Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

$8 silicone hose upgrade

Old 02-06-2017, 10:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default $8 silicone hose upgrade

Had a problem with super high iat's . Did the clamp the ic return hose to purge air but no help . Then put on a clear bypass hose from the metal tube into the overflow and nothing . There was no power going to pump so did the always on ic pump mod and tried clear hose again . This time success , but I was surprised to see the air bubbles going thru . So decided that I wanted a permanent way to always make sure fluid was flowing and that all air was out .

Found an 8mm high pressure silicone hose and replaced the rubber hose ( it had the isolation kit but for now I didn't put the top valve back on , more later)

ihe hose is rated to 350 degrees about 3 times what it well ever see , and is thick walled so can easily handle the 16 psi it well see.

now at anytime you can just squeeze the return hose with your fingers and SEE the fluid ( and air if any) bypass to your overflow .

got a foot of it on ebay . this is hps clear silicone hose 8mm (5/16) it is made for this type of application . $8.36 delivered .

p.s. ebay has cheaper versions but they are thin walled and may not handle the heat/pressure .

also looks really cool !
silicone%20hose.jpg

Old 02-07-2017, 07:22 AM
Received 522 Likes on 415 Posts
Default Re: $8 silicone hose upgrade

Looks good & serves a practical need. Thanks

Old 02-07-2017, 09:49 AM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by king happy
Had a problem with super high iat's . Did the clamp the ic return hose to purge air but no help . Then put on a clear bypass hose from the metal tube into the overflow and nothing . There was no power going to pump so did the always on ic pump mod and tried clear hose again . This time success , but I was surprised to see the air bubbles going thru . So decided that I wanted a permanent way to always make sure fluid was flowing and that all air was out .

Found an 8mm high pressure silicone hose and replaced the rubber hose ( it had the isolation kit but for now I didn't put the top valve back on , more later)

ihe hose is rated to 350 degrees about 3 times what it well ever see , and is thick walled so can easily handle the 16 psi it well see.

now at anytime you can just squeeze the return hose with your fingers and SEE the fluid ( and air if any) bypass to your overflow .

got a foot of it on ebay . this is hps clear silicone hose 8mm (5/16) it is made for this type of application . $8.36 delivered .

p.s. ebay has cheaper versions but they are thin walled and may not handle the heat/pressure .

also looks really cool !

Great idea! Only 'add' to this is you might want to shorten the hose so that the air bubbles present can freely flow to the bottle. This way, you do not have to 'milk' the bubbles to the bottle over a period of time.

Old 02-07-2017, 04:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

---------------

Last edited by No2fast; 02-07-2017 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:37 PM

Yea, I ordered this hose a while ago but it was too bulky and hard to see into with the reinforcement in it so I never put it on.
HPS 1-Feet Clear 5/16" (8mm) High Temp Silicone Heater Hose Coolant Turbo | eBay

Old 02-07-2017, 04:56 PM
Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

nice, i've never seen a clear hose that would hold up before, subscribing for a 6 month update

so the AIT's are back in check now? 20-30f above ambient?

btw, your valve cover breather panel is leaking oil onto your valve cover and potentially your exhaust manifold, needs to be addressed.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:37 PM

I use this hose on my turbo cars , haven't had a problem with it . 350 degree working temp and pressure is probably good to 60+ psi . in this application probably over kill .

Not sure which hose you got but this is easy to see thru and easy to work with. the reason it looks clear is because I run strait water and robs DEI chill charger.

I know I need to reseal the breathers but I just got everything fixed so I wanted to install all the fun stuff . ok i'll reseal them this weekend .

the ic pump wasn't running . did the always on upgrade and it works . so there is a problem before the fuse box . We'll have to remove fuse box and find lose connection .

But got to tell you guys , having the ability to reach down , squeeze a hose and immediately confirm that your ic pump is working 100% and you have no air in your ic is a nice thing to have.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:40 AM
Forum Regular
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by NeedsWings
nice, i've never seen a clear hose that would hold up before, subscribing for a 6 month update

so the AIT's are back in check now? 20-30f above ambient?

btw, your valve cover breather panel is leaking oil onto your valve cover and potentially your exhaust manifold, needs to be addressed.
Question: What is the easiest way to check the IAT , (Intercooler Air Temp i assume) to see if you need this mod or not? I have a handheld laser temp measuring device used in air conditioning work, where would you "shine" the sensing beam for this measurement? Not at the plenum i wouldnt think. Thanks in advance....Peace

Oops....So, I later realized that the reading was available with the scanner (I've got one)....duuuh..alzheimers I think!

Last edited by Fla_Xfire_SRT; 02-09-2017 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:02 AM
Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

if you plug in an obd2 scanner that can read live data, just select AIT or IAT depending on how it is written in the scanner software. a laser pointer thermometer isn't going to work.

Old 02-08-2017, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Fla_Xfire_SRT
Question: What is the easiest way to check the IAT , (Intercooler Air Temp i assume) to see if you need this mod or not? I have a handheld laser temp measuring device used in air conditioning work, where would you "shine" the sensing beam for this measurement? Not at the plenum i wouldnt think. Thanks in advance....Peace
go to ebay , search for obd elm327 mini . the little blue ones are $6. and work great on my srt6. I downloaded torquepro app for $5. and now can read and log lots of data from engine .

Old 02-08-2017, 11:47 AM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

go to ebay , search for obd elm327 mini . the little blue ones are $6. and work great on my srt6. I downloaded torquepro app for $5. and now can read and log lots of data from engine .
I got the Elm but the Bluedriver is better.
I have four gizmos to check for faults, luckily I only needed one once and that was to check the pollution system status.
I love gadgets and tools.

Old 02-08-2017, 11:59 AM

180 , i'm always up for an upgrade . what does the bluedriver do better ?

Old 02-08-2017, 12:13 PM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

180 , i'm always up for an upgrade . what does the bluedriver do better ?
I prefer the layout of the screens. iI have not had faults to find on either so actual screen time on faults has been zero.

Old 02-08-2017, 01:23 PM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I prefer the layout of the screens. iI have not had faults to find on either so actual screen time on faults has been zero.
Interesting, BlueDriver claiims to "clear Enhanced codes (e.g. ABS, Airbag, Transmission, etc) on GM, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota (more to come! "

Old 02-23-2017, 06:29 AM

I use the ELM327 Bluetooth dongle into the ODBII port and couple it to Torquepro on my $60 el cheapo Huawei phone.
Great solution if you are happy with 1-2 second log intervals (me=most of the time). Doesn't seem to do better than that despite how many items you have being captured. (See picture of data captured)

I also use the carsoft7.4 MB software with interface box and that is much better for reading all codes. That box cost me $100 ex CHN dx.com. It systematically goes through each individual processing unit (about 10 on the car) and prints out firmware version + any stored fault codes.
I can't comment on whether or not the carsoft works on a Chrysler (SRT6) I can only assume it would.

I use torquepro for a "quick check" and reset + data logging and use the Carsoft every 12months or so to do a full check/analysis and flush.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
example.jpg (73.6 KB, 12 views)
Old 02-27-2017, 03:08 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I believe Ultragauge has the IAT readout. You can put that into the main gauge page, it will always be there at a glance. I Have just about every really useful gauge on just 2 pages of my Ultragauge.

Old 02-27-2017, 03:11 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

I have mine on just one page, never change it.
Speed, rpm, engine temp, IAT, inst MPG, avg MPG.