Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Should I buy a Crank Position Sensor

Old 08-27-2014, 08:56 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Should I buy a Crank Position Sensor

Originally Posted by Indelibility
Yes! Order a Bosh sensor and keep it, and the tools to swap it in your glove compartment. It's a 5 minute roadside fix and you'll thank yourself later.

And it's on sale for $35. Your Parts Search Returned 2 Part(s)
Does the same part fit the 2007 Crossfire Limited Roadster. Thanks for your help!

Old 08-27-2014, 09:00 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Yes, same CPS on ALL years / models of the Crossfire.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:57 AM

new on here so hope u guys can help. I replaced to CPS as like all our cars this goes bad. After replacement it sounds like there is an exhaust leak. So i thought maybe I got a bad one (my luck lol). So I replaced again. Still sounds the same. Also AC goes on and off constantly and showing code for low voltage to 02. Its driving me nuts. Any Ideas???

Old 01-16-2017, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Indelibility
Yes! Order a Bosh sensor and keep it, and the tools to swap it in your glove compartment. It's a 5 minute roadside fix and you'll thank yourself later.
5-minute roadside fix ?

I have so far spent several hours trying to remove the bolt that holds it in on my SRT without success. Do you have any special trick you use? Getting hands in there is almost impossible. getting enough leverage on the E8 Torx bolt to loosen it IS impossible, at least that is my experience. All the time I'm trying to loosen this bolt I am terrified that I might succeed because of how tough it will be to put it back ...

Why the heck did they put this bolt UNDER the CPS so you cannot see it or access it ??

Any help you can offer will be appreciated.

Old 01-16-2017, 03:46 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

I removed the metal guard by removing the two bell housing bolts so I could get to it, but then, that's just me.
And I have already made the statement about why the design engineer decided to hide the bolt.
Germans getting back at us, I guess.

( I did put the guard back when I was done )

Old 01-16-2017, 05:23 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
And I have already made the statement about why the design engineer decided to hide the bolt.
Germans getting back at us, I guess.

( I did put the guard back when I was done )
I guess we should be glad they didn't put it in a spot to where we would have to pull the engine to get to it, haha that would suck.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:18 PM

Thanks.

Yes, I had removed that shield/bolts already.

I just managed to get the job done. I figured my problem might be that I was using a 3/8 " Socket. Managed to get a 1/4" and got it done! My bolt was in super tight so getting the leverage was a problem.

My arms are beat to death - bruised and scratched up, but I got it done. Car starts !!

Thanks for your advice.

I reckon they likely put that E8 bolt where they put it to try to make you pay the dealership $500 to do this fix, that would otherwise be fairly simple ....!

Old 01-17-2017, 06:18 AM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by Whipy
Why the heck did they put this bolt UNDER the CPS so you cannot see it or access it ??
Considering the physical location & secondary vibrational forces from engine, securing the CPS from the underside is probably a better fastening method that from topside. Difficulty in removing it probably more akin to exposure to heat, similar to removing an oxygen sensor. CPS was probably mounted to engine prior to engine being dropped into car & only the pigtail had to be connected. Might be a good practice to use an anti-seize paste on the screw threads, especially since part is probably a recurring failure over time. I could be convinced to just replace the CPS every 4-5 years, depending on mileage incurred during ownership.

My $0.02.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:46 AM
Thumbs up Re: Should I buy a Crank Position Sensor

Originally Posted by Bay Cruise
I cant find Bosch ones on eBay and for $50 its probably worth having a spare if needed. However I will wait to hear from the more experienced on this forum, but if the Bosch is a lot more it's probably not worth it till it fails, if it ever does.

Must add that I don't rate Bosch as I have had a number (5 or 6 items) of their home appliances, I know thats different to car parts, but all have failed early and cheaper products have continued to work on and on.......you don't always get what you pay for !!!

I do stand to be corrected by you guys who have much more experience than me and I will probably do what's recommended here.
You will be hard pressed to find a more knowledgeable member that ala_xfire. Listen to him and buy a Bosch. Guess I should have read more post, duh. Disregard.

Last edited by djohn14296; 01-17-2017 at 06:53 AM.