Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Ported Heads

Old 01-04-2017, 06:43 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ported Heads

Just picked up a pair of ported and polished heads (inc. new valves and seals etc) for 250GBP or approx 300 dollars off ebay. They were originally off a C32 and removed after 3 weeks because the owner sold the car.
Any idea what gains (ish) I should expect? Asking members who have had their heads ported. Thanks in advance

Old 01-04-2017, 08:48 PM
Default Re: Ported Heads

Can you send a picture of the heads and the porting, not that I can tell you what gains they will give you. I just want to have a look. thanks

Old 01-04-2017, 10:57 PM
Forum Regular

Old 01-05-2017, 06:39 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: Ported Heads

I have to wonder if they were ported and polished would they not have a valve job and if so would the valves stems be not be faced so they were the same length. There is sand paper marks on the head which makes me wonder more. Woody

Old 01-05-2017, 07:06 AM
Forum Regular

appreciate your comments as always woody. could you please elaborate on what else needs to be done as obviously I havent fitted them yet and would appreciate your help. Do you think I over paid for these? Was told the valves and seals were brand new.

Steve

Old 01-05-2017, 09:00 AM
Forum Regular

This was how they were advertised.

for sale is a pair of PORTED mercedes c32 amg head also fits slk32 amg and Chrysler crossfire srt6

these heads have been ported and when done was also pressure tested skimmed polished. as you can see in two of the pictures from when it was done. they were on the car for around 3.5weeks and then decided to sell the car so took heads off.

they had been fully refurbished with new seals valves etc it cost me alot of money to get these heads done especially with them being ported.

Old 01-05-2017, 08:32 PM

I was hoping that ROB would pull in and comment. The heads that I have had done all had the valve stemsfaced to insure they were the same height.

Calling ROB, where are ya buddy? Woody DOC?/

Old 01-06-2017, 09:37 AM
Forum Regular
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a pair of srt6 heads sitting around so I am curious about this as well

Old 01-06-2017, 10:14 AM
Received 532 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by waldig
I was hoping that ROB would pull in and comment. The heads that I have had done all had the valve stemsfaced to insure they were the same height.

Calling ROB, where are ya buddy? Woody DOC?/
Why would this be important? Assuming that they would be within ten thou or so anyway.
Inquiring minds etc.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:02 AM
Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

do you have the "married" cam caps? if so what condition are they in? I hope they are not all thrown into a plastic bag to bounce off each other???

pictures 1 and 4 scare me as there are a decent amount of scratches, if the head was slide across a table it will need to be re-decked

pictures 2 and 3 look like it was run for more than 2 weeks as picture 6 shows the head freshly ported and cleaned

picture 5, yes sandpaper and seems to be done after it was installed and removed.

did the seller tell you who did the head and is there any sort of build sheet with them?

once you get them sorted out they should made good power for you. I can help with the needed tools/parts for the swap.

Old 01-06-2017, 06:10 PM

????????????? I just got to wonder, the heads were ported thats money. They were pulled off the car and then sold for $300 without a core charge?

Iam a car nut and built a double throttle body for my car cause I wanted to know, and to pull heads and do a reinstall of stockers is not worth $ 300 and an aids free hooker - to me.

Where is the money in that situation, sell the car with ported heads or something, not trying to make a biggie, just makes me wonder and if a shop did the work they should have done a better job.

180 when you do a valve job or replace valves you face the valve to insure they are the same length / height. Id assume that porting heads would qualify for a valve job and how are the seats to match valves angle unless you face the surface and that affects depth and resulting height. And on and on...........

Old 01-06-2017, 06:41 PM
Forum Regular

So do you think I've bought a lemon Woody? Sent a message to the the guy earlier as the delivery was missing the cam caps which he has promised to send me next week along with the build sheet from the shop that did the work. I suppose if the worse comes to the worse I could get a shop to re work the heads as they should still be a reasonable platform to work from.

Just through interest how much should a set of ported heads actually cost?

Old 01-06-2017, 11:55 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Stuff like this possibly going all wrong scares me. That's why I'm having NeedsWings to modify my cylinder heads. Squirrel Crusher

Old 01-07-2017, 09:01 AM
Received 532 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by waldig
180 when you do a valve job or replace valves you face the valve to insure they are the same length / height. Id assume that porting heads would qualify for a valve job and how are the seats to match valves angle unless you face the surface and that affects depth and resulting height. And on and on...........
How much differance can the lifters adjust too? I figuredthesevwere good for a good mm or so. What surface are you talking about surfacing? The stem end?
The OPs heads do not look as if they had a valve job done on them, not lately anyway.

Old 01-07-2017, 09:18 AM
Received 514 Likes on 410 Posts

I'm curious if having the heads undergo a treatment using the "Extrude Honing" process would provide any significant improvements.

Old 01-08-2017, 05:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As a machinist and former employee of a cylinder head shop, no professional did that. Every valve stem would be tipped, there would be no residue in only half the cylinders, and the scotch brite scratches wouldn't be there either. Looks like it was done in someone's garage and then laid on a dirty table, only to be dragged off ruining the deck surface. On top of that, it doesn't even look like it was soda blasted.

PS....You didn't overpay. That's about market price for a set. They just don't look like what was advertised.

Last edited by chuK_138; 01-08-2017 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:09 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks for the input Chuk. Do you think they could be made right? ie fixed.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:08 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Absolutely repairable as long as the deck scratches aren't too deep. It would be a $350 job at my old shop, so keep that in mind.

Old 01-09-2017, 12:34 PM
Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

without the original cam caps the head is not worth anything in my opinion. if the cam caps show up to you bouncing off each other in a bag the same applies. don't put any more money into these until you are confident in the cam caps.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:14 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Chuk is is correct... Never had any heads look that, for a better term, unpolished. They should look better than that, not just scotch brighted...or sanded...which looks very unprofessional. I would guess the owner did some polishing with a grinder and brush and called it ported.... Heads have the value you paid. Just may not be ported and the polish is questionable.