Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Crossfire (first time change) Spark plugs gap and how to?

Old 08-08-2015, 10:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crossfire (first time change) Spark plugs gap and how to?

Okay so I've changed several plugs over time in many different vehicles. However from what I hear and read my 04 manual crossfire has 12 plugs. (Wtf) What's the correct gap for the spark plug? And how much of a bi*** is it to change all of them?
I just got this car from a local buy here pay here and it has a bit of a rough idle. I'm starting with a solid tune up and hopefully that does the trick.
I just did ball bearings and brakes.
Any advice on the plugs guys??

Old 08-08-2015, 11:23 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Crossfire (first time change) Spark plugs gap and how to?

This should help you.

Attached Files
File Type: doc
Spark Plug Replacement.doc (673.5 KB, 706 views)
Old 08-08-2015, 11:27 AM

Great post, it has a lot of great material. Nothing on correct gapping tho that I saw..

Old 08-08-2015, 11:33 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cdcrone123
Great post, it has a lot of great material. Nothing on correct gapping tho that I saw..
I think the factory gap is .039 in.

Old 08-09-2015, 07:00 PM
Received 339 Likes on 299 Posts

Do a SEARCH for the service manual. There is a complete download available on this forum.

Old 08-09-2015, 09:36 PM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by cdcrone123
It mentions 1mm (.039") and that is the same as the Crossfire.

Old 09-19-2015, 11:59 PM

Can someone link me to a site that sells the special part for easier removal? The only one I'm finding is $71.

Old 09-20-2015, 09:16 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by eseb1
Can someone link me to a site that sells the special part for easier removal? The only one I'm finding is $71.
The only 'special part' I have ever used is removing both valve covers.
This makes it relatively easy to access all 12 plugs.

Old 09-20-2015, 09:20 PM

Thanks, you're right. I just used a spark plug socket, an extender and a wrench and that was fine, didn't need the MB tool. Only difficult part was attaching the plugs back on to the new spark plugs. Just make sure you guys use a torque wrench to make sure you don't over tighten the spark plug, its steel on aluminum.

m3fflcY.jpg
My dad helped out.

pLbr9Wl.jpg

1vAS6hh.jpg

Old 09-22-2015, 11:24 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eseb1
Here's an example:

Mercedes V6.V8 Engine Spark Plug Boot Puller 17mm Wrench for Removing | KTC Auto Tools

You can also easily find the same tool on eBay for around $16 with free shipping. I just saw one on eBay that is used that is only $10. I have a similar knock-off. The specific angling of the wrench does make it easier to pull the spark plug boots with less risk of damaging them. Though not a necessity, picking one up for less than $20 isn't a bad thing to add to your toolbox.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:56 PM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob M
Here's an example:

Mercedes V6.V8 Engine Spark Plug Boot Puller 17mm Wrench for Removing | KTC Auto Tools

You can also easily find the same tool on eBay for around $16 with free shipping. I just saw one on eBay that is used that is only $10. I have a similar knock-off. The specific angling of the wrench does make it easier to pull the spark plug boots with less risk of damaging them. Though not a necessity, picking one up for less than $20 isn't a bad thing to add to your toolbox.
I agree it's a widely used tool that is handy to have. It's inexpensive and worth the cost to save some time and possible damage to the plug wires.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:28 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Definitely get the boot puller as noted above. It made this process a bit easier. It's still pretty damn tight in the back, find someone with small hands to help

Old 11-07-2022, 04:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a question. I replaced all my spark plugs with factory plugs and new wires and new coils and new RCM and rebuilt Bosch injectors and still my car throws codes and runs rough . I reset the check engine light it runs alittle better then it starts to run rough again. its gotta be something simple . I drove it all day today and once I started to get aggressive with shifting 6 speed , it started to act up. I will try tomorrow to see what will happen once it cools down. Only thing I can think it can be is the fuel pump. the scanner said #1 cyl was miss firing then it said it was #5 and # 6 was misfiring. it was running great until today. Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks

Old 11-07-2022, 05:01 PM
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by manlaw38
I have a question. I replaced all my spark plugs with factory plugs and new wires and new coils and new RCM and rebuilt Bosch injectors and still my car throws codes and runs rough . I reset the check engine light it runs alittle better then it starts to run rough again. its gotta be something simple . I drove it all day today and once I started to get aggressive with shifting 6 speed , it started to act up. I will try tomorrow to see what will happen once it cools down. Only thing I can think it can be is the fuel pump. the scanner said #1 cyl was miss firing then it said it was #5 and # 6 was misfiring. it was running great until today. Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks
I'm rather amazed you replaced even the COIL PACKS and injectors without measuring the fuel pressure. Did you really do that?

In the last year, I have replaced the pump in the Crossfire (2007, 62,000 ,miles) and my 2005 Ranger (129,000 miles) - the pump/filter/regulator must maintain 55-60psi and after so many years and miles, what are the chances they are failing? A pressure any lower than 45 will make a BIG difference. My Ranger can't idle below 22psi and stalls at such pressure if you press the pedal (ask me how I know, I played with it a lot before taking it to the garage. )

Harbor Freight, Summit Racing, Amazon and many local parts stores sell easy to use fuel pressure test kits for $30 to $50 that make fuel pressure tests almost as easy as measuring your tire pressure. I certainly would not have gone to all that trouble before knowing the fuel pressure.

I bought this one at SUmmit Racing back in 2018 for $32 (Amazon is NOT the lowest price any more than WalMart is) - it made it easy to know why my Ford Ranger was acting up - bad pump. I've put it on the Crossfire, but only to play with it, not cause the car was acting up. (Got a reading of 58psi).

Amazon Amazon

Don't throw parts at something until you have done the easy, cheap tests. And Im sure a LOT more fuel pumps have died on our cars than coil packs. (Altho I commend you for changing wires with plugs, people who change plugs but leave the old wires REALLY should not be allowed near tools.)

Last edited by pizzaguy; 11-07-2022 at 05:08 PM.
Old 11-09-2022, 05:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for responding, No I did not check the pressure I have never done anything like that before. I figured it could be the fuel pump But since I am a amature back yard mechanic. It was running fine till I got on it.I think the code reader said that several of the cylinders had misfired . Then the code came back as number one cylinder was misfiring. When it showed many cylinders misfiring the check engine light was flashing. I read that thats not good for the Cats. My emission comes due in Feb so I got to fix it soon. There are few who wish to work on my Crossfire in my area. That is why I try to fix it myself.Wish I knew someone local to me who could help me figure this out.

Old 11-10-2022, 10:47 AM
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts

The flashing light has several causes, all to do with fuel supply or the fuel system's evap function.
Check the fuel pressure before you go any farther. ANYTIME the engine is running, and for a few seconds after you go to "ON" with the key, even if the engine does not start, you should see 55-62psi.
Even 40psi is a problem, and under 30psi, the car will do little more than idle speed.

Keep in mind that finding the fault is the hard part, once you find the fault, fixing it is usually rather easy. Most garages do no better at finding the fault than you will, because diagnosis and troubleshooting are not effectively taught these days.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 11-10-2022 at 10:50 AM.