Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Battery Light comes on when I accelerate

Old 09-18-2012, 10:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Light comes on when I accelerate

My battery light came on today on the interstate after accelerating. I just put a brand new battery and alternator on the car so Im confused as to why it would come on. Any help would be appreciated!

Old 09-18-2012, 10:48 AM
Default Re: Battery Light comes on when I accelerate

One more thing- Does anyone know if the connector to the back of the Alternator is supposed to have more than one wire?

Old 09-18-2012, 11:24 AM
Administrator
Received 877 Likes on 683 Posts

You have provided insufficient information for us to help you.

Did it come on and stay on?
Is it still on?
Was this a one-time event or is it a constant problem?
Why did you replace the alternator AND battery? (That is, what is the "backstory" here.)
Is the belt tension right? (That is, did the light come on because the belt was slipping.)

Fill us in on what is really going on!

Old 09-18-2012, 11:47 AM

My old alternator went bacd a few weeks ago and it caused the battery to go bad as well. We replaced everything ourselves on my 2006 Crossfire. (The parts were orginal) After we replaced the first Alternator the lights would dim in and out and so we were told it was a faulty Voltage regulator- so I ordered another one-after installing this one last night the lights were fine but this morning I was on the interstate and the battery light came on and as soon as I slowed down it went off. So I punched it again to see what would happen and it came on again. So it only comes on when I accelerate the vehicle in high speeds. The lights no longer flicker. Its just the battery light now.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Ok, now to research and see just what lights the light. I don't beleive it is like the 70's where the light only meant a "no charging" condition.
Take, for instance, the light on the left that looks like a radiator. When lit, it can mean the coolant level is low, it can also mean that the ECM has lost contact with or senses a failure in, the fan control module.

If you could monitor the system voltage while driving and see what happens to the voltage when the light is on and off, it would be a helluva clue.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:30 PM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisparker85
One more thing- Does anyone know if the connector to the back of the Alternator is supposed to have more than one wire?
I think there are three wires, they may be in one connector.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:32 PM

OK. Ill try that. Im really wondering if I need to get a new belt because I had to take it off a few times.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:57 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you replace the serpentine belt? Sounds like it may be slipping on acceleration.

Contamination? Oil?

Tensioner?

Old 09-18-2012, 10:59 PM

Alright after checking the voltage the battery light would come on as soon as the car hit 2000 RPMS it would also lower the voltage to 12.2 to 12.3. However I tried this after i got home. Today when i started the car after work the battery light stayed on and didnt go off until 12 miles later. Pep Boys tested the Alternator and the battery and said they were fine but it seems like the alternator isnt charging the battery the way its supposed to while driving it?

Old 09-19-2012, 01:24 AM

Alright after checking the voltage the battery light would come on as soon as the car hit 2000 RPMS it would also lower the voltage to 12.2 to 12.3. However I tried this after i got home. Today when i started the car after work the battery light stayed on and didnt go off until 12 miles later. Pep Boys tested the Alternator and the battery and said they were fine but it seems like the alternator isnt charging the battery the way its supposed to while driving it?
Have you inspected the cables and grounds at the battery? There may be corrosion that may not be visible even inside the insulation.

If the voltage drops it may mean that the supplied battery power is too low when the car needs more power. This may be due to poor wires not capable of carrying that voltage.
Not enough power makes it to the battery so the alternator supplies the need directly.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:47 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: Battery Light comes on when I accelerate

Simple test at home:

With the car running, you should be able to remove the battery negative terminal and have the alternator produce enough to keep car running. I though that the regulator was internal?? Wiring connector/connections may be your area to check out.

Woody

Old 09-19-2012, 09:03 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by waldig
Simple test at home:

With the car running, you should be able to remove the battery negative terminal and have the alternator produce enough to keep car running. I though that the regulator was internal?? Wiring connector/connections may be your area to check out.

Woody
Do NOT do this!!!
The battery is there to mellow out the imperfect voltage signal the alternator puts out. An alternator produces AC voltage that is simply clipped to give a DC type of equivalent signal by the voltage regulator. It does not actually produce a constant battery like DC feed. Your electronics will not like it. It may or may not stay running. It may or may not cause immediate damage, but all it takes is a split second and a module is done.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:09 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFreak69
Do NOT do this!!!
The battery is there to mellow out the imperfect voltage signal the alternator puts out. An alternator produces AC voltage that is simply clipped to give a DC type of equivalent signal by the voltage regulator. It does not actually produce a constant battery like DC feed. Your electronics will not like it. It may or may not stay running. It may or may not cause immediate damage, but all it takes is a split second and a module is done.
+1 to that ( sorry Woody )
The best check is to measure the battery voltage with the engine off, should be 12v or a bit better.
Start the engine, voltage should be 14.3-14.8 volts, if not, alternator is not putting out.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:54 PM
Forum Regular

I've posted a couple of time about this issue which I have as well. New battery, cables and alternator installed. I'm out a few $$ without correcting the problem (?) but the good news is that it hasn't been an issue as far as driving even on long trips.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:52 PM

I tried the Voltage last night and it stayed at 11.7- I also took the plug out of the back of the Alternator and it only has one blue wire in it? Is that Normal? When I started the car with out it in the battery light stayed off then came back on once I put it in. Pep Boys tested it again and they said both are good. Could it be the plug that inserts in the back of the Alternator? I have pictures but cant figure out how to really put them up.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:32 PM

I tried the Voltage last night and it stayed at 11.7- I also took the plug out of the back of the Alternator and it only has one blue wire in it? Is that Normal? When I started the car with out it in the battery light stayed off then came back on once I put it in. Pep Boys tested it again and they said both are good. Could it be the plug that inserts in the back of the Alternator? I have pictures but cant figure out how to really put them up.
The blue wire is what makes the bulb in the dash light up. There is a black wire from the alternator to the battery and a black wire to the battery.
See 2004 Repair Manual 8W-20-2.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
+1 to that ( sorry Woody )
The best check is to measure the battery voltage with the engine off, should be 12v or a bit better.
Start the engine, voltage should be 14.3-14.8 volts, if not, alternator is not putting out.
This test was very helpful. Thanks

Old 05-26-2018, 10:19 PM

I have the same problem when I accelerate battery idiot lite comes on. It actually comes on when there is increased load on the engine... once above 2000 if increasing speed light comes on then when I stabilize speed it goes off and stays off. If I put it on cruise it's fine. Now when I go over 80 it starts to flicker more constant. I am beginning to think it's related to the blower. If you accelerate the blower comes on and light comes on. If you easy up to speed no light. I know the blower wont' come on until you reach a certain rpm and theres load on the engine. What rpms does blower come on. Another thing revving the car in park up to 4000 repeatedly will not set off the light. In park blower doesn't come on. I've racked my brain on this and it is starting to point to blower. Everything else is new and checked out. How could the blower impact voltage? PLEASE HELP I AM AT WITS END!!!

Old 05-26-2018, 11:02 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by gkarr45
I have the same problem when I accelerate battery idiot lite comes on. It actually comes on when there is increased load on the engine... once above 2000 if increasing speed light comes on then when I stabilize speed it goes off and stays off. If I put it on cruise it's fine. Now when I go over 80 it starts to flicker more constant. I am beginning to think it's related to the blower. If you accelerate the blower comes on and light comes on. If you easy up to speed no light. I know the blower wont' come on until you reach a certain rpm and theres load on the engine. What rpms does blower come on. Another thing revving the car in park up to 4000 repeatedly will not set off the light. In park blower doesn't come on. I've racked my brain on this and it is starting to point to blower. Everything else is new and checked out. How could the blower impact voltage? PLEASE HELP I AM AT WITS END!!!
What "blower" are you talking about?

Old 05-27-2018, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by gkarr45
Forget the super charger as the cause of the battery lite, I assume it is the battery lite and not the check engine lite.
The SC will not come on in park, why should it as there is no need for more power. The SC comes on when driving at around 2,500 rpm I think and stays on until it is in park again I think that is what has been said by Woody.
Your problems are in the charging circuit, bad battery, alternator, regulator or wiring.
That’s what I think anyway.

Quick Reply: Battery Light comes on when I accelerate