Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

No Power on Initial Acceleration

Old 01-24-2017, 12:03 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default No Power on Initial Acceleration

Something is wrong with my car, and I dont know where to look for the problem. On initial acceleration, it feels like I have about 20 hp. or it's starting in third gear with the brake on. If I play with the accelerator, it will blast off, and then fall on its face again, or sometimes just go like a banshee. Its unpredictable. One time it just jerked, or surged, bog, blast, bog, blast, as I kept the accelerator down. When it goes, it's much faster than my other SRT6s. It does the same thing with traction control on and off. I recently had the dash apart and the console out to remove the carpet, in preparation for the roll cage installation. The brake light is on, on the dash, and I'm not sure what caused that to come on. My car has a Eurocharged tune in it. I've got my first race coming up, and it will be dangerous the way it's running. It's not the intercooler pump, I've replaced two of them on my other cars. When it bogs, the power cuts back to two mouses and a squirrel. Any ideas? Thanks.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:00 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: No Power on Initial Acceleration

First thing I'd do is scan it for any codes that haven't set off the CEL yet. Do you have a DashDAQ or other tool to look at/log some of your parameters, like Air Intake Temps, Throttle Position, etc? It'll be hard to diagnose without a direction to start in.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:26 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks Buggin. I will get the codes and respond back.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:44 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Buggin
First thing I'd do is scan it for any codes that haven't set off the CEL yet. Do you have a DashDAQ or other tool to look at/log some of your parameters, like Air Intake Temps, Throttle Position, etc? It'll be hard to diagnose without a direction to start in.
I have full version of torque on my phone and wife's phone, and bluetooth obd adapters in every vechicle.
Reads not only manufacturer codes and also generic codes and has a list of parameters and gauges that can be pulled up, like, temps, throttle, timing, o2 voltage etc.
And it is cheap
Adapter on ebay $10-$15
Full version for torque app is $5 or $10 can't remeber.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:55 AM

Sounds almost like an electrical input problem. Did you mess around with the accel pedal or wires leading from the pedal to the ECU? If there's shmoo or smegma gumming up the accel wiper the ECU could be seeing an erratic voltage input. Don't think this would throw any codes as it'd be the same as going all herky jerky with the throttle. If you have a way of monitoring throttle position, check that parameter as well while you're at it. if throttle % is reading correctly, that'd rule one more issue out.

Mentioned you had console and carpet out, could be something pulled a wire loose or gummed up a sensor.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:57 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

You could also remove the black plastic cover on the throttle body and clean the wiper fingers and circuit board with contact cleaner. ( this is the TPS )

Last edited by ala_xfire; 01-24-2017 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:05 AM
Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

swap the throttle body and gas pedals from your other car, it is probably one of those

Old 01-24-2017, 02:39 PM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts

BINGO on the TB and pedal assembly (as a starting point). If not one of these two I would be surprised. While looking at the pedal assembly, check to make sure no individual wire got pulled out/chaffed. Reposition the cable harness checking the wires. One more thing, while doing the carpet, did you bump/remove the TCM (or wire harness) under the console? Good luck!

Old 01-24-2017, 06:48 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Don't rule out the fuel pump/filter... It can cause the bucking you are talking about.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:23 AM
Forum Regular

Ever fix your problem? I'm getting a P0120 code now and experiencing the same symptoms. lol

Old 03-03-2017, 10:50 AM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Buggin
Ever fix your problem? I'm getting a P0120 code now and experiencing the same symptoms. lol
Have a look at all his questions on other matters after this post. Click
I think he only replied back once with the solution to a problem.
Waste of time helping this guy if he continues on like this, we'll learn nothing and get no thanks for our efforts either.

Old 03-04-2017, 07:46 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Have a look at all his questions on other matters after this post. Click
I think he only replied back once with the solution to a problem.
Waste of time helping this guy if he continues on like this, we'll learn nothing and get no thanks for our efforts either.

Unfortunately that happens a lot on car forums...

FYI, I fixed my issue. I had cleaned/detailed my engine and must have gotten a little water in a connector. Never had that problem before. I ended up cleaning the electrical connectors on the throttle body and Y-pipe (had a little gunk in it), disconnected the battery for a bit, and then did a throttle reset after. All is good again...