Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Ignition key gets stuck / throttle cable module

Old 07-30-2015, 05:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition key gets stuck / throttle cable module

Hi all,

I have a 2004 Crossfire, I noticed my Shifter cable came loose from were the key is inserted (the module box where the cable connects right behind where the key is inserted to start the car) When I plug the cable back in, the key gets locked and I cant take it off the ignition. Is it the Skim Module? Can someone please help me with advise.

Thanks.

Last edited by REYMARTZ; 07-31-2015 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:38 PM
Administrator
Received 877 Likes on 683 Posts
Default Re: Ignition key gets stuck / throttle cable module

I'm lost here -there is no throttle cable in our cars. Do you mean the wiring harness at the back of the ignition switch/steering lock assembly?

Old 07-31-2015, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
I'm lost here -there is no throttle cable in our cars. Do you mean the wiring harness at the back of the ignition switch/steering lock assembly?

Sorry, I mean my shift cable that connects to a box behind were the key is inserted to turn on the car.

Old 07-31-2015, 03:06 PM
Administrator
Received 877 Likes on 683 Posts

I"ve only torn apart cars with manual transmissions. I THOUGHT the shift interlock on the autos was electrical, not mechanical.
In fact, I was sure of it.

Waiting for RedDog or someone else to see this....

Old 07-31-2015, 03:17 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

From the book..... "The ignition lock control cable attached to the Shift Lever Assembly prevents the driver from removing the ignition key if the selector lever is not in the Park position."

I have done two of the sticky key mods and the connector just unplugged then reconnected fine.

Could the other end be the problem?

If it just came loose did it break off the slider the ign moves so it can no longer move the cable?

Last edited by KDW4Him; 07-31-2015 at 10:02 PM.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Either the end of the lockout cable that attaches to the ignition housing is boogered up, or the rotating mechanism that can be seen inside the housing where the cable attaches is broke. New cable about $40, housing $150.

Last edited by bspence; 08-01-2015 at 01:34 AM.
Old 10-17-2015, 05:06 PM

Guys I could really use some help here. I have a 07 limited which had been down for 6 weeks for transmission problems. those problems were went to work pulled in the parking lot and it started acting funny shifting hard in both forward and reverse it was hitting really hard in either direction. I had the collector plate replaced it did nothing I bought a used shifter and now it runs but the key will not come out of the ignition. is it a bad used shifter I bought use? ant ideas guys? I really need help. just turned 70K I have owned it since it had 2K. Any thoughts?

Old 10-17-2015, 05:08 PM

I forgot to say the steering doesn't lock with the key off and it will shift out of park with the key off.

Old 10-17-2015, 06:05 PM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaynes848
I forgot to say the steering doesn't lock with the key off and it will shift out of park with the key off.
Is the cable shown in Figure 12 in the attached .pdf file still attached properly?
Maybe the problem lies at the other end of the cable, if so take of the trim plates around the shifter and look at the other end of the cable.
Look up the Service manual for instructions at the shifter end of the cable.

Last edited by onehundred80; 10-18-2015 at 11:16 AM.
Old 10-18-2015, 11:10 AM

I can't seem to find any file attached to what you sent. I did notice the used shifter I bought would shift while not being in the car the old one would not shift unless you pushed the btis in.

Old 10-18-2015, 11:15 AM

I can't seem to find any file attached to what you sent. I did notice the used shifter I bought would shift while not being in the car the old one would not shift unless you pushed the btis in.
Sorry it never got attached, I have added it to the previous post. Click on the red text.

Old 01-29-2018, 11:45 PM

My key is stuck in the ignition. So, if I remove this cable from the back of ignition it will come out? The ignition was replaced by 2nd owner . It all started with rcm. Long story. I pushed the black bolt on upper shift assembly. Thought it was the trans release. Key starts and operates fine. Key was also able to remove before the bolt was pushed. Haven’t been able to drive this car since it was purchased.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by JustinX
My key is stuck in the ignition. So, if I remove this cable from the back of ignition it will come out? The ignition was replaced by 2nd owner . It all started with rcm. Long story. I pushed the black bolt on upper shift assembly. Thought it was the trans release. Key starts and operates fine. Key was also able to remove before the bolt was pushed. Haven’t been able to drive this car since it was purchased.
I cannot find the screw you pushed and I have no idea what is wrong, sorry.

Old 01-30-2018, 06:48 PM

OK, first, who are we trying to assist/help?

Reymartz, Shaynes848 or JustinX?

Pictures will help and please provide a common start point. We can assist but when running comments together things get fuzzy.

Lets try again......

Do the symptoms resemble the "sticky key" issues?

Old 01-30-2018, 06:51 PM

This seems like stuck key as a result of the "Sticky key" issue.

Old 01-30-2018, 06:58 PM

Guys I could really use some help here. I have a '07 Limited which had been down for 6 weeks for transmission problems.

Those problems started when I went to work pulled in the parking lot and it started acting funny, shifting hard in both forward and reverse it was hitting really hard in either direction. I had the connector plate replaced which it did nothing.

I bought a used shifter (and got it installed) and now it runs but the key will not come out of the ignition. Is it a bad used shifter I bought used?

Any ideas guys? I really need help. Just turned 70K and I have owned it since it had 2K. Any thoughts?

Did you install this used shifter or had someone do this for you?

Old 02-03-2018, 08:34 PM

My ignition was replaced by previous owner at the expense of almost 2 thousand. I took out the spring and pin thanks to this forum. Left the black cable off, was not allowing key to come out. Problem is in the shifter assembly. I think. Spring and pin removed. Used Q-Tip to apply green grease inside. Moves like butter.

Old 08-03-2021, 07:03 PM

Hey all, having the same issue with the key stuck in the ignition. Can start the car and drive it but can’t get the key out. Dealer recommends a new shifter module which is not available anywhere. Does anyone know where to get a shifter module or will removing the black park lock cable fix the problem or can the park lock cable be adjusted on the shifter end?

Old 08-03-2021, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Ironworker 6
Hey all, having the same issue with the key stuck in the ignition. Can start the car and drive it but can’t get the key out. Dealer recommends a new shifter module which is not available anywhere. Does anyone know where to get a shifter module or will removing the black park lock cable fix the problem or can the park lock cable be adjusted on the shifter end?
It’s a wonder the dealer did not recommend a new car.
Is your problem like that outlined in the attachment in my post #9?
The sticky ignition key fix.

Old 08-06-2021, 08:47 PM

Yes same problem,what did u do to fix it?

Quick Reply: Ignition key gets stuck / throttle cable module