Detail Shop The place to talk about the daily care of your Crossfire and share the products you use to care for your Crossfire

White specks on black paint?

Old 07-24-2008, 01:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default White specks on black paint?

There are several tiny white specs on the passenger-side rear shoulder of my black SRT. I noticed them AFTER carefully washing the car. If you rub your finger over them, you can feel it. I tried picking one off with my finger-nail, but nothing gives. If photos are neccessary, I would be happy to take them. Please help!

Old 07-24-2008, 03:27 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 456 Likes on 321 Posts
Default Re: White specks on black paint?

Try a claybar over the area and see if that removes it.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...hlight=claybar

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...hlight=claybar

Old 11-03-2008, 08:21 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

I have a black model and I saw white spots, they turned out to be small chips that exposed the undercoat. Are you sure they are not chips in the finish?

Old 11-03-2008, 08:33 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same thing. They will never come off. I fell it is overspray of clearcoat but after a lot of effort, I believe it is deeper in the paint than that. If a lot of the black ones have it, maybe a poor job from the factory.

Steve

Last edited by SRT-6 Steve; 03-07-2009 at 08:13 AM.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:57 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is a crap paint job, mine has them too.

If you use the turtle wax black wax (it has dye in it) it will hide them very well. Then you can use a good wax on top of it.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:51 AM

Same here, same side, crap paint job from factory.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:00 AM

This covers it up fairly well, i do not bother using the lipstick tube crap. the black dye in the wax fills in those specks.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:10 PM
Senior Member/Moderator

onehundred 80 is right. They are chips not white paint specs. What you are seeing is the undercoat. Try mrphotomans' fix. If that doesn't work you are looking at touch up paint. I would be very careful with that. check out Langka System before you do anything with touch up paint.
Pat

Old 11-03-2008, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by patpur
onehundred 80 is right. They are chips not white paint specs. What you are seeing is the undercoat. Try mrphotomans' fix. If that doesn't work you are looking at touch up paint. I would be very careful with that. check out Langka System before you do anything with touch up paint.
Pat
I don't know about the other guys but the spots on my car are not chips, if I run my fingers over them it feels smooth no chips.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:04 PM

they are not chips, it is defects in the paint. they are little tiny pin holes. you can not feel them, try your fingernail or if you are feeling dangerous a pin in one of the holes.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by mrphotoman
they are not chips, it is defects in the paint. they are little tiny pin holes. you can not feel them, try your fingernail or if you are feeling dangerous a pin in one of the holes.
That sounds like "Solvent Trap", however with the new paint process which I assume was used. I didn't know that condition still existed. If it is Solvent Trap it should not have been shipped.

Old 11-21-2008, 05:15 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

After I got mine home from the lot and gave her a good washing, I also noticed some "dots" that wouldn't wash off. At first I thought they were drops of the stuff they use to put the price on the windshields. But even after some mild rubbing with my Microfiber towel they still didn't budge. So I decided to get agressive, I took some cerium oxide (I use this on leather to polish opals with-I'm a stone cutter), and some of my good sealer wax and a felt stick (we use to polish the inside of rings with) and buffed them out oo the paint, also did a great job on some minor scuff marks on the other side of the car. Hope this helps.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:13 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I must have lucked out, no spots on mine the last time I clay barred her, just some chipped paint on the nose and hood...

Old 11-21-2008, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
I must have lucked out, no spots on mine the last time I clay barred her, just some chipped paint on the nose and hood...
I have the same problem on my black Xfire. I used the colored Turtle wax and it's ok but I found this product www.drcolorchip.com. It's too cold here to try it this year and it's a bit pricey but the article that turned me on to it made it sound like a great product. I'll have to wait for spring to see how it works.

delornut

Old 02-13-2009, 04:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Please do let us know how the www.drcolorchip.com product works out, I think there are many of us late model black XF owners who would really liike to know :-)

Old 02-13-2009, 04:16 PM

Mine has the same White chips on the front of the car but I thought it was mainly because of the highway miles I put on it 77K in 3 yrs..... I have thousands of them in the front to many to touch up. maybe I should try this color magic stuff?

Old 02-13-2009, 04:29 PM
Forum Regular

The other possibility is that they are indeed very tiny chips that have wax imbedded in them and the wax has dried white. I only use waxes/polished that do not dry white!

Old 03-07-2009, 06:26 AM
Thumbs up Re: White specks on black paint?

Originally Posted by smokey847
There are several tiny white specs on the passenger-side rear shoulder of my black SRT. I noticed them AFTER carefully washing the car. If you rub your finger over them, you can feel it. I tried picking one off with my finger-nail, but nothing gives. If photos are neccessary, I would be happy to take them. Please help!
Send me some photo's to diagnose....

try to give you my best solution from over 25 years in the detailing industry...

Old 03-07-2009, 08:10 AM
Forum Regular

I agree. It is a poor paint job. I have it on both doors on the section that angles toward the window. Looks like crap in the sun. I do not have it on any verticle surface. I spend countless hours with many different products with very little luck. They have calmed down a little but still looks bad. When I brought the car home, it looked much worse. I am afraid that if I work any more on it, I will wear the clearcoat too thin so I am afraid I am stuck with mine. I do have some on the hood closer to the grill. At first, I thought it was from being sand blasted during driving but after countless hours, I feel it is the same issue. The surface is smooth as a babies butt so I believe the problem is in the paint just below the surface.

Steve

Originally Posted by mrphotoman

Old 03-07-2009, 09:15 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Obviously there is more than one problem with the paint, mine are definitely chips that appear white. They are not filled with wax, I have not waxed it and I doubt that the dealer did either. After the clay bar treatment they are still there on the hood and no where else.
I can see them, I can feel them and I can put a point of a needle into them.
I think that it is damage to the clear coat and the whiteness is the fracture marks in it. I will try to fix one with a spot of clear coat.

Edit March 8th.
Putting black paint onto a chip seems to make the spot more visible than the spot of clear coat I put on a chip. After I added the spot of clear coat I carefully scraped the surface level with a sharp razor blade, it made a few light scratches that are no worse than the swirls and they should polish out OK. I will see what it looks like then.

Edit June 5th.
Polished and waxed and the clear coat came out of the chips, but the whiteness has gone from the chip.

Last edited by onehundred80; 06-06-2009 at 09:42 AM.

Quick Reply: White specks on black paint?