Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Chrysler 3.5 V6 motor

Old 08-24-2006, 01:29 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrysler 3.5 V6 motor

Just doing research on the 3.5 chrysler v6, Is anybody here familiar with this engine? Anyone know of companies who offer aftermarket parts for it?

http://www.aa1car.com/library/2004/us110422.htm

I can imagine that there's a sh*t load of them in the junk yards. From reading the details it sure sounds like a heavy duty motor, i.e forged crankshaft, 4 bolt end caps, single SOHC's, 4 valve heads. Sure sounds like a work horse. It might be candidate for a serious build up and then swap into the XF.

Old 08-24-2006, 07:44 AM
Default Re: Chrysler 3.5 V6 motor

Why in the world would you swap a Chrysler V6 for a nicely tuned Mercedes-Benz 6?

Old 08-24-2006, 11:27 AM
Forum Regular

my crazy reasoning behind building one was is that it sounds like a better engine. 4 valve heads, variable intake just like the 3.2 MB, extra beefy lower end Ideal for boost applications, and if they are in the Sebrings, I bet I can get em cheap out of the junkyards or from the dealer.

Not to mention I believe this is the same engine used in the Plymouth Prowler, which I believe made 280-300 HP normally Aspirated sure as hell is a better foundation to build on than the 3.2 MB engine we're running in the XF.

You can also find the 3.5-liter high-output V6 SOHC engine with 250 horsepower in the standard 300 Touring and 300 Limited. So there still in production with plenty of parts available.

Last edited by dynamicS; 08-24-2006 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:08 PM
Forum Regular

http://www.prowlerpro.com

Offers parts and seems to have experience with supercharging and NOS. they're fogger kits puts the prowler at the same 0-60 time as the Viper, wow!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
stock2.jpg (31.3 KB, 145 views)

Last edited by dynamicS; 08-24-2006 at 12:13 PM.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an '05 Chrysler 300 touring that has a 3.5 it has good pickup i like it.

Old 08-24-2006, 05:30 PM
Forum Regular

Well it sounds like a promising motor. I like the forged crank for boost hehe...
I think I'll go rummaging the yards this weekend and see what I can find, it that turns up nothing I'll get employee pricing on a new block from the local dealer, and compare the SRT motor.
Hmm... I wonder what the specs on the prowler cams are compared to stock sebring or 300's?

Old 08-24-2006, 08:32 PM
Forum Regular

May be a big project to undertake. Got to consider motor mounts, engine height, width, depth, transmission bell housing, etc. You may acquire the engine for cheap but end up spending a pretty penny to get it to work with the car. Probably end up cheaper just to get a Kleeman Supercharger and get very good results.

Old 08-24-2006, 09:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With so many posts about issues with the ECU/ESP/ABS etc... How easy would it be to try mate this engine with the Crossfire electronics?

Old 08-24-2006, 09:58 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SRT SIX
With so many posts about issues with the ECU/ESP/ABS etc... How easy would it be to try mate this engine with the Crossfire electronics?
I would use my own ECU, the ESP and ABS might have their own computers.

Old 08-24-2006, 10:04 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SRT6_Roadster
May be a big project to undertake. Got to consider motor mounts, engine height, width, depth, transmission bell housing, etc. You may acquire the engine for cheap but end up spending a pretty penny to get it to work with the car. Probably end up cheaper just to get a Kleeman Supercharger and get very good results.
Yes that's true about being a big project, as long as your having fun...but my greatest limitation is time.
motor mounts can be made, along with bell housing adapters. Otherwise finding another manual trans that mates to this motor could be used.

The SRT6 motor is looking like a better option I know. I was just amazed at how beefy the Chrysler 3.5L is and started drooling.

Old 08-25-2006, 10:26 PM

i had a '99 chrysler LHS with this motor in it. wow, it was quite a powerhouse for a v-6. and believe me the LHS is quite a bit heavier than the xf. i was apprehensive when i bought the LHS but it was identical inside to the 300 with the same engine. i was so impressed with the 3.5, i think it would make the xf a real rocket but the price would be astronomical. the 3.5 is a very reliable engine as well. i put 100,000 miles on that LHS before i traded it in on a dodge ram hemi. never had the first problem with the engine. did have to replace the rack and pinion ($1,200.00), compressor ($800.00), and ECU ($450.00) but the engine was a gem!!

Old 08-25-2006, 11:20 PM
Forum Regular

hell yeah! now your making me want to build one, put a real chrysler motor in the XF!!

Old 08-25-2006, 11:52 PM
Forum Regular

my family car is a 2006 charger with the 3.5 ho. it has 250 hp, and is probably similar to the chrysler 3.5!

Old 08-26-2006, 03:26 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dynamicS
The SRT6 motor is looking like a better option I know.
I agree, but I'm afraid of the electronics swap, even with mine as gutted as it is, all I can imagine is having the bright shiny AMG motor and blower installed and listening to it crank, crank, crank.

Silly as it may sound, I'm thinking of dropping a TC Ford 289 with drivetrain into the car when I blow the 170 engine (eventually) that way I don't have to fiddle with a bunch of crazy computer programming. And performance parts are cheap and readily available. the dimensions of the engine will work within the bay.

I estimate 350 hp for less than 7k with a 289.

Old 08-26-2006, 03:52 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by HDDP
agree, but I'm afraid of the electronics swap, even with mine as gutted as it is, all I can imagine is having the bright shiny AMG motor and blower installed and listening to it crank, crank, crank.

Silly as it may sound, I'm thinking of dropping a TC Ford 289 with drivetrain into the car when I blow the 170 engine (eventually) that way I don't have to fiddle with a bunch of crazy computer programming. And performance parts are cheap and readily available. the dimensions of the engine will work within the bay.

I estimate 350 hp for less than 7k with a 289.
Well it doesn't sound like a bad idea...
I personally don't mind all the electronics during a swap, and enjoy learning about the aftermarket ECU's, but I've yet to price the SRT6 engine, and I'm sure even with a 20% discount at the dealer it will cost me $5,000 in the crate. throw in the stand alone ECU and misc parts, and the total is about $7,000.
How much is a Kleenman conversion anyways?

Who knows if the stock 6 speed can handle an extra 110 hp? If you throw in that 289, I wonder if the rear end can hold together under the extra torque? You might be better off searching for another car, could get a used late model Mustang GT with all the factory beefy parts installed and ready to go, then gut the sucker. If that's not enough they are easy to Supercharge with their huge aftermarket following.

Last edited by dynamicS; 08-26-2006 at 04:03 PM.
Old 08-26-2006, 04:20 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dynamicS
Well it doesn't sound like a bad idea...
I personally don't mind all the electronics during a swap, and enjoy learning about the aftermarket ECU's, but I've yet to price the SRT6 engine, and I'm sure even with a 20% discount at the dealer it will cost me $5,000 in the crate. throw in the stand alone ECU and misc parts, and the total is about $7,000.
How much is a Kleenman conversion anyways?

Who knows if the stock 6 speed can handle an extra 110 hp? If you throw in that 289, I wonder if the rear end can hold together under the extra torque? You might be better off searching for another car, could get a used late model Mustang GT with all the factory beefy parts installed and ready to go, then gut the sucker. If that's not enough they are easy to Supercharge with their huge aftermarket following.
I researched this in depth over a year ago when I was in discussions with DC to sponsor my car.

Retail price on a new AMG 3.2 crate motor is $12k. All of the other associated hardware, and plumbing for the SC upgrade brings the total to a little over 17k. Then you have to swap the ECU, just to run the engine and because there are auto trans vs manual trans computers that are associated, you get into an entire new set of bugaboos.

We determined that it was cheaper and easier to build a custom manual transmission for the SRT6 than it was to swap an AMG motor into the N/A Crossfire.

Now, not to say you can't slap a SRT6 SC and associated hardware onto your motor and have it run. But, you're still going to have to deal with the ECU FAM before it will even fire-up.

MOTEC makes an engine management system for MB.

Old 08-26-2006, 06:07 PM
Forum Regular

Have you managed to get pricing on individual parts, like the crank, rods, and cams from the SRT6?

I don't know, I think the crossfire is a great platform to build on, it's just the initial costs of making more Hp will cost more than most other cars.
But then there's the handling of other vehicles, which most may never come close to the Limited XF's suspension or brakes, so then you end up spending more in that area instead of engine components. So in the end, if you want a race car I think everyone pays about the same amount to be at similar power or handling levels.

Well, I've been scoping out the 350Z forums, and those guys are using Vortec kits on their motors. The tuned S/C setup for 350z with labor will run you about $7,000, and that's only the kit installed with dyno tuning. I don't even think that motor has a forged crank, and it's not even using a supercharged camshafts, (tag on another $2,000 or so for that), so IMHO the SRT6 crate motor is the way to go if you want to get boosted!!
The srt6 has been engineered for boost, so who knows how long those 350Z motors will last with a vortec set up?

Last edited by dynamicS; 08-26-2006 at 07:48 PM.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:46 PM
Forum Regular

I took a G35 out the other day, been awhile since I was in one. I forgot how cheap and crappy the interior is on the G35's and 350Z's. Also lots of kick back in the steering and for the how poor the ride quality was I would expect better handling than it provided.

Old 08-27-2006, 01:26 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SRT6_Roadster
I took a G35 out the other day, been awhile since I was in one. I forgot how cheap and crappy the interior is on the G35's and 350Z's. Also lots of kick back in the steering and for the how poor the ride quality was I would expect better handling than it provided.
It just has nice seats, lol.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:55 PM
Forum Regular

I found this thread in a google search. I have a 3.5 I installed in my vw vanagon- currently modifying the ecu ccd system. The donor is a 94 vision tsi. it is mid-engined, under the back seat. you can see it come to fruition here: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/vanagon-lhs/
I'm not fishing for members or hits- there are just so few people setting the 3.5 in other vehicles that I had to share- even though I just now realized this was posted in 06.--I would like to discuss the electrics with someone besides myself. this is my first narrative scrapbook of the project, if youre interested: TheSamba.com :: View topic - my middie
I get so much disinterest from the automotive electrical community and the dealerships that I hunt for discussions like this one. I am over halfway through this electronic job and it is sorting itsself out nicely as I go. thanks--todd w. carlsbad, ca.

Last edited by thummmper; 06-22-2012 at 01:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Chrysler 3.5 V6 motor