Detail Shop The place to talk about the daily care of your Crossfire and share the products you use to care for your Crossfire

How to detail your Crossfire!!

Old 04-16-2008, 01:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How to detail your Crossfire!!

Thanks for all these posts, really appreciate all the advice.

Last edited by OregonRoadster; 04-16-2008 at 02:07 PM.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:50 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks everybody for all the tips, I have been washing my car on the regular using the info here like a bible. I do have a couple questions though. I picked up a 60$ black and decker polisher and ran it over the car using the Meguiars 3 step system and the only thing I noticed was the wax works well. After I was done the whole process (took forever) I walked across the street to check it out and it looked like one giant swirl in the sun . I’m not sure if it is just a crap polisher (even if it is it should still help a little) or if it was the pad I used. I assume it was most likely the pad, it was a wool pad but I don't think it was good enough to get to the swirls. Do any stores carry these foam/more aggressive pads? I can’t seem to find anything at places like AutoZone and I prefer to pick things up at a store if I can. Also should I just grab the porter cable and give up on the other? Thanks for the help!

Old 04-17-2008, 01:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmm...I have no idea what polisher is $60 from black and decker, but I bet the pad you used was way too aggressive. Try Menzerna polishes and a less aggressive pad first (like Lake country blue foam ccs), then a more aggressive pad (like the Lake Country orange foam ccs) followed by a less aggressive pad if the less aggressive pad by itself does not do the job. Autogeek.net and properautocare.com are some of my favorite places to go for quality detailing products. Locally you might want to ask your local body shop where they get their supplies (it's probably local).

Old 04-17-2008, 03:05 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by golfdude
Hmmm...I have no idea what polisher is $60 from black and decker, but I bet the pad you used was way too aggressive. Try Menzerna polishes and a less aggressive pad first (like Lake country blue foam ccs), then a more aggressive pad (like the Lake Country orange foam ccs) followed by a less aggressive pad if the less aggressive pad by itself does not do the job. Autogeek.net and properautocare.com are some of my favorite places to go for quality detailing products. Locally you might want to ask your local body shop where they get their supplies (it's probably local).
It is a Craftsman,(http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00910721000P?keyword=buffer) sorry I was looking at some other stuff and got mixed up (although I swear it was more at the store). Also I should have said that the car was a giant swirl before hand, it just didn't seem to get any better.

I used the second step cloth (dont have on the site ) with some scratch X and paint cleaner/conditioner
then used http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...keyword=buffer For the polish and http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00928494000P?keyword=buffer for the wax.

It did shine really nice but that almost made the swirls more apparent.

Couple pictures, hard to get it to not autofocus on the reflection but should be able to tell. (PS I Hate Polin, i swear i just washed it a few hours ago)

Last edited by Airscape; 04-17-2008 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:43 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to say that buffer just isn't going to get the job done, especially with our very hard clear coat finish. I'd bet the wool pad you used put some of that marring into the paint, but you should be able to get that out with a proper DA polisher - the Porter Cable 7424 or the new Meguair's G110 - and the right pads and polishes.

I highly recommend you check out autodetailingsolutions.com, specifically Package #2 at http://www.autodetailingsolutions.co...20Specials.htm as this will hook you up with practically everything you need to get started. But regardless which pads and chemicals you use, technique is EVERYTHING when it comes to machine polishing. At least with a DA polisher if yoiur technique is bad the worst that will happen is you'll just push the product around and not get a lot of results. You will NOT damage the paint unless you drop the machine on the car.

You might also want to check out the forums at www.meguiarsonline.com for some detailed info on proper techniques for machine polishing.

Old 04-17-2008, 04:15 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mike-in-Orange
Sorry to say that buffer just isn't going to get the job done, especially with our very hard clear coat finish. I'd bet the wool pad you used put some of that marring into the paint, but you should be able to get that out with a proper DA polisher - the Porter Cable 7424 or the new Meguair's G110 - and the right pads and polishes.

I highly recommend you check out autodetailingsolutions.com, specifically Package #2 at http://www.autodetailingsolutions.co...20Specials.htm as this will hook you up with practically everything you need to get started. But regardless which pads and chemicals you use, technique is EVERYTHING when it comes to machine polishing. At least with a DA polisher if yoiur technique is bad the worst that will happen is you'll just push the product around and not get a lot of results. You will NOT damage the paint unless you drop the machine on the car.

You might also want to check out the forums at www.meguiarsonline.com for some detailed info on proper techniques for machine polishing.
Thanks for the info, I just picked it up because I figured it be better than my hand and hoped it would get the majority of swirls out. (WRONG) I wish I wouldn't have got all excited and grabbed a pos before I saw the link for the porter cable at 99$. Anybody want a free giant toe nail buffer?

Old 04-23-2008, 08:01 PM

Newbie!
I thought I may be able to contibute! Sorry; Golfdude just blew me away. I've used Clay Bars before and they are unreal, but I never knew the detailed method descibed.
This Forum is fantastic; thanks for sharing your knowledge.
For what it's worth---- " I love this car!" and I've had a whole lot of cars.
Next objective----what is the most bang for the buck onHp?

Thanks!

Old 04-24-2008, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by maclovinX
Newbie!
I thought I may be able to contibute! Sorry; Golfdude just blew me away. I've used Clay Bars before and they are unreal, but I never knew the detailed method descibed.
This Forum is fantastic; thanks for sharing your knowledge.
For what it's worth---- " I love this car!" and I've had a whole lot of cars.
Next objective----what is the most bang for the buck onHp?

Thanks!
Welcome to our forum!

Old 04-30-2008, 08:58 PM

Thanks for the compliment maclovinX! Airscape, I don't know where you are located, but if you are between VA and NY I might be able to stop on by to show you some detailing tips and tricks.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:12 AM

I read a lot of good posts about revitalizing the paint. But my question is about "final wax" or a maintenance type product.

Has anyone had any good results with any finish type waxes, preferably a spray on type that can be used to keep a good slick shine on a car that is garaged kept? I know that Meguiar's has several different number applications available, but I have not done any experimenting yet.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:42 AM

I've had good results with Duragloss Aquawax (cheapest), Optimum Spray Wax (mid-priced), and Zaino Z8 (most expensive). The Optimum Spray wax beads like crazy and all of these products create a slick surface. Zaino Z8 offers a very glossy appearance while Optimum Spray Wax looks P21S-like...a very wet, deep look. Aquawax is inbetween in appearance. The old Meg's NXT and Eagle One's similar products are not as easy to remove, but they are easy to find. The new "hydrophobic" brands from Meguires look interesting.

Old 05-16-2008, 04:22 PM

I've heard that Optimum Spray is good but I have never been able to find in a retail store.

Maybe you know some places locally that sell it ?

Old 05-16-2008, 10:05 PM

I haven't found Optimum Spray wax in stores either. I have found Duragloss Aquawax at Federated Car Parts though.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:16 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up Re: How to detail your Crossfire!!

After a thorough cleaning, then a session with a clay bar, I applied 2 coats of Meguiars NXT 2.0 24 hours apart. I think the ease of removal has to do alot with the cleanliness of the paint as much as anything else.

The NXT 2.0 is quite nice in that you can do the WHOLE CAR, wait an hour, and remove it with microfiber towels as easily as wiping down the kitchen counters. Mine is garage-kept and is 2 months old. Looks great with an occational good wash and dry, then application of Meguiars Quick Detailer (it all came in a kit).

Old 05-17-2008, 05:22 PM
Senior Member/Moderator

I would use the detail spray after every wash. It really makes a difference.

Golfdude - Take it from a Zaino zealot, the Z-6 is all you need, the Z-8 may smell like peaches but quite frankly I couldn't tell a difference and I think its more expensive than the Z-6. I gave the remainder of the Z-8 to my son.
Pat

Last edited by patpur; 05-17-2008 at 05:24 PM.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:54 PM

Patpur - I actually have both z6 and z8. I personally feel that z6 does clean and slicken the surface, while z8 adds even more slickness and more gloss, and it beads well for the short time that it lasts. I could certainly tell the areas sprayed with only z6, and areas sprayed with z8. The difference in appearances between the two products probably vary from color to color. Yeah, z8 certainly smells good too and it is much more expensive. I haven't tried their clear seal product yet. Their ZAIO is pretty good too, but it doesn't clean the paint as quickly and effectively as Optimum poliseal. But, I will probably be getting ZAIO to create a base for z6 and z2 pro.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:56 PM

Thinking about the context of your response Patpur, I am probably going to aggree with you that z6 is better for weekly "clean-up" after washing. Z8 does not seem to last anywhere near as long as any of the other spray waxes that I mentioned, but I still feel it really boosts-up the shine and slickness of a paint surface.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:14 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by golfdude
Thanks for the compliment maclovinX! Airscape, I don't know where you are located, but if you are between VA and NY I might be able to stop on by to show you some detailing tips and tricks.
I must be blind because I swear i never noticed this, I really appreciate the offer! I just ordered the porter cable today for 99$ (found in This Thread) so if that doesn't do it for me I will def take you up on that. I do have a couple questions though. I can tell the wax is wearing off from my previous adventure, what should I be using to get it all off before I throw the porter on there and go to work? Also I have not ordered any pads yet, any packages you recommend? I have seen a few made for the porter cable but cant seem to find the links anymore. Thanks again for the offer and all the help!

Old 06-22-2008, 11:29 AM

Here are few kits that look pretty good:

http://autogeek.net/optimum-kit.html

or

I would JUMP on this kit asap because it has truly everything good:
http://autogeek.net/meguiars-da-foam-pad-kit.html

But, I do feel the need for a FLEX machine, because it does a faster job:
http://autogeek.net/flex-orbital-polisher.html

If money is no object, this is the kit to get...simply the best in my opinion:
http://autogeek.net/menzerna-flex-xc...w-car-kit.html

Old 06-22-2008, 04:08 PM
Forum Regular

Anyone ever use this stuff called "Final Detail"?? It is a spray wax but works like a quick detailer... It is by far the best I've found and it works great after each wash...order it on www.finaldetail.com It acts almost like an alcohol based product would...you spray it on and begin to wipe it off and it quickly evaporates.

Quick Reply: How to detail your Crossfire!!