Detail Shop The place to talk about the daily care of your Crossfire and share the products you use to care for your Crossfire

Tire shine bad for your tires?

Old 10-28-2009, 09:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire shine bad for your tires?

Hi,

When i was at my local tire shop they told me that all tire shines.. with the exception of the michelin one ( the one they sell) will degrade the tires.. this being due to the presence of petroleum by-products? Is this true? or.. just a good sales pitch?

Last edited by brewski; 10-28-2009 at 09:38 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:35 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Tire shin bad for your tires?

Thats not a good sale pitch. I went to a tire shop that try to sells michelin tires. I told them that i wanted the nitto invo and they told me that they would no fit on my rims. They said the only tires I could get were the michelin ps2. Ya so I left and got the nittos and had them install them just to **** them off. I stood outside the bay to watch them put the tires on.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:42 PM
Default Re: Tire shin bad for your tires?

Originally Posted by cassidyrj1
Thats not a good sale pitch. I went to a tire shop that try to sells michelin tires. I told them that i wanted the nitto invo and they told me that they would no fit on my rims. They said the only tires I could get were the michelin ps2. Ya so I left and got the nittos and had them install them just to **** them off. I stood outside the bay to watch them put the tires on.
Damn straight!!

Old 10-31-2009, 12:32 AM
<--- Huge Horsepower
Default Re: Tire shine bad for your tires?

Dickey Lickers.........

Old 10-31-2009, 02:04 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

First off, they're assuming that ALL tire shine products contain some sort of petroleum distillate. Not true. But petroleum distillates and silicones are the two most misunderstood and maligned ingredients in the world. Neither is going to hurt your tires, dash, vinyl & rubber trim, etc provided you select a product from a well known manufacturer. Meguiar's, Mother's, Eagle One, Pinnacle, and even Armor All (plus many more) all make products with low shine, high shine or medium shine finishes. Some are water based, some are solvent based, but neither will harm anything. No such thing as a "silicone based" dressing, either, although most water based dressing contain some silicone.

Specifically with regard to tires, any browning of the sidewall is a function of the anti-ozonant material used during the manufacturing process. This component is designed to leech out through the sidewall to prevent the tire from damage due to UV exposure. But these components only leech out when the tire is moving and under load, which is why you see RV owners always covering their tires, and why in the RV industry tires are recommended to be replaced after a certain time period, regardless of mileage. Many large RVs sit stationary for very long periods of time so the anti-ozonants don't do their job properly.

It's also a common misconception that tire dressing cause browning of the side wall, and that's not true either. The browning (technically, blooming) is caused by these anti-ozonants doing their job and you trying to clean any residue from the surface. Any all purpose cleaner will reveal this blooming, and the level of blooming varies from tire to tire, with high mileage tires producing more blooming effect than tires rated for lower mileage (usually high performance tires). Applying a tire dressing that contains some cleaners, and failing to properly clean the side wall first, will also reveal the blooming. In fact, if your side wall is already starting to crack, the cracks can become more visible after applying a tire dressing, but the dressing itself won't cause the cracking.

Overall though, the terms "petroleum distillate" and "silicone" actually encompass a very wide variety of material with very different properties. Depending on the degree of distillation a petroleum distillate can be an extremely powerful solvent or it can be food grade. Yes, you can safely eat some petroleum distillates, and people have been rubbing them on babies bottoms for decades. I like to use the analogy of plants: just because poison ivy is a plant and you would never eat poison ivy, that doesn't mean you should never eat plants or that all plants are bad. Some plants are good to eat (downright healthy even), some not so good (I have a very strong aversion to Brussels sprouts), some only have parts that are good (you'd eat an apple but not the bark of the apple tree, right?) and others will kill you fairly quickly.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:06 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So Mike, does that mean tires aren't made from rubber plants?

j/k!

Old 11-01-2009, 02:31 PM
Senior Member/Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been using Stoner's for about 4 years now and have had no problems. I use an applicator so I don't waste it. You can do them as shiny or dull as you like.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:24 PM

So maybe this means that tire dressing might be as good for your tires as salad dressing is for me or you. Hmmm. I think I'll just drink another beer and forget about it.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike-in-Orange
First off, they're assuming that ALL tire shine products contain some sort of petroleum distillate. Not true. But petroleum distillates and silicones are the two most misunderstood and maligned ingredients in the world. Neither is going to hurt your tires, dash, vinyl & rubber trim, etc provided you select a product from a well known manufacturer. Meguiar's, Mother's, Eagle One, Pinnacle, and even Armor All (plus many more) all make products with low shine, high shine or medium shine finishes. Some are water based, some are solvent based, but neither will harm anything. No such thing as a "silicone based" dressing, either, although most water based dressing contain some silicone.

Specifically with regard to tires, any browning of the sidewall is a function of the anti-ozonant material used during the manufacturing process. This component is designed to leech out through the sidewall to prevent the tire from damage due to UV exposure. But these components only leech out when the tire is moving and under load, which is why you see RV owners always covering their tires, and why in the RV industry tires are recommended to be replaced after a certain time period, regardless of mileage. Many large RVs sit stationary for very long periods of time so the anti-ozonants don't do their job properly.

It's also a common misconception that tire dressing cause browning of the side wall, and that's not true either. The browning (technically, blooming) is caused by these anti-ozonants doing their job and you trying to clean any residue from the surface. Any all purpose cleaner will reveal this blooming, and the level of blooming varies from tire to tire, with high mileage tires producing more blooming effect than tires rated for lower mileage (usually high performance tires). Applying a tire dressing that contains some cleaners, and failing to properly clean the side wall first, will also reveal the blooming. In fact, if your side wall is already starting to crack, the cracks can become more visible after applying a tire dressing, but the dressing itself won't cause the cracking.

Overall though, the terms "petroleum distillate" and "silicone" actually encompass a very wide variety of material with very different properties. Depending on the degree of distillation a petroleum distillate can be an extremely powerful solvent or it can be food grade. Yes, you can safely eat some petroleum distillates, and people have been rubbing them on babies bottoms for decades. I like to use the analogy of plants: just because poison ivy is a plant and you would never eat poison ivy, that doesn't mean you should never eat plants or that all plants are bad. Some plants are good to eat (downright healthy even), some not so good (I have a very strong aversion to Brussels sprouts), some only have parts that are good (you'd eat an apple but not the bark of the apple tree, right?) and others will kill you fairly quickly.
Hey Mike, That is interesting info. Is it better for the tire to leave the browning on and not clean it off? Just wondering. Vern

Old 11-05-2009, 01:28 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Crosscar
Hey Mike, That is interesting info. Is it better for the tire to leave the browning on and not clean it off? Just wondering. Vern
No, you're perfectly safe cleaning it, and the tires will look better too. Once it's made its way to the surface it's job is done - the tire companies just haven't figured out how to make self cleaning tires yet! Well, at least not the side wall. You can spin 'em to clean the tread really well, which is common practice in drag racing of course. (yes, I know the main purpose is to heat them, but it also cleans them........ just avoiding the nit pickers out there!)