Detail Shop The place to talk about the daily care of your Crossfire and share the products you use to care for your Crossfire

Paint chips with rust

Old 09-14-2014, 10:12 PM
Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Paint chips with rust

Hey everyone!

I have some relatively small paint chips (rock chips) on the hood about 5 and two of those have visible rust underneath. What is the best way to get rid of the rust and touch up the chips? I have touch up paint mixed by a body shop in the color of my car. Tested it on a small area before, matches the car 100%.

Are kits like Langka or Dr. ColorChip any good in doing this? if so how do they work and what is still the best way to get rid of the rust?

I appreciate everyones help!

Thanks as always,
Nick

Old 09-15-2014, 09:15 PM
gig
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Paint chips with rust

yah i hear you same problem i have on my hood, i have about 8 of them they are very small , dont feel like painting the whole car cause rest of car is perfect

Old 09-18-2014, 10:22 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I tried the DR color chip on my Charger (Redline) and wasn't happy.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:00 AM

The company recommended by Chrysler is automotivetouchup.com, whose touchup paint I have acquired and am going to try as soon as I finish sanding out all the paint chips on the front bumper facia.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:09 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I tried that on my Crossfire (Graphite).
Close, but no cigar.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:57 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a pen available that has many strands of glass fibre that retract in and out of the pen tip as required. Very abrasive and it will remove the rust and get you down to the bare metal ready for touch up. I have used it will great success. Be careful not to work outside the area as it will quickly remove paint too. I bought mine many years ago at Canadian Tire. Similar to this one :
K-Tool International (KTI70550) Sanding Pen: Sanding Discs: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific K-Tool International (KTI70550) Sanding Pen: Sanding Discs: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Last edited by SparkieSRT6; 09-18-2014 at 02:00 PM.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by SparkieSRT6
There is a pen available that has many strands of glass fibre that retract in and out of the pen tip as required. Very abrasive and it will remove the rust and get you down to the bare metal ready for touch up. I have used it will great success. Be careful not to work outside the area as it will quickly remove paint too. I bought mine many years ago at Canadian Tire. Similar to this one :K-Tool International (KTI70550) Sanding Pen: Sanding Discs: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

OK that's a great tip. A friend told me about such a pen a while ago - will go to NAPA and hopefully find it there. Now, then what? I have the touch up paint from Chrysler but what is the best way to touch up the paint chip? Should I get a kit like Dr. ColorChip or Langka Paint chip repair?
Any ideas?

Old 09-19-2014, 08:50 AM

There are several videos on youtube that explain how to touch up paint chips and scratches.. I think the last one I watched was this one...
This guy does this type of stuff for a living and seems to work on some very expensive cars, plus his technique seems very solid. Once you get rid of the rust, you want to slowly build the paint back up, and will more than likely take several applications. Then once you have a little "bubble" of new paint, then you have to knock it back down some and reapply protectant(wax, etc). To do it right takes a bit of time. I have been doing a lot of research on this topic, and still haven't decided if I want to do it myself, or just break down and have the entire hood and front fascia completely redone(have a tone of scratches in the area under my front bumper/headlight area) by a paint shop around town.

Old 09-22-2014, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Xalidin
There are several videos on youtube that explain how to touch up paint chips and scratches.. I think the last one I watched was this one...Best Paint Touch-up Tricks: Mercedes G55 - YouTube This guy does this type of stuff for a living and seems to work on some very expensive cars, plus his technique seems very solid. Once you get rid of the rust, you want to slowly build the paint back up, and will more than likely take several applications. Then once you have a little "bubble" of new paint, then you have to knock it back down some and reapply protectant(wax, etc). To do it right takes a bit of time. I have been doing a lot of research on this topic, and still haven't decided if I want to do it myself, or just break down and have the entire hood and front fascia completely redone(have a tone of scratches in the area under my front bumper/headlight area) by a paint shop around town.
Very informative video. I appreciate you posting this. I will definitely be able to apply many of the tips given here. Even if I just took a touch up stick and painted over the very small and hardly visible rock chips it would look better than nothing at all!