Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

SRT6 Reliablity With High Mileage

Old 11-08-2016, 12:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRT6 Reliablity With High Mileage

Hi, I'm looking into buying a car and the Crossfire, specifically the SRT6, really caught my eye. I've found one for $7k with 90k miles that appears in good condition. I haven't seen or driven it yet as I am not quite ready to buy, but I just wanted to know how reliable these cars are. It would be my first car and I'm fine with spending money on repairs, after all it's an 11 year old car getting close to 100k miles, but I don't want to buy it and have it completely die on me at soon as I get to 100k. So my question is, at high mileage, are these cars generally pretty reliable, or will I be repairing it all the time?

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-08-2016, 01:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: SRT6 Reliablity With High Mileage

There is a member who has link in his sig for common problems with crossfires, I'll try to find it.

First, I'll answer your question. The cars are pretty reliable over all. The engine itself is strong with proper maintenance, transmissions seem to hold up very well.

Some problems (keep in mind ALL cars have their problems, no matter what your friends, uncles, mechanic, relatives, neighbors, dog, etc say):
1) Intercoolers tend to leak and can be a very costly repair. I think a new intercooler is well over 500, closer to 1000. Replacing it can be very costly too. The gaskets are over 200 I think and then you need some one to do the work. It seems like a pretty lengthy job.

2) The RCM (its a computer/chip type of thing) sometimes needs attention. Not to bad, you could probably send it to a member who will do the repair for you (for some $$ I would assume) and send it back. Fairly cheap.

3) Crank position sensor tends to go bad as well. Fairly cheap and all you need is a 10 mm.

4) intercooler pumps tend to go bad as well. Not a costly or difficult repair, but can be a pain still. I just upgraded mine when it went out, bought a used low mileage one from a forum member.

Now here is the issue. You are 18 years old looking at buying a car with a supercharged v6.

1) Even though these cars are reliable, they are pretty expensive to maintain. Oil is very expensive compared to my other cars. The car uses 12 sparkplugs, coils are not cheap, the gaskets to do your inter cooler repair are almost the price of some rebuild kits (don't quote me here).
Other expensive maintenance parts include:
Tires
Rims (If you damage one that is. considering how young you are, chances are you will damage the rims. I mean no offense, just speaking statistically here)
Coolant was a bit pricier (Others seem to find pretty darn good deals)

The drivetrain is mercedes, so expect to mercedes prices.

Now for some good:

The car is fast, if your 18 your friends will not have a car faster than yours (statistically speaking again)

When the issues are taken care of, the cars is a blast to drive. Suspension is amazing, a bit rough for a daily but awesome. Car is unique and an eye catcher.

Mods can be fairly cheap if your the DIY guy. You can make your own intake, buy a sc pulley from needswings or Eurocharged and a tune. At this point, your probably near 400 HP at the crank depending on what supercharger pulley you bought. Going above 400 crank wouldnt be too hard either, all you would need is stacked pullies or a smaller sc pulley, bigger fuel pump, dyno tune. Meth Inj and/or nos always help too.

With only 90k miles, I would not hesitate to buy it. Just make sure you drive the car HARD when test drive. I mean let her rip. If the car loses all power, you have a bad IC pump or CPS. You can use that to negotiate the price.

P.S. Pretty sure my buddy was looking at the same srt-6 you are looking. For 7k, thats a hell of a car. If its a dealer, tell them 6.5k or no deal, I bet they do it.

Last edited by 05srtsix; 11-08-2016 at 01:56 PM.
Old 11-08-2016, 01:56 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

here's the link ( below )

Old 11-08-2016, 02:27 PM

Awesome, thanks for the replies! The higher price of fuel and repairs and such are something I have known since it's mostly Mercedes, but the common things that need replacement are great to know. I haven't completely decided a Crossfire is what I will get, I'm also looking at the Nissan 350Z, Infiniti G35 Coupe, etc., but now when it is time for me to buy, hopefully pretty soon, I'll be much more informed.

Old 11-08-2016, 04:56 PM
Forum Regular
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by MStrong
Awesome, thanks for the replies! The higher price of fuel and repairs and such are something I have known since it's mostly Mercedes, but the common things that need replacement are great to know. I haven't completely decided a Crossfire is what I will get, I'm also looking at the Nissan 350Z, Infiniti G35 Coupe, etc., but now when it is time for me to buy, hopefully pretty soon, I'll be much more informed.
Lawdy, skip the Nissan products they are so slow and common. The only plus I can give to them is the fact that they can be had in a manual. Srt6 is already faster than both stock, and with bolt on mods this is an 11 second car.

Im a high mileage daily driver srt-6 owner. Im about to roll over into 170k. I bought this thing when it had 119k on it 3 or 4 years ago. A member earlier already went over the common issues with this car, other than that they are rock solid.

Old 11-08-2016, 05:26 PM

I agree that they're definitely more common, but I still think they're cool, definitely not as unique though. I also wouldn't say they're slow, not as fast as the SRT6 and more expensive to mod, but not slow. My reason for picking a 350Z over a SRT6 would be about price to maintain, and insurance as well will be a large factor for me.

Last edited by MStrong; 11-08-2016 at 09:15 PM.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:09 AM
Forum Regular
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes I would buy it,read everything about it an learn to do your own basic maintenance,toughness,picture this 100,000 miles highly modded with a 175 shot for 6 years no issues til ,last month window switch loat ground broke a oil ring on Cylinder 5 ,got a 70,000 mile engine going in an rebuild the other or part out but yes toughest engine I have seen.

Old 11-09-2016, 10:46 AM
Forum Regular
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by MStrong
I agree that they're definitely more common, but I still think they're cool, definitely not as unique though. I also wouldn't say they're slow, not as fast as the SRT6 and more expensive to mod, but not slow. My reason for picking a 350Z over a SRT6 would be about price to maintain, and insurance as well will be a large factor for me.
No problem man, I thought about 350z as well but decided I wanted something different that I dont see alot around. Your not going to see another srt-6 rolling around your area that often hell you might not even see a regular crossfire.

I dont know what the insurance difference would be between the two, I figure they should be the same since they are both 2 seater coupes I do know if involved in a wreck the srt-6 will more likely be a TL as its replacement parts will all be OEM.

Old 11-09-2016, 01:26 PM

My daily driver has 107k on the clock. I've replaced all the typical stuff, motor mounts, CPS, RCM, etc. Love the performance and cool factor of the car. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. However, I keep my AAA membership up to date.

Old 11-09-2016, 04:29 PM

Also if anyone is interested this is the specific car I'm looking at https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=157738286

Old 11-09-2016, 04:44 PM

at $6988 you better make sure it doesn't have a salvage title ........
( and a DIY hot air intake - hmmmmmm )

Old 11-09-2016, 05:15 PM

Yeah before I do any buying I'll check the title and everything, test drive, and have it inspected. Also, what do you mean DIY hot air intake?

Old 11-09-2016, 05:28 PM

The dealer's pictures show that the air intake is NOT the OEM, but an intake that pulls hot air from under the hood, not out in front of the grille as NeedsWings, or any smart DIY does.

Old 11-09-2016, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
The dealer's pictures show that the air intake is NOT the OEM, but an intake that pulls hot air from under the hood, not out in front of the grille as NeedsWings, or any smart DIY does.
So unfortunately I'm not the most savvy when it comes to cars. I've always liked cars but up until now when I'm looking to buy I've never really tried to further my understanding of how they work, so I'm still a bit confused as to what you mean and how that would affect it. As far as I know you would want cold air pulled in, correct? So the intake right now is just pulling in hot air trapped under the hood? How would that affect the car? Is it something to avoid?

Old 11-09-2016, 06:26 PM

Usually, yes.
Cold air has a higher density than hot air, thus more air in each intake stroke, more power.
Admittedly not a whole lot, but every bit helps.
The OEM intake on the SRT6 and NA models has two tubes that run to the front and pull air from in front of the radiator.
The NeedsWings single and dual CAI's do the same, the difference is better flow characteristics.
You do understand that the SRT6, although old by modern day standards is still a high performance platform capable of beating 90% of the new Camero's and Mustangs right ?
It is not to be trifled with, at age 18 you should take caution, it is a very good handling car with excellent brakes, but that doesn't prevent stupid drivers from pulling out in front of you !!
It is also NOT a good snow car, best leave it at home.

Old 11-09-2016, 08:19 PM

Usually, yes.
Cold air has a higher density than hot air, thus more air in each intake stroke, more power.
Admittedly not a whole lot, but every bit helps.
The OEM intake on the SRT6 and NA models has two tubes that run to the front and pull air from in front of the radiator.
The NeedsWings single and dual CAI's do the same, the difference is better flow characteristics.
You do understand that the SRT6, although old by modern day standards is still a high performance platform capable of beating 90% of the new Camero's and Mustangs right ?
It is not to be trifled with, at age 18 you should take caution, it is a very good handling car with excellent brakes, but that doesn't prevent stupid drivers from pulling out in front of you !!
It is also NOT a good snow car, best leave it at home.
Alright, if I do end up with a SRT6 I would plan on doing some things to it anyway, pulley, intake, etc., just not sure how soon after buying it.

And yes I definitely understand it's got great performance for it's age. On the subject of snow I live in East Texas and get snow MAYBE once a year, and it's barely even snow at that.

Old 11-16-2016, 04:00 PM

You missed one of the most important points ala_xfire made.

"at age 18 you should take caution"

Modding this car is not cheap either. The intake costs close to 1k unless you DIY. I went the DIY, now I went back to stock. Pulley is fairly cheap.

I would say this is too much car for most 18 year old teenagers. It is by far the fastest car I've been in or owned. Just becareful.

A 350z/g35 would be 'easier' to handle for a teenager, they have less power. Different powerband.

good luck! I hope you buy the srt6 and live to tell your grandchildren what an amazing car it was. Or buy a beater for cheap and buy the srt6 in a year as weekend warrior or something.

Old 11-16-2016, 05:52 PM

I was being polite.

Old 11-17-2016, 09:23 AM

I was being polite.
Was I rude? Just trying to paint a realistic picture for the young man.

Old 11-17-2016, 10:19 AM

No. You said what I should have said.
( And YOU aren't a "young man" - he he )
I'll trade you 72 for 25 any day.