Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Ignition switch ?

Old 09-24-2015, 02:59 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ignition switch ?

Key will not trun the ignition witch it started 2 days a go when I took out my key from Ignition switch it would ding like my head lights where still on so l had to put the key back in and move it on to off again and then it was fine ... Now I just got in my car and key will not move in any way and I'm about 80 miles from home is there any thing I can do out here to get the car home and than anyone have a idea how to fix????

Old 09-24-2015, 03:21 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Ignition switch ?

Originally Posted by fastfred
Key will not trun the ignition witch it started 2 days a go when I took out my key from Ignition switch it would ding like my head lights where still on so l had to put the key back in and move it on to off again and then it was fine ... Now I just got in my car and key will not move in any way and I'm about 80 miles from home is there any thing I can do out here to get the car home and than anyone have a idea how to fix????
Search on "Sticky Key" There are many threads about it. Personally I don't have the issue (yet). Try to keep jiggling the steering wheel while trying the key.

Old 09-24-2015, 04:35 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pioneer4x4
Search on "Sticky Key" There are many threads about it. Personally I don't have the issue (yet). Try to keep jiggling the steering wheel while trying the key.
Thank you yes I have tried re-setting battery and moving the steering wheel and the key will NOT turn even a little bit it's stuck in the off position ....

Old 09-24-2015, 05:58 PM
Received 540 Likes on 456 Posts

Thank you yes I have tried re-setting battery and moving the steering wheel and the key will NOT turn even a little bit it's stuck in the off position ....
Jiggle the key. If that does not work then you may have to fix it on the spot. Not many tools needed.
Read this set of instructions to fix the problem. CLICK

Last edited by onehundred80; 09-24-2015 at 10:32 PM. Reason: modified to go directly to the fix PDF.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:46 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by pioneer4x4
You gotta dodamod!

Old 09-24-2015, 10:05 PM
Forum Regular

Thank you for your input so far and I have read a few DIYs and my problems being it will not turn at all and most of the Fixs I have read so far you have to turn key to 1st position ... Anyone... how can I fix it with out turning the key??? I'm out here with my dash all on the floor ....THANK YOU!!

Old 09-24-2015, 10:13 PM
Administrator
Received 883 Likes on 688 Posts

If you can't turn the key at all, you have got to drill the pin out. Not fun.

We preach and preach at people: Fix this before you have an issue! Now, when mine locked up, I had the car towed home and by the time I got it home, it turned. IF you get it to turn, DO NOT REMOVE THE KEY UNTIL YOU FIX IT. Removing the key is what sends the cam into place and that is where it locks up.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:13 PM

Thank you for your input so far and I have read a few DIYs and my problems being it will not turn at all and most of the Fixs I have read so far you have to turn key to 1st position ... Anyone... how can I fix it with out turning the key??? I'm out here with my dash all on the floor ....THANK YOU!!
Thats why when it's stuck you have to drill out the retaining pin to remove the assembly from the car.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:27 PM
Administrator
Received 883 Likes on 688 Posts

When you gonna pre-emptively fix yours, Klay?

Old 09-24-2015, 10:29 PM

Did you read the repair method where my post says CLICK?
It tells you what to do if the key does not turn.
You have to read the posts properly to get answers.

Old 09-24-2015, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
When you gonna pre-emptively fix yours, Klay?
First mod I did!

and I'm hoping to help a friend do his before too long. The hours at the ice cream shop are tapering off so he should have time.

Old 09-25-2015, 08:42 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I have to wonder.. is the "stuck" key really stuck. I loaned my daughter my coupe. It's had sticky key for four years now. She was shown the "magic flip" that works just fine with it. (I would compare it to snapping your finger). She spent an hour one morning before calling me.. "is the steering wheel lock holding it".. She went out to try again and 2 minutes later was on the road - with no issues the rest of the week she had it.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
I have to wonder.. is the "stuck" key really stuck. I loaned my daughter my coupe. It's had sticky key for four years now. She was shown the "magic flip" that works just fine with it. (I would compare it to snapping your finger). She spent an hour one morning before calling me.. "is the steering wheel lock holding it".. She went out to try again and 2 minutes later was on the road - with no issues the rest of the week she had it.
Agreed, I have discerned there are posts where the tension on the steering wheel is the culprit AND there are posts where the mechanism is really locked up.

And PS: thats why remote internet troubleshooting can be difficult.......

Old 09-25-2015, 11:12 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by KDW4Him
Agreed, I have discerned there are posts where the tension on the steering wheel is the culprit AND there are posts where the mechanism is really locked up.

And PS: thats why remote internet troubleshooting can be difficult.......
I say this too as anyone who didn't know about my "finger snap key" would swear it was locked up on my car. You can't just insert and turn as you can on our roadsters.

Old 09-26-2015, 02:00 AM
Forum Regular

I'd my car towed home with some extra work with my steering weel locked and trans stuck in park anyway today I took the dash apart and on Saturday I'm going to drill out that little silver pin .. I'm not sure what that will do. And I'm keeping my old ignition and I'm not sure what I have to do to it??? The DIY says to take it out ...also just wanted to say the tow truck driver tried everything he could to get it unlocked and no deal ....so it's not sticky it's locked up....

Last edited by fastfred; 09-26-2015 at 02:20 AM.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:37 AM

I'd my car towed home with some extra work with my steering weel locked and trans stuck in park anyway today I took the dash apart and on Saturday I'm going to drill out that little silver pin .. I'm not sure what that will do. And I'm keeping my old ignition and I'm not sure what I have to do to it??? The DIY says to take it out ...also just wanted to say the tow truck driver tried everything he could to get it unlocked and no deal ....so it's not sticky it's locked up....
The transmission can have the shifter moved out of park by poking a screwdriver or something similar down the back of the shifter slot. It is advisable to read the Owners Manual sometimes.
The How To explains how to get the locked key out, read it again.

Last edited by onehundred80; 09-26-2015 at 08:39 AM.
Old 09-26-2015, 01:45 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by onehundred80
The transmission can have the shifter moved out of park by poking a screwdriver or something similar down the back of the shifter slot. It is advisable to read the Owners Manual sometimes.
The How To explains how to get the locked key out, read it again.
As l think I told you a few years back I have had a stroke and I can read something and 2 mins later I don't even know what I have read I have major memory loss .... Sorry but I'm past that part of my break down and on the repair part, but yes I will re-read the Book and just like now will not know what I have read .... But Thank you for your input...

Old 09-26-2015, 04:59 PM
Forum Regular

I have been drilling on this pin on the shaft by the clamp for over an hour now and not getting munch but a mess where the drill keeps falling off the pin head .. Pleas any input thank you ...

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
image.jpeg (1.05 MB, 70 views)
Old 09-26-2015, 07:43 PM

I have been drilling on this pin on the shaft by the clamp for over an hour now and not getting munch but a mess where the drill keeps falling off the pin head .. Pleas any input thank you ...
Use a Dremel and cut it down with a burr, drilling is a pain.

Old 09-26-2015, 09:01 PM
Forum Regular

Thank you but I can't afford a dermal in the DIY he says you can use a drill and ,I'm on a fixed income so anyway I have been drilling on this pin for about 3 hours and not munch has been done other than its making a mess out of the area around the pin ... It's my understanding that I have to drill or dermal it out as my key will not go in the 1st position so I can get the ingition out to open it up to take another pin and spring out of it and than my key will work???

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
image.jpeg (779.2 KB, 62 views)

Quick Reply: Ignition switch ?