Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Is this the dreaded intercooler leak?

Old 12-19-2010, 05:43 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Is this the dreaded intercooler leak?

Opinions needed. This is my old Y pipe which I replaced today. The intake manifolds looked clean to me but the entrance to and Y pipe itself had a lava floe of this stuff. It has some green color mixed in. So, is it time to go looking for a replacement intercooler?

Les

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0552.JPG (2.43 MB, 115 views)
Old 12-19-2010, 06:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Is this the dreaded intercooler leak?

no opinion needed les. time to pull the i/c and pressure test it to confirm what you already know

Old 12-19-2010, 06:33 PM

Cr@p cr@p CR@P!!! Who has one?

Les

Old 12-19-2010, 06:37 PM

i did a quick look on ebay nothing there. new 1 runs about 800$ if i remember correctly.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:47 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Yup, that's coolant alright. Sorry but it's time to replace it. It would be nice if it could just be repaired but nobody has been successful doing so.

Now for the why, why, why question... Why do you guys run regular coolant in your cars? I have yet to see someone have this issue with the MB coolant whether it is the factory blue stuff or the replacement amberish-clear stuff. I know you're all probably wondering why it matters but the fact is that the green coolant does not have the anti-corrosion properties that MB coolant has. Everyone is careful to not use conventional oil in their motors but when it comes to coolant, they never think twice about using the green stuff.

Since you have to replace the IC, I'd recommend flushing out your system completely and then switching back to the recommended MB coolant before you swap it out. No reason to run the old crap through the new one and you're gonna have to drop the coolant anyways.

Good luck

Old 12-19-2010, 07:04 PM

Now Rudy, you apparently don't know that my car has 6000 miles and has the factory fill. (blue stuff) If I decide to put the car back to stock and take it to the dealer, I doubt they'll even admit I have a problem. To tell the truth, I'd rather fix it myself. I don't think the leak is severe since I've only had to add fluid (distilled water BTW) when I added a gallon capacity heat exchanger and separated the coolant system. None before or after. That's the reason I'm a bit perplexed by the goo. But goo doesn't lie. I guess I'm going shopping. Any ideas where to find one or leads will be appreciated.

Les

Old 12-19-2010, 07:04 PM

Just took a look through DCSP and I can get one for about $575. I'll have to call tomorrow and confirm price as they haven't sold one in the last 90 days so don't quote me on that but hopefully the price has either stayed the same or gone down some. It doesn't happen often but I've been surprised before. Let me know if you want me get one lined up for you.

Take care

Old 12-19-2010, 07:11 PM

I'm going to sleep on it and I'll let you know when you have a final number. That's a fair price for a new one ..... I surmise. Whatever I decide I want it to go to Rob for some thermal treatment on the underbelly. If I have to take everything apart a little porting will have to be done! Lemonade!

Les

Old 12-19-2010, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by velociabstract
Now Rudy, you apparently don't know that my car has 6000 miles and has the factory fill. (blue stuff) If I decide to put the car back to stock and take it to the dealer, I doubt they'll even admit I have a problem. To tell the truth, I'd rather fix it myself. I don't think the leak is severe since I've only had to add fluid (distilled water BTW) when I added a gallon capacity heat exchanger and separated the coolant system. None before or after. That's the reason I'm a bit perplexed by the goo. But goo doesn't lie. I guess I'm going shopping. Any ideas where to find one or leads will be appreciated.

Les
My apologies Les, I knew you added the HE and the goo is really green in the picture so I just assumed you went with the generic green stuff. You are the first person I've heard of losing an IC with the factory coolant so far and with the number of miles on your ride, this makes absolutely no sense. I'll call the depo tomorrow and see if the price is current and if you want me to get it on it's way to you, shoot me a PM with your address so I can find out what shipping is.

Take care

Old 12-19-2010, 07:24 PM

rudy maybe a call to jason at buckhead imports is in order. he had mentioned to me he knew of a company in cali that was rebuilding i/c units and wanted a bad 32 unit to send to them and see if it could be repaired. might be a good time to find out.

les this is a couple months old but he still may have the 2 used units c32 same as the srt-6
http://www.mbworld.org/forums/engine...arger-etc.html

Last edited by 32krazy!; 12-19-2010 at 07:30 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:37 PM

I sent Chamm a PM for some of his parts when he first posted and he was asking way too much for me. I may give him another try .... but truthfully? If it's not a screaming bargain I'd rather have a new one. No since taking a chance on getting a piece of junk.

Les

Old 12-19-2010, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by velociabstract
I sent Chamm a PM for some of his parts when he first posted and he was asking way too much for me. I may give him another try .... but truthfully? If it's not a screaming bargain I'd rather have a new one. No since taking a chance on getting a piece of junk.

Les
completely agree. i picked my spare up from importlabsrt for super cheap and i hope to never use it. cost for new is a heartbreaker!

sorry had the wrong member listed.

Last edited by 32krazy!; 12-19-2010 at 08:52 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:10 PM

I noticed your buying up everything in sight. Leave a little for the rest of us!

Les

Old 12-20-2010, 06:36 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: Is this the dreaded intercooler leak?

I would love to examine your old one and evaluate it - No charge. With a separated cooler the pressures should be lower and the chance to leak would be much less.

Personally Id love to see the core to see how hard it would be to repair. The factory welded it from the outside and so the welding ( TIGing ) should not be too too hard.

Let me know, If I could repair it, Would not charge you, just make a photo spread of it for the group. Woody

I run Green and I flushed the system. I believe that it may not be due to cracks but instead, corrosion caused by electrolysis. I added LOW percentage antifreeze per my posting to increase the specific heat of my intercooler coolant. There was water pump lubricant and rust inhibitor added at the same time to my Green antifreeze - prestone. It worked ofr the P-51 mustang and I have faith that it is not the real cause for the last 3 years. Looks like MILK and my fluid without a separate expansion tank is milky, FYI/

Woody

Old 12-20-2010, 09:52 AM

woody if les' i/c wont work 240m3srt had a leaking i/c for sale for 75$. i would be willing to buy it and send it to you and let you have your way with it. if it means finding a fix its worth the cost

Old 12-20-2010, 11:02 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I haven't seen one up close and personal, but there has to be a weak point in there causing this...I would think you could tig whereever that is, and add some material...but just a guess until we could actually see one..

Old 12-20-2010, 11:42 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Before you go spending any hard earned money pressure check that sucker so you are sure that's it. A bucket of water and a few fittings, who knows maybe it's just some jungle rot, so humid down there. Verify, then spend.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Several C32 owners claim that it's from running the car hard when the temp is below 20 degrees. Supposedly this was thought to be the cause of most, but not all cracks/leaks. I know a lot of owners that drive their cars in winter without a problem, but it sounds reasonable.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:41 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Les, are you running a catch can from Rob? If not....well, you should...lol

Old 12-20-2010, 03:52 PM

My car thinks 70º is freezing! I don't think cold has anything to do with it. If I had to make a guess it would be from sitting for 2 years or a manufacturing defect. I'd hate to buy a new intercooler then discover I don't need one once the car is apart; but it would be worse to get the car apart and need one without having one ready to go. I haven't checked my heat exchanger level for a few months so I'll do it and report back later.
I have a Needswings catch can installed for over a year. When I installed it I didn't see any crud in the manifolds.

Les

Last edited by velociabstract; 12-20-2010 at 03:54 PM. Reason: catchcan

Quick Reply: Is this the dreaded intercooler leak?