle no matter what the price, it's a matter of principle. If the car is in excellent condition then that price is OK, and better with a warranty from a reliable dealer - if there are any.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:54 PM
Forum Regular

What is a good method of checking for a bad intercooler pump? Forgive the question, I'm not much of a mechanic.
if it drives like your NA, then the IC is bad... sorry, couldn't help myself.

Good Luck,

Old 01-28-2015, 10:55 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Roz70
coupe or roadster? roadsters do fetch a premium, although it may go down in the winter.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:05 AM

I didn't purchase the black coupe srt-6, but purchased a SSB coupe srt-6 with 70,000 for 11,000 in real god shape with new brakes and tires.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:35 PM

Hi guys,
Just reading about your considerate for an Srt 6. I've got a black one with only 37000 miles on it Im going to sell myself. I found one in blue with only 15000 miles and I paid the same for both. 1499.00. I registered the Black on today so if anyone is interested. Just let me know. I already did the usual... fuel filter, K&N air filters, 0/40 Mobile one and mann filter, steering damper(shock), and I'm having every little bit of it done at the body shop so it will be perfect. It only needed another badge in the rear Srt 6, and the roof thin strips needed repainting to make it perfect. No scratches, nothing... simply two small holes in the front bumper where the license plate was... hate those but hey... some people have those kind of states where they have to have license plate I guess.....

I'll probably put it on ebay when I get the Title back since I registered it today. perfect inside, no trash or dirt on seats... very nice car. Just don't need two...

Richard