Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Lack of Interest

Old 07-28-2016, 10:38 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Lack of Interest

[SIZE="2"][/SI.ZE]
I was a bit dismayed at Carlisle this year. When I "rumbled" in sounding like a big V8, only one person noticed the distinctly unstock exhaust and he wasn't a Crossfire owner. Not one person was interested in my exhaust and no one asked why I do not have a catch can. Obviously, no one really looked at my car, maybe not at any others either. The winners were eerily similar to the list from the last ? years. It seems that there was not much interest in performance in the SRT6 class. In fact, not one person even mentioned one of the myriad of modifications that I've made in the name of performance, or for that matter the cosmetic mods, like my handmade grill. In fact, there is not one thing on the car that has not been changed or modified. I did not vote since I could not get around to the cars due to my stroke. But there was noticeable lack of interest in really looking at the cars, it was just a social gathering, very disappointing. I expected too much from the SRT6 crowd.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:44 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 448 Likes on 315 Posts
Default Re: Lack of Interest

At a show such as Carlisle I'm also surprised that your car was not being observed for the mods you have completed especially by the other Crossfire Owners in attendance
Well hopefully you still enjoyed the social aspect of the meet and it wasn't a complete disappointment for you

Old 07-29-2016, 06:54 AM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by JEFASOLD
[SIZE="2"][/SI.ZE]
I was a bit dismayed at Carlisle this year. When I "rumbled" in sounding like a big V8, only one person noticed the distinctly unstock exhaust and he wasn't a Crossfire owner. Not one person was interested in my exhaust and no one asked why I do not have a catch can. Obviously, no one really looked at my car, maybe not at any others either. The winners were eerily similar to the list from the last ? years. It seems that there was not much interest in performance in the SRT6 class. In fact, not one person even mentioned one of the myriad of modifications that I've made in the name of performance, or for that matter the cosmetic mods, like my handmade grill. In fact, there is not one thing on the car that has not been changed or modified. I did not vote since I could not get around to the cars due to my stroke. But there was noticeable lack of interest in really looking at the cars, it was just a social gathering, very disappointing. I expected too much from the SRT6 crowd.
Where the winners CICCI members?.
I heard that this meet was ran by and for the CICCI clique, notice the would 'founders' in the title of the post announcing it. Food and drink paid for by the other members, nice.
I suspect your car could be the best on the field and still come away with no CICCI plaque.
Thanks for the enlightening post.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:15 AM
Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

From my perspective the three awards given are exclusively for CiCCI members. Please read the plaques and the description written there on. I may be wrong, but those awards are recognition by fellow club members given to other club members. They are not given as to the merits of ones car in respect to originality, modifications or any other attribute that may be critiqued. To even be considered for an award one must be a club member. As far as I know any one can join the club; seems pretty straight forward and fair to me.
The saying goes "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" ; As to an exhaust that rumbles, I will walk the other way. I do not care for them and have no interest in how or why it is done. Straight pipes on a dragster makes sense, but loud noise from a street car is unnecessary, and for me unwanted. I do hope for those that have such modification they are happy with the sound, but for many it is not a desirable trait in an automobile. However, at any gathering of Crossfires I would hope that interest in the cars and modifications to them are not only observed, but also discussed and of interest to all.
Without CICCI there wouldn't be an organized Carlisle Crossfire show. I'll continue to support those who have the initiative and leadership to do the work and devote their time to organizing these events. No one can please all the people all the time. Toes do get stepped on; that's the way of the world we live in. I have been to several of the events sponsored by or supported by CICCI. I and my wife have always had a great time, and met a lot of good people; Most every one comes away with a smile on their face. Thanks to all that put these events together!

Old 07-29-2016, 09:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim, I was going to take the last two days of my vacation and take the 350 mile ride down. With the 90+ degree temps an never had been on a road trip over 100 miles in my Srt, I decided not to go and have been disappointed with my decision since. If I did go, your car would have been the one that I would have been interested in more than others. You convinced me that I made the right decision. There is nothing worse than your time, money and injinuity going unnoticed. I wouldn't take it personally, unfortunatly it happens all the time when a club is involved in a show. I have a Dart GTS that has placed third at the Chrysler Nationals, took it to a local show the same year and didn't place in the top ten. Go figure.

Old 07-29-2016, 10:31 AM
Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Jim, post up some pictures!

Old 07-29-2016, 10:39 AM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Ran into that back in '80 when my '78 V8 4-speed Sunbird (factory) was ignored for a chromed out 6 cyl automagic. Just depends on the crowd.

AACA is a mix: the individual marque forums are interested in everything about the marque (and the Crossfire would fit right in but already has this forum) but the general discussion circles around "stock is stock and real cars have bias ply tires".

Seems to me that CICCI is their own organization, can make their own rules, and anyone who wants to change that should join.

Old 07-29-2016, 02:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[SIZE="2"][/SI.ZE]
Jim first off I think most of the Crossfire owners who attend come for the "social gathering", not to win awards. With that said, I want you to know that I voted for your car. With both awards, the CICCI car awards and the Carlisle awards, I think when the cars are sitting on the show-field, most people just notice the appearance and not the performance upgrades. May I suggest a show sign listing all your upgrades for any car show you attend. As far as the Carlisle awards, the votes are not just from Crossfire owners but owners of other cars in our section of the show-field, a lot of these folks don't really know much about our cars so the sign would be very helpful in getting those votes.
Another thing is the "social gathering" could also be helpful to you in talking about your upgrades and educating other Crossfire owners.

Anyway, it was nice seeing you and talking to you Jim.

Last edited by acrispy1; 07-29-2016 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-29-2016, 02:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Where the winners CICCI members?.
I heard that this meet was ran by and for the CICCI clique, notice the would 'founders' in the title of the post announcing it. Food and drink paid for by the other members, nice.
I suspect your car could be the best on the field and still come away with no CICCI plaque.
Thanks for the enlightening post.
"Where the winners CICCI members? When it comes to the CICCI Car Awards We don't check to see who is and who isn't. And just so you know, any board member and founders car is not eligible to win a CICCI award. Everyone else, regardless if member or not is eligible. When it comes to the Carlisle Chrysler Nationals Awards, we don't have a say.

"notice the would 'founders' in the title of the post announcing it." That's because Carlisle Chrysler Nationals is where the first Crossfire club stared and it's where all the founders meet and discussed the start of CICCI.

"I heard that this meet was ran by and for the CICCI clique" Yes the "clique" works very hard in organizing

" Food and drink paid for by the other members, nice." This isn't the only event the club has helped or will help with food and drinks.

Last edited by acrispy1; 07-29-2016 at 07:31 PM.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:45 PM
Received 522 Likes on 415 Posts

The Carlisle events can be somewhat frustrating to those that attend. It is not uncommon for the same cars to win every year in a grouping within a marque. Add to that a marque that was a limited production edition similar to our Crossfires, and it begins to look that a "clique" is influencing the voting. Not to point a finger at anyone; just sort of the way it is & has evolved.

I attended 3 years ago with my 2007 Limited Coupe. I really didn't intend to win a trophy, plaque or whatever, but wanted to meet other Crossfire owners and look at the cars. And not just ours - Crossfires typically sit on the showfield directly across from the Vipers and I could get overwhelmed looking at Vipers up close. Anyway, I ended up winning a 3rd Place Carlisle award for my 2007. My personal opinion - my nearly pristine, factory fresh 2007 XFire was much better looking than others in my class. But then again, I'm somewhat prejudiced!

What I found really interesting was the many times I had to explain to other Crossfire Owners attending that particular Carlisle show that my Machine Gray Crossfire was an OEM color! Nearly everyone there was positive I had repainted the car. And I'm sure several thought I was "fibbing" when I said it hadn't been. Kind of amazed me how so-called knowledgeable Crossfire Owners didn't really know that much. And I was the only Machine Gray Crossfire attending that show!

Years back, I owned Merkur XR4Ti's - had three of them in my driveway. All fully operational & able to go anywhere on a roadtrip reliably. And not many of my fellow XR4Ti Owners could make that claim. And at the Carlisle Ford Nationals, it was fairly widely understood that the same Owners won every year in their respective classes. And we would typically have 150-200 Merkurs attending under one club membership. You would see several hundred Mustangs on the showfield but they were split up into a dozen or so car clubs. Different cars would win every year. Kind of interesting!

And that Merkur Car Club of America (MCCA) took home the top attending car club trophy for 8 years running (I think; could have been 7 years running). Now that is a car owners group fully committed to an annual showfield event. The year our string was broken, the Ford Fairlanes of America held their national gathering in Carlisle that year. And they only beat the MCCA group by 2 cars!

Last edited by dedwards0323; 07-29-2016 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:10 PM
Received 522 Likes on 415 Posts

Speaking of car shows & awards like trophies & plaques. Several of our club owners need to consider attending the Euro Auto Festival in Greenville, SC this October. The awards given out are pure crystal with specific engravings. Now that's an award worth winning at least once!

See attached files.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20160729_184732.jpg (1.12 MB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg
20160729_184750.jpg (582.3 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by dedwards0323; 07-29-2016 at 07:13 PM.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
The Carlisle events can be somewhat frustrating to those that attend. It is not uncommon for the same cars to win every year in a grouping within a marque. Add to that a marque that was a limited production edition similar to our Crossfires, and it begins to look that a "clique" is influencing the voting. Not to point a finger at anyone; just sort of the way it is & has evolved.

I attended 3 years ago with my 2007 Limited Coupe. I really didn't intend to win a trophy, plaque or whatever, but wanted to meet other Crossfire owners and look at the cars. And not just ours - Crossfires typically sit on the showfield directly across from the Vipers and I could get overwhelmed looking at Vipers up close. Anyway, I ended up winning a 3rd Place Carlisle award for my 2007. My personal opinion - my nearly pristine, factory fresh 2007 XFire was much better looking than others in my class. But then again, I'm somewhat prejudiced!

What I found really interesting was the many times I had to explain to other Crossfire Owners attending that particular Carlisle show that my Machine Gray Crossfire was an OEM color! Nearly everyone there was positive I had repainted the car. And I'm sure several thought I was "fibbing" when I said it hadn't been. Kind of amazed me how so-called knowledgeable Crossfire Owners didn't really know that much. And I was the only Machine Gray Crossfire attending that show!

Years back, I owned Merkur XR4Ti's - had three of them in my driveway. All fully operational & able to go anywhere on a roadtrip reliably. And not many of my fellow XR4Ti Owners could make that claim. And at the Carlisle Ford Nationals, it was fairly widely understood that the same Owners won every year in their respective classes. And we would typically have 150-200 Merkurs attending under one club membership. You would see several hundred Mustangs on the showfield but they were split up into a dozen or so car clubs. Kind of interesting!
Maybe I was a little harsh in my post (#3) but I have heard similar to what you describe. I quit CICCI when an executive member accused me of calling Face Book members idiots when I had not said anything like that.

A well known member here joined the executive but was unable to do much as he was fighting an uphill battle against the 'clique' on everything they did not want changed, so he quit and I do not blame him.

CICCI is a good idea but has become a social club for a few members, how much of the clubs funds was spent on this outing will be hard to work out, the financial sheet I saw published when I was a member seemed vague at best. This is a complaint mentioned just recently here on the forum. If I am wrong I apologise.

Old 07-29-2016, 10:10 PM

To reply to all, here is my take on all this. As I understand it, this show used to be judged in a somewhat professional manner by judges. Now it is participant judged!!!! Saying that, I am not surprised that there is some club loyalty, both CICCI and regional clubs. I will be the first to admit that judging is hard, especially if you are NOT an expert on the cars being judged. I would be lousy judging Mustangs! I did not go to Carlisle looking for Awards, I have a ton of them already. I went with the idea of socializing, which was nice, and maybe sharing some of the performance modifications that I and others have done. I do realize that not everyone wants to go to the extreme on performance and that's fine, for some, just cosmetics are enough. Personally, I like just about every Crossfire I see! I guess that I expected some interest in everything I have done, it's been nonstop for 4 years, and with the bigger injectors, it will be finished. Well, maybe a little cosmetic touch. And Tony, thank you for the vote, I appreciate it. One last thing, while I love the SSB, they do not standout like the Black and Red and Aero Blue ones do.

Old 07-30-2016, 12:39 PM
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

To the Carlisle attendees
The issue is the categories for both awards, CICCI and the Carlisle. The categories need to be expanded, such as stock N/A Coupes, Roadsters; N/A Modified (any Mod from the factory or dealer options) Coupes, Roadsters and the same scenario for the SRT6's Coupes & Roadsters.
This should be conveyed to Carlisle Events, such as the Vipers, that have several categories for their cars. That should resolve any bad feelings in the future.

BTW, all Carlisle judging of the SRT6's were lumped together, Coupes and Roadsters. CICCI had Coupe or Roadster categories only, no distinction between N/A or SRT6, this could be expanded in the future as well.

So in your case Jim, a category of Modified SRT6 Coupe would be the category your car would fall into in the future. This is not rocket science.

How many knew that Marven's SRT6 was a rare 2006 model? it should have been considered as the most rare Crossfire at Carlisle!

Just my 2 cents.....

BTW, I did receive a 3rd place award from CICCI, and I'm not a member of the group.

Dennis
DTMenace

Old 07-30-2016, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by DTMenace
To the Carlisle attendees
The issue is the categories for both awards, CICCI and the Carlisle. The categories need to be expanded, such as stock N/A Coupes, Roadsters; N/A Modified (any Mod from the factory or dealer options) Coupes, Roadsters and the same scenario for the SRT6's Coupes & Roadsters.
This should be conveyed to Carlisle Events, such as the Vipers, that have several categories for their cars. That should resolve any bad feelings in the future.

BTW, all Carlisle judging of the SRT6's were lumped together, Coupes and Roadsters. CICCI had Coupe or Roadster categories only, no distinction between N/A or SRT6, this could be expanded in the future as well.

So in your case Jim, a category of Modified SRT6 Coupe would be the category your car would fall into in the future. This is not rocket science.

How many knew that Marven's SRT6 was a rare 2006 model? it should have been considered as the most rare Crossfire at Carlisle!

Just my 2 cents.....

BTW, I did receive a 3rd place award from CICCI, and I'm not a member of the group.

Dennis
DTMenace

That seems to be a reasonable solution to the problem. While the social aspects are important, it still is a car show. And by the way, Dennis, you still have the most pristine SRT6 imaginable!

Old 07-30-2016, 03:53 PM

To reply to all, here is my take on all this. As I understand it, this show used to be judged in a somewhat professional manner by judges. Now it is participant judged!!!! Saying that, I am not surprised that there is some club loyalty, both CICCI and regional clubs. I will be the first to admit that judging is hard, especially if you are NOT an expert on the cars being judged. I would be lousy judging Mustangs! I did not go to Carlisle looking for Awards, I have a ton of them already. I went with the idea of socializing, which was nice, and maybe sharing some of the performance modifications that I and others have done. I do realize that not everyone wants to go to the extreme on performance and that's fine, for some, just cosmetics are enough. Personally, I like just about every Crossfire I see! I guess that I expected some interest in everything I have done, it's been nonstop for 4 years, and with the bigger injectors, it will be finished. Well, maybe a little cosmetic touch. And Tony, thank you for the vote, I appreciate it. One last thing, while I love the SSB, they do not standout like the Black and Red and Aero Blue ones do.
I went to a local car show three successive years, once on my own and twice with a group of Crossfires, we paid our entry fee just like everyone else. It was run by a local club and they always seemed to pick up the prizes, with their names well known to the "In" crowd. A prize was given to a motor cycle that I deemed fit for the scrap heap, it was entered by one of the club members sons. People only looked at the club members cars/bikes it seems, the dice was loaded.
Our Crossfires never had a chance and barely were noticed. A Mustang that may have come from the factory floor that very day won a prize.
I had invitations every year to come along, this year no invitation, there was a draw for door prizes at the end of the awards ceremony and we did well there last year, we had six cars and we got six prizes, maybe that's why we were not asked back.
If there is a car show it has to be all inclusive or why bother to go. I never expected to get a prize but prizes went to poor entries.
Save
Save

Last edited by onehundred80; 07-30-2016 at 03:55 PM.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:26 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim F., I'd be interested in seeing a photo of your custom grill. I'm considering fabricating one of my own for my SRT-6. I'm sure it is a lot of trouble, but always nice to have a one and only.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by BibaResto
Jim F., I'd be interested in seeing a photo of your custom grill. I'm considering fabricating one of my own for my SRT-6. I'm sure it is a lot of trouble, but always nice to have a one and only.
There is a photo of it in my album. I made a pattern from a friends aftermarket grill, cut it out with a plasma cutter, some grinding and polishing, then put in some grill mesh from Custom Car Grills, formed it by hand and fastened it with bolts, nuts and washers. Voila.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally speaking, I've never seen a car with a bumper sticker win a car show.

Old 08-02-2016, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by chuK_138
Personally speaking, I've never seen a car with a bumper sticker win a car show.

It is only there to spark interest, which it does, along with a lot of lively conversation. And, I've won about 25 of them with it in place, besides, it's color matched to my car scheme. LOL

Quick Reply: Lack of Interest