Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Oil filter - paper vs. fiberglass / fleece

Old 10-02-2009, 08:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil filter - paper vs. fiberglass / fleece

I was reading about oil filters and I was wondering what everyone's opinion is about how long a paper filter will last. I just got my car about 3 mo. ago and did an oil change with mobil 1 0W-40 and ended up buying a Wix filter which im pretty sure is paper at this point. Model #(51226). I'm not sure if i will last the 7000 miles to the next oil change with this filter. Any thoughts or recommendations on what i can/should do?

Btw, I will most likely be buying K & N oil filters from amazon next time around.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:29 PM
Talking Re: Oil filter - paper vs. fiberglass / fleece

Maybe change only your filter at 3500 miles are so, to be on the safe side. I use the wix filter last time, but it was a fleece, made in germany on it and same as the napa filter.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:24 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Oil filter - paper vs. fiberglass / fleece

Use NAPA 7078 or Wix 57078.

Old 10-03-2009, 12:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it filters the lifeblood of your car. use mann fleece filters and dont scrimp on paper filters.

Old 10-03-2009, 04:38 PM

I have the paper one in my car too. I figure if it is ok for the n/a crossfire, it should be ok for my car until the next change. What is the oil change intervals in the N/A's according to the service manual, 7500? If so, then you don't need to change it out at 3500.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:42 PM

thanks a lot guys i'll have to swap mine out then its getting dangerously close to that time.

Old 10-06-2009, 03:48 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The fleece filters were developed for extended oil change intervals (20-40K km!). A paper filter is fine for the more common Crossfire maintenance interval of around 7.5K miles. No need to change it before your next oil change.

Old 10-06-2009, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Rob M
The fleece filters were developed for extended oil change intervals (20-40K km!). A paper filter is fine for the more common Crossfire maintenance interval of around 7.5K miles. No need to change it before your next oil change.
Are you sure? I've read elsewhere on the forum that some members have had their paper filters "disintegrate" around 5000 miles. i just dont want to take any chances w/my baby lol.

Old 10-06-2009, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by xodus52
Are you sure? I've read elsewhere on the forum that some members have had their paper filters "disintegrate" around 5000 miles. i just dont want to take any chances w/my baby lol.
if theres any chance of hurting the car why risk it? whats the paper filter cost? 7$? fleece filters are 15$ and the only filter m/b recommends for its engines. why risk any issues for 8$?

Old 10-06-2009, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
if theres any chance of hurting the car why risk it? whats the paper filter cost? 7$? fleece filters are 15$ and the only filter m/b recommends for its engines. why risk any issues for 8$?
thats not the issue. i'll be using fleece next time. my problem is whether or not to pull the filter and change it mid oil cycle right now or if i'll be fine until next change on a 7k cycle.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:13 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Positive. As far as I can tell there are no reported paper filter failures anywhere in the forum. Please provide link to thread documenting actual disintegration of filters.

Keep in mind that the same manufacturers that make fleece filters, e.g. Mann, also make paper filters for your engine. A few years ago MB started selling cars that had really long service intervals (like 13K miles or longer), roughly double that of your Crossfire. The more durable fleece filters were indicated for use in those applications.

I have used a paper filter for the past year (will change oil sometime this fall), because that is all the automotive store had, but have put less than 3K miles in that time. I do have a couple fleece filters for future use ($13 each, no need to spend more than that) but don't have any lack of confidence in the paper filters. After all, the vast majority of new vehicles on the road today still use paper as a filtering medium and most have oil change intervals comparable to that of the Crossfire.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:56 PM

Here's one out of a few:

Originally Posted by BlueStorm
yeah it could be new oil, they may not have drained it to well...I wouldn't worry about it just find a private mechanic with good rep. next time.

synthetic oil never wears out, just get's dirty. The most important part is the oil filter, Only use the Fleece filters , do not use paper filters in this engine, they will disintegrate or blow out from the very high oil pressure. the pump puts out like over 120 psi at idle no paper ellement will survive this.

They are made by Mann filters, I buy them online at Rockautoparts.com

So is there any real problem with fuel pressure?

Old 10-06-2009, 11:46 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 448 Likes on 315 Posts

Fleece filters all the way.
The only ones I will use.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:58 PM
Forum Regular

Eh i use paper filters in every car i have ever owned including my old 96 sohc dodge neon that had 280,000 miles on it when i sold it because i wanted a new car and i got tired of waiting for the thing to kick the bucket . Now oil is a different story all i have ever used is mobil 1 or AMS oil. but for the crossifre i stuck with the 0w40 mobil 1(truck oil) for the 3 oil changes so far.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
I'm seeing original equipment oil filters for CLK320 and other Mercedes with the 3.2 engine on-line, e.g. at OE Discount, for $11.25. See OE Discount Parts.

Is there any reason to think these would not be fleece filters if that's what MB specifies?

Old 10-15-2009, 10:19 PM

I also disagree that paper will disintegrate. I've used paper all my life in my cars, millions of miles, generally oil changed minimum at 5K, but usually at 7500, and not one did I ever see any issue. Would fleece be better? who knows by itself, but I have never once seen a paper filter "blow out". If I was racing this car-maybe fleece. But in general commuting-nah.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:41 PM
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueStorm

.....Only use the Fleece filters , do not use paper filters in this engine, they will disintegrate or blow out from the very high oil pressure. the pump puts out like over 120 psi at idle no paper ellement will survive this.

120 psi? Can this be verified by anyone here?

Old 10-16-2009, 09:17 AM
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts

As I crawled into bed last night, I remembered something. My 79 jeep with the 258 six, when cold, would peg the 80 pound pressure gauge on startup. When hot, it would idle at 35 psi and run 55 psi at 60 mph.

I guess 120 psi isn't all that out of the question.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:39 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mercedes auto parts - Mercedes Benz parts and accessories.

MANN filters ...$12.96.....This is the CORRECT filter....O-rings fit, etc.

No shipping charge.....have purchased from them before & no problems....just ordered another 10 filters.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:44 AM

yeah, think about it, the HP Mustangs, vettes, viper all use paper filteres, but the Cross of course is SO special it needs a sheep to give up its' coat. That doesn't make much sense. And if it did desintegrate, you can bet that I'd make a claim to the mfg for a defective product. They make the size, for the Cross, so bottom line it's supposed to work just fine. these filters are not Chinese poor quality junk.

Quick Reply: Oil filter - paper vs. fiberglass / fleece