Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Best sounding exhaust for our engines

Old 05-20-2016, 09:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best sounding exhaust for our engines

This guy's c32 sounds incredible, almost like a v8. Has anybody come close to creating an exhaust setup that sounds similar to this? Most of the clips that I've found on youtube of srt6 exhaust setups don't sound that great tbh. If I could replicate a setup that sounds like his, I think the modification would be worth it. Just don't want to end up with some tacky, v6 mustang sounding crap.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Best sounding exhaust for our engines

Originally Posted by bbsrt6
C32 AMG Custom Dual Exhaust - YouTube

This guy's c32 sounds incredible, almost like a v8. Has anybody come close to creating an exhaust setup that sounds similar to this? Most of the clips that I've found on youtube of srt6 exhaust setups don't sound that great tbh. If I could replicate a setup that sounds like his, I think the modification would be worth it. Just don't want to end up with some tacky, v6 mustang sounding crap.
Sounds like muffler delete or straight piped honestly

Old 05-26-2016, 11:39 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Cat delete, also more piping, larger diameter pipes deeper the tone, smaller pipe higher tone, larger pipe has a rumble with sound bouncing around more in larger pipes.
I have a idea I going to try this year on my exhaust.

Old 05-27-2016, 04:49 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bbsrt6
C32 AMG Custom Dual Exhaust - YouTube

If you read my posts, you will find several about the exhaust that I designed and built for mine. Didn't bother with Utube, that media is useful but not for exhaust. Mine sounds throatier and fuller than the C32!!!!

Old 05-30-2016, 09:31 PM

Jim F., you have any videos of yours?

Old 05-31-2016, 10:51 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Jim F., you have any videos of yours?[/QUOTE]

No but I will be at Carlisle in July.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:39 PM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Here is forum post with a UTube video about a Crossfire with a Ferrari 456 muffler . . .

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post866018

Old 05-31-2016, 07:19 PM

red dog- i've actually seen that thread on that exhaust. it sounds pretty good, but doesn't sound like a v8 like the c32 that i posted does.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:52 AM

I finally had a chancestors to get my exhaust done, was planning on 2nd cats delete and putting muffler to replace them then dual back to a pair of tips. And wanted to get ride of the sharp bend in the pipe from wrapping around the rearend then up into the muffler.
Talking to the shop owner he agreed and said the would be the best place, picked up last night and immediately noticed he put the muffle back in the back
Looked under neath and he didn't do anything we talked about.
He demolished my new $90 tips just cutting them down so much to weld them on the muffler, and welded on on crooked.
I got the magnaflow 11378 instead of borla due to measurements, for exact size as the rear cats for the stainless pipes coming back, to keep, one side is already flanged in front of one cat, he was supposed to flange the other side and have the muffler bolt in there then the dual pipes welded on back and not much of a bend behind differential then to the tips, nice and smooth and when it comes time to do driveshaft work would also unbolt and come off easy and be out of the way.
He got rid of my stainless pipe and put his smaller 2" instead of 2 1/4" from front cats all the way back and chopped up my muffler and tips and sharp pipe bends to get it all cramped behind the reared. And crap welds, really bad.
And also the drone inside is louder than the exhaust outside, with all the long interstate drives and lots of straight hours I have a good radio, and a 2400 watt and a pair of keep my *** awakers (subwoofers) do not compare to this drone, I should be in a spl compitition with just my exhaust, and driving up hill is worst.

I have a 4.5 hr 1 way drive Sunday night to for work then omw home we'd and his is fixing his **** up Thursday.
I couldn't stand it on the 5.4 mile country drive home let alone 9 hrs. The exhaust sounds fine, but I'm cab drone is 1000 times worse.

Old 12-17-2016, 01:22 PM

Magnaflow 11378 with dual d shaped angled and slant cut tips, follow profile of back.
Got but trying to figure out how to post it.

ForumRunner_20161217_122011.png

ForumRunner_20161217_122030.png

ForumRunner_20161217_122059.png

Old 12-17-2016, 02:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where are the hangers ?

Edit: thanks, speedy. I keep looking at those runs in post 10. I was ...stumped

Last edited by Steve Jr; 12-17-2016 at 11:12 PM.
Old 12-17-2016, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Jr
Where are the hangers ?

ForumRunner_20161217_135853.png

ForumRunner_20161217_135922.png

Behind muffler inbetween both tips and in front of differential.

When car goes back in thursday he his putting the muffler where we talked about where the rear cats where at, so there is not the sharp bends around the rearend.

Old 12-17-2016, 08:19 PM

Does removing that sharp bend around the differential like what he was supposed to do the 1st time, help with the drone some since the sound is not deflecting back.

Old 12-18-2016, 12:38 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I went with the Magnaflow Cat-back and replaced the secondary cats with another Magnaflow muffler. True dual like Speedy's, from the headers.

A bit loud, but the kids on campus seem to like it, going by the thumbs-ups I get.

I can see the pictures I uploaded years ago, but they do NOT appear in "My Pics" to the right of the typing field.

Looks the same: SST 2 1/2" pipe, a Two-in, two-out SST MF muffler where the cats were, standard MF tips from the cat-back.

Nice burble on throttle lift and sounds great on acceleration. A bit of drone from the muffler right under my ***.

You may be able to find the pics if you look in the Gallery under my name.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/g/album/4845287

Old 12-18-2016, 01:45 PM

So do you have more drone from the muffler where the cats where?
With the muffler in the back the drone is bad, and can feel vibration from it in the seat, and he used the factory rubber mounting.
He left the pipe like he was supposed to, before when I posted it looked like it was new pipe all the way, but next morning I put it on ramps so I could get a closer look.
The 1138 that I got has 2 1/4 in / out that matches pipe.

Old 12-18-2016, 01:59 PM
Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

i found the best sound on my srt6 and c32 with the cat delete downpipes and the factory catback still in tact. any further mods to the catback made the car drone and become unenjoyable.

Old 12-18-2016, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by NeedsWings
i found the best sound on my srt6 and c32 with the cat delete downpipes and the factory catback still in tact. any further mods to the catback made the car drone and become unenjoyable.
I was trying to put the muffler where the 2nd cats where at and nit have the sharp 90° bends and be more sound dynamic flow.
I got some recording will get some more in a couple days, and after the muffler gets moved up to where the cats where, and get some recordings and see if there is a difference.
I will post video here, youtube or somewhere when I can figure out how, can post pics easy, but not video, I do pretty much everything on phone.
Out the back it does have good sound and with the tips I chose gives a different sound, hard to explain, need to hear.
The sound from the tips might change alittle when the muffler is moved.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:32 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedy4x4
So do you have more drone from the muffler where the cats where?
With the muffler in the back the drone is bad, and can feel vibration from it in the seat, and he used the factory rubber mounting.
He left the pipe like he was supposed to, before when I posted it looked like it was new pipe all the way, but next morning I put it on ramps so I could get a closer look.
The 1138 that I got has 2 1/4 in / out that matches pipe.
And you're right-2.25" pipe.

Yep, the drone increased when I deleted the cats and added a muffler. Makes all the sense in the world, right?

Right @ 2000 RPM. I posted a link to my pictures in the earlier post.

Old 12-19-2016, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by maxcichon

And you're right-2.25" pipe.

Yep, the drone increased when I deleted the cats and added a muffler. Makes all the sense in the world, right?

Right @ 2000 RPM. I posted a link to my pictures in the earlier post.

I see you have 2 cross straps going to another bracket under you muffler, mine has never had that, what is the point of those cross straps?
Is it just to stiffen up the bumper?

Old 12-19-2016, 01:25 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedy4x4
I see you have 2 cross straps going to another bracket under you muffler, mine has never had that, what is the point of those cross straps?
Is it just to stiffen up the bumper?
Those are on the roadsters only from the factory to add some additional body stiffness due to having no fixed roof.

Quick Reply: Best sounding exhaust for our engines