Detail Shop The place to talk about the daily care of your Crossfire and share the products you use to care for your Crossfire

Turtle wax polishing compound disaster

Old 09-12-2009, 05:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Turtle wax polishing compound disaster

I have a black 04 coupe. Before I got it, it had been sitting in a parking lot for 3 months so it had really bad water spots that wouldn't come off with a clay bar. So I decided to polish them out, I went to checkers and bought the scratch x 2.0 and I gotta say it worked really good, I did a part of my hood with it using this Craftsman 10 in. Buffer/Polisher
and the water spots were thin outlines of what they once were, but it was a small bottle and I ran out. I needed more at 9 at night which is the time that checkers closes so I went to the drug store and got Turtle wax polishing compound, it was the only stuff they had. I used the same polisher with the same pad and used the turtle wax, IT DESTROYED MY PAINT. There are millions of little scratches. The paint is all hazy looking and I cant get it out again. Its the middles of the night but I tried washing it then waxing it and it didnt help at all. This is after buffing it to see if that would help, which it didn't. Im hoping scratchx will fix this as im gonna get it tomorrow. Anyone got any hints on polish to get to remove tiny swirlmark/scratches and waterspots?

Old 09-12-2009, 05:30 AM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Turtle wax polishing compound disaster

Kagen -check out the site here for discussion on maintenance. There are some instructions left by Wizards that should definitely help. Whatever you do, don't panic, remain calm and be patient with the process. The situation will get resolved.

In other words, don't do what I would do! Good luck.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:04 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Geez, why do they still sell this stuff???

See this thread: https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...se-polish.html

Specifically posts 9, 10 & 11. The original poster did the exact same thing you did, and fixed it with ScratchX 2.0. If you applied the TW compound more aggressively than he did you may need to step up to Meguiar's Ultimate Compound - don't let the word "compound" in the Meguiar's product scare you, it is TOTALLY different abrasives technology than the TW stuff. In fact, it's very similar to the ScratchX 2.0, just stronger. But it will NOT scratch your paint.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:26 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

I have never had a reason to use a power buffer on any car I owned my entire life. If I ever had paint that needed that much attention, I would hand polish it several times, sometimes even with a cleaner over a 2 or 3 week period. Each time it would look better until I felt it was were I wanted it.

Over the years I have witnessed results with an ambitous person with a power buffer.

James

Old 09-13-2009, 07:48 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by James1549
I have never had a reason to use a power buffer on any car I owned my entire life. If I ever had paint that needed that much attention, I would hand polish it several times, sometimes even with a cleaner over a 2 or 3 week period. Each time it would look better until I felt it was were I wanted it.

Over the years I have witnessed results with an ambitous person with a power buffer.

James
There are basically 3 kinds of machine buffers on the market:

1. Orbitals - like the one Kagen used here, don't have enough power to do much of anything on a modern clear coat except maybe spread your wax.

2. Dual Action - like the Porter Cable 7424 or Meguiar's G110 have enough power to remove swirls, fine scratches and even fairly severe defects with the right pad/liquid combination. They are very easy to use, and very easy to learn.

3. Rotary - the sort of tool body shops use after painting a car to remove wet sanding marks, etc. In the hands of a highly skilled user they will bring out the best possible shine, but in the hands of a novice they can be extremely dangerous and will burn through paint and/or damage trim before you know it.

Kagen's problem wasn't the machine, it was the compound he used. It is highly abrasive and will severely mar a clear coat even when used by hand. Our call center receives a high number of phone calls from people asking how to correct this very problem, and it isn't even our product!! You'd think they'd call Turtle Wax and ask how to fix the problem since it was a TW product that caused the damage in the first place!

Old 09-13-2009, 07:49 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: Turtle wax polishing compound disaster

You got ahold of rubbing compound and its coarse.

You can wash the pad out, go to low speed and use a polishing compound that is MILDer. I have several and dont remember the name, but the speed of the buffer needs to not be high, and not heavy handed. I could show you how, but I cant tell you how.

Go to a commercial paint place, we have maddos, and have them show you what and how they would use the material.

Woody

Old 09-13-2009, 09:04 PM
Senior Member/Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure that isn't Mattos?

Old 09-13-2009, 09:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

megs #80 speed glaze. it has diminishing abrasives that break down during use. it will remove scratches and swirls with a p/c 7424 and not harm the paint. then use some poorboy's black hole(specially formulated for dark color paints) and hand apply to entire car. leave for a couple hours to bond and wipe off with a microfiber. then use a good sealant like megs and then pure carnuba wax

Old 09-16-2009, 02:45 AM

The scratchx 2.0 did the trick to remove the scratches. But what would help with the water spots. The scratchx helped but the outline of the water spots is there, only in certain light.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:33 AM

I just used the Turtle wax compoung yesterday on my car after trying to get a couple of sratches out with Adam's swirl and haze remover and Meguiar's Scratch X, the Turtle Wax Compound did a fantastic job. I did use a Porter Cable, if used correctly it works well.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:36 PM
Senior Member/Moderator

You had a scratch? I just don't believe it!

Old 09-27-2009, 09:04 PM

That happened to all of us atleast once. This is how I do it on a black 08 Benz

This is what you need

Must have a good buffer & know how 2 use it.

Prep car w/clay before waxing Use bead X to lubricate clay

Then wipe it off in a 2x2 area then rince the car again. I.E. Only Rince the parts of the car you pasted.

Then buy some Ultimate car wax Quick Wax Meguiars.Make sure the car is not over heated at all and never wax in the sun. Once you apply the wax buff it out and the marks u made r now gone. It takes me about 8hr to do it all.