Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Mods complete after this coming tuesday-what else?

Old 07-25-2015, 06:41 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mods complete after this coming tuesday-what else?

This Tuesday I am having the 178mm crank pulley and PSK installed with a 70mm SC pulley. A PLX wideband O2 sensor/gauge will also be installed with an SL55 fuel pump/filter and Rob's adjustable fuel pressure regulator. The AFR goal is 12.0:1.

So far I have Rob's DCAI which I will insulate for peace of mind. Plugs and wires have been replaced along with fresh oil. It has the radiator/heat exchanger separation kit. The 65mm SC pulley will be replaced with a 70mm pulley for a stacked set-up of 178/70 which should bring the SC Rpm's right around the limit of 15,000rpm. Stock injectors will be used.

The motor has 79k miles on it and the vehicle is an '02 SLK32 AMG.

Suggestions for further mods? By the way I plan on the ported lower "Y" and "tweaked intakes". After those I think that is it.

I have a pair of PYPES high flow cats from my Cobra motor. I had thought of replacing the front cats with them, changing the h-pipe to an x-pipe, deleting the resonator and changing the stock muffler to a Borla Pro XS. The Borla's are loud but they do not drone. The x-pipe would quiet them some. Unfortunatly I don't think this extensive exhaust work would add 15whp as the Mercedes engineers seem to have done a very good job.

Anything else that offers a decent return on the investment for added torque or should I start the cosmetics? On EBAY a company offers stock wheels, chromed, for $747, shipped with a $1200. deposit. My stock Mercedes wheels are fine and should command the full deposit refunded. I have an SLK32.

Before I go the cosmetic route I want to exhaust the added torque mods. Suggestions please? Mark

PS: my tune is a E/C from Jerry. it is possible there is 15whp to be had with a different tuner but who?
The killer chiller would be difficult due to space restrictions of the SLK compared to the Crossfire but still possible, cooling tunes are always responded to very well by the motor. being in southern Florida I thought a cooler T-stat might help for the summer but does anyone know what auto store sells a 160 or 180* STAT?
I am looking for spare hood if anyone knows of one please let me know if reasonably priced, I have an idea for allowing the hot underhood heat out to some extent. Thanks, mark

Old 07-26-2015, 04:04 PM
Default re: Mods complete after this coming tuesday-what else?

Where did you purchase your 70mm SC pulley? I was considering finding/purchasing a used one, and utilizing my lathe to machine between centers down to a 69-70mm diameter.

Keith

Last edited by Power Sedan; 07-26-2015 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:05 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: Mods complete after this coming tuesday-what else?

Mark, you might look at my hood on the gallery to see what worked for me. Its VA dot compliant too, sorta stealthy from front. Woody

Old 07-27-2015, 03:26 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Moda complete after thismcoming tuesday-what else?

Originally Posted by Power Sedan
Where did you purchase your 70mm SC pulley? I was considering finding/purchasing a used one, and utilizing my lathe to machine between centers down to a 69-70mm diameter.

Keith
Carrs machine shop in Pa. Cost $90. shipped back. The address is in a thread titled turning the stock pulley. I'll get the addy for you in a bit as I have an errand to run. Mark

Old 07-27-2015, 05:41 PM
Forum Regular
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Re: Mods complete after this coming tuesday-what else?

I would suggest cooling mods like a bigger heat exchanger, but I saw you have an SLK, so I dont know if the super cooler will work on your car.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:28 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by philosophico
I would suggest cooling mods like a bigger heat exchanger, but I saw you have an SLK, so I dont know if the super cooler will work on your car.
You are so right. Cooling mods mean so much but the SLK limits me to .............nothing so far that is a bolt in. The work got delayed, today is the day and of course rain is forecast. They did have t move the var out of the shop and into the lot and the mechanic said it spun the tires with what he thought was his normal amount of throttle. I hope that is a harbinger of things to come.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:59 AM
Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

I spoke with the mechanic yesterday when he was looking for the regulator install instructions. he is all set now and he said the pulleys were already installed and the regulator was all that was left at that point.

as for the thermostat. as explained in earlier emails. the car modulates its engine temp through the fan, by installing a lower temp stat the car just doesn't turn on the fan as often and thus you still get the same temperature.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:29 AM
Forum Regular

Looking forward to it. Too bad today is a wash out so no testing the AFR.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:13 PM
Forum Regular

Even though the instructions were in color and the pulleys numbered the "tech" managed to add a pulley. This chewed up the belt within 5 miles of driving. My check engine for the radiator came on while driving the mile to my place. I had just added coolant a couple of days ago. Popped the hood. The fan was not plugged in, likely due to the mechanics dirty hands, grease all over where he had worked. Then I see the extra pulley. So I leave the car to give them a cold car to work on. Tomorrow I can start adjusting the AFR as it got rich as the revs went up.

Here is Carr's address:

Tim Carr
c/o Car'rs Machine
332 Dahl Road
Bloomsburg, Pa.

I hope to have it dialed in by the weekend. mark

Last edited by Sweet2002; 07-31-2015 at 12:49 PM.