Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Where to buy SRT-6 Throttle Body?

Old 08-12-2015, 03:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to buy SRT-6 Throttle Body?

So, dealership is telling me I need to replace the throttle body to fix my electrical problems (check engine light, battery draining), but wants to charge me $1600 for the part. Been hunting around for options, and looks like this is the best price I've found for the MB part#:

OEM New 47-60037 ON Throttle Body, 47-60037 ON Throttle Body Sale - BuyAutoParts.com

Sounds like there's a bunch of folks that have upgraded to the SRT-6 throttle body, and I was hoping there'd be some tips on best places to pick one up? Looks like I probably ought to buy the O-Ring, too:

Throttle Body O-ring
Cryslr# 05102933AA or
Mercedes# 3059970345

It's a 2005 SRT-6, with about 60k on the odometer. Sadly, need to sell it after I get it fixed, so trying not to spend a fortune on the replacement parts. My local mechanic doesn't want to touch it, doesn't like dealing with any of the MB electronics, so ended up at the dealership.

Old 08-12-2015, 04:17 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Where to buy SRT-6 Throttle Body?

If you mind used since you will be selling.

A 113 141 01 25 | eBay

Old 08-12-2015, 04:21 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: Where to buy SRT-6 Throttle Body?

From a member of the forum, I got my second at ebay. Woody

Old 08-12-2015, 04:53 PM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Well . . . I'm sure happy that you came to the forum before you opened your wallet at the stealership! I can't even imagine how they came up with a $1600.00 estimate! If you already have an SRT6 there is no O-Ring needed. Just buy another throttle body (that's assuming you actually need one) and install it. About a 15 minute job . . .

Let's start at the beginning . . . What is the trouble code that triggered your check engine light?

Last edited by RED DOG; 08-12-2015 at 04:57 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:58 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

You can get them for around $50 from car-part.com.
Just search for MB SL55 or the like.

Old 08-13-2015, 03:33 PM

Thanks guys, this is really useful. One of the things the dealership told me was that the throttle body needed to be programmed, and looking through the guides here (and the service manual, thanks a ton to whoever posted that back in the day) it sure looks like the only thing needed is the throttle calibration, which certainly doesn't look to need any special equipment.

To start at the beginning, took the car in for regular maintenance. Found out the valve covers were leaking, so got those gaskets replaced. Shortly after that, had a check engine light come on, and started having a problem where the battery was draining while it was sitting in the garage. Didn't really realize how bad it was for awhile, as had other things to deal with, and wasn't driving the car regularly. Got around to taking it to the dealership to have them diagnose why the battery was draining ($165), and they came back with the throttle body replacement. Haven't been out to pick it up from them yet, but sure looks like I'll just do the work myself given what I've learned here. Doesn't hurt I can afford to go through quite a lot of used parts before I get anywhere near there estimate ($1600 part, $300 labor, $180 battery).

Old 08-13-2015, 03:40 PM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

So do you know the code that caused your check engine light to come on??

Usually the oil leak around the the valve covers is not actually from the valve cover gaskets . . . it's from the breather covers. There is no gasket for the breather covers, they are sealed in place with permatex form-a-gasket type sealer. The OEM sealant dries out cracks and fails . . . a very common problem on all Crossfires.

Regarding the throttle body, I've really never heard of a throttle body failing or causing the battery to drain (buy maybe it could happen). If you do end up replacing the throttle body buy a used one. It does NOT have to be programmed but after you install it you could do a throttle reset though . . .

Perform a throttle reset.
1. Turn the key to the on (not start) position, the position just before the starter turns over.
2. Press the gas pedal to the floor with the key in the "on" position.
3. Hold the pedal to the floor for five seconds, then turn the key back to the "off" position (don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.
4. Don’t remove the Key. Wait 2 mins. for a full alignment.

When you pick up your car I hope you let the stealership know that you will not be coming back there.

Last edited by RED DOG; 08-13-2015 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:37 AM

Don't know the code yet, will probably pick up car tomorrow, and will hopefully be able to pry enough information out of dealership to get at it. Has been a bit tricky, since lose the code every time the battery dies, and I've never bought an odb2 reader myself.

And, I'll have to check where the leak is coming from, dealership said it was still leaking, so it sounds very likely that the breather covers are the issue. Thanks to ala_xfire's links, saw this guide (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...over-leak.html) so at least I know what to look for now, and can figure out if that's the real source of the leak. Fortunately, my local mechanic (not the dealership) did the valve gasket replacement, so it wasn't ridiculous.

Yeah, I've got a lot of choices here in Denver, not planning on trying that dealership again. Really, should have just came here first. This has really been a great forum, with great folks, first found it after dealership not being able to figure out engine start issue, even after several months, and then finding the RCM fix here. Been grateful ever since.

Old 08-15-2015, 12:16 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just bought mine from this vendor on FleaBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141617605597?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
autohubshop. They will replace if returned within 30 days. Mine came pretty clean and in great shape.

$55

Old 08-15-2015, 04:19 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Got mine from eBay for $50 from a low milage donor