Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Coolant Flush Question

Old 07-25-2015, 02:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Coolant Flush Question

I plan on using the method Onehunred80 used below but wanted to know do I leave the valves on the NW Intercooler Fluid Isolation Kit open or close while doing the flush ??

"I changed the coolant in my car and not wishing to go through a lengthy and messy flush I decided to drain the antifreeze and flush twice with distilled water.

What I wanted to do was have the least possible amount of coolant to take to the hazardous waste disposal site. I did not want any to be flushed into the sewers by draining it on the driveway, this is illegal around here.

Using the quantity of coolant removed each time I calculated the amount of original coolant left in the system and used this to determine the amount that required to be added to reach the 50/50 mix specified. I marked buckets with graduations in liters.

Two gallons of Zerex G-05 concentrate, 6" of 3/8" ID hose and a wide screwdriver for the draincock. You cannot say drain **** as separate words. Is this discrimination against male birds?

Your challenge is to mathematically calculate the amount of coolant to be added at the end of the process and I will check my own figure. Easy eh?

The SRT6 is said to have a coolant capacity of 14.5 liters.

1, I managed to get 9.5 liters out the first time.

2, I filled with 8 liters of distilled water and ran her up to temperature, with hot water going to the IC and heater systems. Then I managed to drain 8 liters.

3, I filled again with 8 liters, repeated the heating cycle and re drained 8 liters.

4, I filled with my calculated antifreeze amount and topped it up with distilled water. I then took it for a long drive,left it to cool down and topped it up again with about a liter or so of water. I think I will have to top it up again with about another 1/2 liter after another drive. It seems to take a while to balance out and that amount will bring me up to the amount I removed the first time. The coolant in the tank is now clear green, the blue dye in the OEM coolant tinting the very light yellow of the Zerex. You can now easily see the bottom of the tank through the coolant.

Your task if you decide to take the challenge is to calculate how much new antifreeze is to be added to make a 50/50 mix in the system. Your computer will not self destruct after you have read this as in Mission Impossible.

I was surprised at how much was trapped in the system, I wonder how much would have come out if I could have found a block drain.

The simple method would have been to drain, flush and then add 7.25 liters, but as I always say how hard can it be to do it exactly. LOL"

Last edited by Ralph289; 07-25-2015 at 02:51 PM.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:03 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Re: Coolant Flush Question

Originally Posted by Ralph289
I plan on using the method Onehunred80 used below but wanted to know do I leave the valves on the NW Intercooler Fluid Isolation Kit open or close while doing the flush ??
Open those valves. I also put low pressure air through the IC and the main coolant system, this did blow out some extra fluid that did not want to come out under the force of gravity.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Open those valves. I also put low pressure air through the IC and the main coolant system, this did blow out some extra fluid that did not want to come out under the force of gravity.
Thanks, that was what I was thinking but wanted to be sure.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:58 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: Coolant Flush Question

Even an entirely safe way is to use a vacuum cleaners EXHAUST to blow the water thru. If you have a wet vac you can really void the system by sucking it out.

Me I dont care about the mixture as long as its about 50% or more to retard CORROSION. Its easy to do, get a antifreeze tester and check the mixture. IF your low, drain out some and add 100% antifreeze to bring up the precentage to your desired level. Save that amount drained as spare for refills. EZZY PEEZIE.

Enjoy WDY

Old 07-26-2015, 12:52 PM

Picked the wrong time of year to do this !!! Got 2 flushes done but man this driving with the heat on BLAST is killing me !!! About 90 degrees out even without the heater on Cooling of in the AC for a while

The following users liked this post:
×Crossfire1× (03-13-2023)